- Text Size +
Chapter Eighty-Nine
Point of View: AJ


It felt weird pulling into Nick's driveway with a crap ton of cops and photographers staring at me. I gave the photographers the finger and slammed my truck's door shut. I'd parked behind a black Prius. Who the fuck does Nick know that owns one of those flipping things? I wondered. Maybe it's Kevin. Tree hugger.

I didn't bother knocking.

I stepped into the foyer. "Yoooo, Nicky! Nicky! It's me. Get your ass in here and greet me!"

Nick came out from the kitchen, surprised. "AJ, hey!" he said, grinning, "I didn't know you were coming over, this is epic!" He turned to look back at the kitchen. "Kayla! C'mere!"

Kayla? I wondered. Had I been out of Nick's loop so long that he'd gotten a girlfriend? I started to wonder about it, but then she walked into the room.

You know how in movies when guys see hot girls everything gets kind of blurry and the guy's jaw drops and the girl, in slow motion, shakes his hair and that borderline porno music - bow chicka bow bow - plays?

It really happens.

"Sweet mother of God," I hissed.

Nick looked at me kinda funny, but didn't say anything, except grin and point at Kayla. "AJ, this is Kayla... Kayla, this is AJ."

"Uh huh," I muttered stupidly.

Kayla smiled, "I've heard so much about you," she gushed.

At least one of us has, I thought.

Nick caught my eyes as they swept over the length of Kayla's body. He stepped on my foot. "Jesus, Carter," I chirped as his foot came crashing down.

Kayla's eyes darted to Nick's foot, then to me, and she looked at Nick, eyes squinting suspiciously. Nick shrugged.

Then, what had to be the mother of the goddess came into the room.

"Zoe, you're leavin' already?" Nick asked, pouting.

"Some of us have work still," she commented, rolling her eyes. She looked at me, "You must be AJ," she said, looking at my tattooed arm.

"Yeah," I looked at her. "You must be the owner of the black Prius," I said.

"Unfortunately," she answered, laughing. "Driver's Education," she explained, "I'll take a hundred miles to a gallon any day."

"AJ wouldn't know what that's like," Nick slapped me on the back, "His truck gets like one mile a gallon."

"Twelve," I corrected. I shrugged, "I keep it because… well…. Why the fuck not?" I asked, "Right?"

Kayla smiled, "You drive a truck, huh?" She looked interested. "I love trucks, they're so fun."

I nodded, "It's a big red one."

“Nice!” Kayla squealed.

“You can take the girl out of the country, but can’t take the country out of the girl,” muttered Zoe.

“So you’re a country girl?” I asked, looking at her.

She smiled, “At heart, yes.”

"Yanno what they say about big trucks though, right?" Nick said, his voice just a little desperate sounding.

"What?" Kayla looked confused. Zoe was smirking at him.

"Com-pen-sate-ing," Nick said slowly, pointing at his crotch.

I raised my eyebrow, "Compensating huh? What the hell ever." I turned to Kayla, and winked, "You want to see it?" Either is fine with me, I thought mentally.

Nick's face fell as Kayla's face lit up at the suggestion. "Yeah!" she said, bounding toward the front door. I was kinda hoping for the other one, but okay.

Zoe patted his back and whispered something to him as Kayla was out the front door and onto the walkway. "Hey wait," Nick pouted, despite whatever it was Zoe had just told him, "I can't go outside..."

"Wait here then," I said as Zoe started moving toward the door, too, "We won't be long."

Nick watched as the three of us poured into the driveway out his front door, an officer watching us all very closely. Nick pouted and sat down on the floor. He reminded me of a golden retriever dog.

Kayla was already by the truck, her eyes wide, "Oooh," she gasped. "It's shiny, too."

Zoe came up behind me. "I like Nick; I don’t like you," she said pointedly.

I glanced at her, "What?"

"You heard me," she said, and she smirked, "And you know what I mean by it, too." She went to her Prius door. "Be good," she yelled to Kayla. She did the Robert DeNiro eye-point thing and Kayla rolled her eyes. "I'll be back tonight."

Kayla watched, annoyed looking, as Zoe pulled away. She turned to me. "Can I get inside?" she asked.

"Sure.” I opened the door for her and she climbed inside. “Nice, ey?” I asked.

Kayla nodded. “It’s huge.”

“Wanna go for a ride?” I asked.

She glanced at the house. I followed her gaze. Nick’s face was pressed against the window by the door, looking out, pleadingly. “Not right now,” she answered.

“We’ll have a quickie,” I said, regretting the sexual overtone of the words the second they were out of my mouth. What the fuck is wrong with you? I thought bitterly, the idea of Nick’s face pressed against the window ebbing into my head. This is Nick’s girlfriend. You can’t hit on her. She’s forbidden ground. “Yeah, no. You’re right.”

Kayla slid out of the truck and headed back to the door. I stood stationary, trying to catch my cool. I liked every woman I met, this was no big deal. I’d just ignore it like I did with all the other sexy women Nick dated.

I turned around. Kayla was on the stoop, waiting for me. Nick was hovering just inside the door, looking worried.

I’d like to be offended by the worry on his face, I thought, But who can blame the guy?

It wouldn’t be the first time I’d stolen his girlfriend.