- Text Size +
Chapter Eighty-Two
Point of View: Kayla

I laid on the bed, hugging a teddy bear to my chest, fuming at Zoe. I couldn't believe her. It wasn't even like she was supposed to be used to acting like my mom, I was already long grown up before my mother died. Zoe had been a support system, a beam. And actually I wouldn't have stayed with her at all had it not been for those months of immobility she'd suffered immediately following the accident. My stupidest mistake ever had been staying when she needed me. I'd thrown away a life.

The fact was I was not a little girl no matter what Zoe thought.

Damn, I thought, as the alarm on my cell phone went off, reminding me to take my birth control pill, I left my bag downstairs.

I had to face the beast.

I inched down the stairs, hoping she'd fallen asleep on the couch, but no such luck. The TV was frozen right where I'd left it, and the light pooled out of the kitchen. The kitchen, where my purse was.

Zoe was at the table, pouring over tests she was grading. Finals. I grabbed the strap of my purse, intending to turn and leave before she noticed I was there.

"Yeah," she mused, not even looking up, "you don't wanna miss one of those birth control pills. Screws up the whole cycle…"

I stood in the door awkwardly, holding the bag, and realized it was open and all messed up. I looked up in shock. "You went through my bag?"

Zoe looked up.

"You colossal bitch," I said. I looked inside, my pills and the condoms were all gone. "Where are they?"

Zoe reached for her own bag and pulled out the birth control and the condoms. "Her pleasure huh?" She asked, "I'm sure Nick will appreciate you thinking of him." She tossed them onto the table.

My face burned, with both embarrassment and anger. "I hate you," I sputtered. The moment the words were out of my mouth I knew I sounded like a bratty seven year old.

Zoe, however, did not point this out, which made it worse. She just stared at me. She shrugged. "You think you hate me now? Just wait until you find out what I did to those diet pills.” She looked at the sink.

"I paid FORTY DOLLARS for those!” I yelled, realizing what she meant.

“Well next time don’t buy cancer pills,” she snapped.

“You're trying to ruin everything," I cried.

She rolled her eyes, "What? You're trying to tell me Nick won't stay with you if you don't lose weight and fuck his brains out?" The harshness and vulgarity of the words were so uncharacteristic and harsh that I was unable to do anything but flap my mouth like I was a fish. Zoe scoffed, "If you really believe that, why are you staying with him?"

I stared at Zoe in disbelief.

"Good night," I snapped and returned to my bedroom.