- Text Size +
Chapter Sixty-Five
Point of View: Zoe

I couldn't breathe.

Nick was standing proudly in front of his huge stereo system in his living room, the music blaring around the room from the speakers, his face brilliantly bright. Kayla was biting her nails, sitting in the chair, her face red but eyes excited.

I had never been so proud in all my life.

As the music filled the air around us, and Kayla's voice held the longest note I'd ever heard her carry, I could feel tears threatening my eyes and I clasped my hands in front of me, feeling sick with the amount of emotion that was flooding me. As soon as the song ended, I looked at Kayla, my hands outstretched, "Honey," I said.

Kayla quickly scooted to sit next to me and grabbed my hands, tears on her face to match those pouring down mine. "Do you like it?" she asked, "It's not done yet, Nick said we need to master it and record some layers and fix it up to radio standard, but it's my first demo, and..."

"It's perfect," I whispered, kissing her on the cheek. She was so incredibly happy, it made my heart swell. I could feel Nick hovering just a couple paces to the left, and I sat back a little, holding out my arm for him to join the moment. Nick sat down and I hugged them both around their shoulders and squeezed. "Your momma would be so proud of you, Kayla," I told her. "I'm proud of you."

"So am I," Nick spoke up.

Kayla shook with excitement and squealed, "I'm proud of me, too!"



At the house, Kayla was on cloud nine as she and Nick helped me prepare dinner. We made Kayla's favorite - a creamy chicken casserole - and Nick learned how to mash potatoes. "I've never done this before," he laughed as he used the utensil to smash the hell out of the boiled spuds. I was just glad I'd opted to put them into a plastic bowl - the way he was hitting them probably would've broken a glass one.

Afterwards, though not without groaning form Nick, we watched Kayla's favorite movie - The Bodyguard starring Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner. Before the movie was over, despite his whining, Nick was engulfed and I'm pretty sure there was even a tear or two when the swells of I Will Always Love You started. He pretended to sneeze and covered his face several times before the credits were up and the lights were turned back on.

"You'd sound great singing that song," Nick told Kayla, and she flushed.

"Focus on one beautiful song at a time," she pleaded, laughing.

I followed behind, giving them a little distance as we carried the dishes into the kitchen. Nick was smiling broader than I'd ever seen anyone smile before, and Kayla's face positively glowed. I'd known her all my life and had never seen that glow ever. He took the dishes from her and put them in the sink, turning on the hot water. She grabbed the dish towel and swatted him across the back and his eyes widened and he waved his hand, jumping away as she repeated the action.

I didn't interrupt until Nick had grabbed at the extendable hose thing on the sink and prepared to spray. "Okay," I called, horrified of the mess that would've made. "Enough. I'll do the dishes, Kayla you bring this one home." I thumbed at Nick and took the hose out of his hands, returning it to its place.

As they bustled out the door, I laughed to myself at how much things could change in a mere two and almost a half weeks.