- Text Size +
Chapter Forty Three - September 8

It was probably a good thing that I took the second shift. It was seven in the morning and I was sitting on the couch feeding Joe when Liv came stumbling down the stairs. She was still wearing the black dress.

"Nick?" she called out.

"In here," I said.

She stumbled into the living room. She looked around in surprise at all the kids laying under the 'tent city.' Her palm pressed into the side of her head.

"These aren't all ours are they?"

I started to laugh. "Did you have good dreams last night?"

She blanched. "I don't remember a lot about last night."

I grinned. "Do you remember the water tower?"

"Water tower?"

Oh, boy. She had been trashed.

"I'll explain later."

"Why are all the kids sleeping under sheets? Where is everyone?"

I set Joe's empty bottle down and lifted him up to my shoulder.

"That's part of the long story," I said.

Before she could ask another queestion, Kev came downstairs. He gave me a nod; I nodded back. A couple minutes later I heard the sound of coffee brewing. Kev walked back into the living room with a glass of water and his hand cupping what I could only assume were asprins.

"She okay?"

Kev cracked a smile. "She has a hell of a hangover. She just informed me there's hammers inside her head."

I winced. "Ouch."

I put Joe back into the crib and picked up Ally. Liv drifted towards the kitchen. She came back with a glass of water.

"It looks like you guys had everything under control," she said lightly. I smiled. No need to tell her it took two old women and Addy's dad to get everyone corraled. I shrugged.

"It was easy."

Liv knelt down and touched Brooke's cheek. She was curled up to Baylee, fast asleep. Mason had his arm around Shelby. James was sleeping with his mouth wide open at Shelby's feet. I swear he had one eye cracked open. He slept just like Howie. Noah had fallen asleep in the playpen.

"How's your head?" I asked. She looked over at me.

"Not as bad as I thought it would be."

Kev came back downstairs. "Anyone want toast?"

I yawned. I was exhausted. Food was actually the last thing on my mind.

I would be glad to get all the kids back to the hotel and take a nap.

-------------------------------

AJ pulled the bus up to Kev's house around noon. Liv and I got all the kids buckeled in; that in itself was a chore. Kev and Addy drove to the church to meet her dad, his mom, Jerald and Tim. Brooke toddled into the lobby happy as could be. Noah clung to Liv. I was glad he couldn't talk yet. He would have so blown my cover about yesterday.

Molly, Howie, and Leigh met us in the lobby. Shelby skipped up to Molly and began to chatter excitedly. James ran up to Leigh all smiles. Howie grinned at me. I knew that grin.

"You owe me," I said lightly.

"No, this was payment for the donkey," Howie said.

I just laughed.

"Baylee, you and Kay can hang out with us for awhile," AJ said. He picked up Joe and Ally's carseats. I glanced over at him.

"Where's Bri?"

AJ just smirked.

"Later."

We all rode up to the fourth floor. Leigh and Howie disappeared into their room with James. Baylee carried Kayleigh into AJ's room. Shelby jumped up and down.

"I want to sleep in a tent again!" she said. AJ looked at me. I smiled.

"Later."

Liv and I headed into our room.

"What time's the wedding?"

"Three."

Liv closed her eyes. "Oh, God."

"You go take a shower," I suggested. "I'll feed Brooke-ster and Noah."

Liv smiled and kissed me softly. "You're amazing."

I grinned. "I know."

She walked into the bathroom and I heard the water start to run. I ordered up some fruit for Brooke and got out a jar of baby food. Noah clapped his hands excitedly.

I timed things perfectly. I had just finished feeding Noah when the guy knocked on the door with the room service tray. I opened the door and tipped the guy.

I was just about ready to close the door when I saw Brian. He was carrying a bucket of ice and he looked completely out of it.

"Bri?"

He turned his head.

"Nick..." he said slowly.

I looked up and down the hallway. No one was around.

"How was last night?" I said. Bri blinked.

"I...don't know how I'm going to face my mom today," he said. "There were things in that bag..."

He trailed off and walked back to his room.

If I had been curious about the contents of Liv's bag from the porn shop before, I was dying now. I closed the door. Brooke stood up.

"FOOO!" she squealed. I laughed and set her up with a fruit spread on a blanket on the floor.

I hoped Brian and Leighanne would take pity on me and watch Brooke and Noah tonight.

I mean, after all...one good turn deserves another.

Right?

--------------------------------

Howie decided to take a turn at driving the bus. We ended up making it to the church with barely a minute to spare. Since we made up the bulk of the guest list, I think they would have waited for us anyhow.

If you're looking for a detailed description of the wedding, you've asked the wrong person. I'm not detailed oriented on that kind of stuff. All I can tell you is that one of Kev's brothers officiated (I can never remember which one's which), Addy wore a pretty fluffy white dress and Kev had on a tux (that would have looked much better if he still had the cornrows, thank you). They exchanged rings and 'I Do's' and all that stuff. Kev's mom cried buckets. Mason stood beside Kev and made faces at Shelby who stood up in the pew and tried to outdo him. Finally Molly had to pull her right onto her lap and lock her arms around the little booger.

When the ceremony was over, we all lined up outside and threw birdseed at the happy couple. I'm pretty sure James ate more than he threw. Shelby forgot to untie her sack of seed and just chucked the whole thing at Kev's head. Mason thought it was hilarious and did the same.

I could be wrong, but I really think Kevin might not like Shelby all that much. I can't wait to see the picture of him looking all pissed off.

Kev had hired a photographer from Lexington for the occasion. We all sat around outside the church and watched as Kev and Addy took shots on top of a pretty white horse.

"This is beautiful," Leigh said with a sigh. Liv nodded. She had that oogly look in her eyes that girls get when they see something mushy.

"Those are going to be beautiful pictures. The leaves are just beginning to turn. It's like a fairy tale."

"Until the horse takes a crap," AJ whispered in my ear. I laughed. I pretended to stretch, but I leaned into him.

"Did you get your kiss?" I whispered. He glanced over at Molly. He shook his head 'no.'

I wanted to ask what happened but I figured I'd let it go. I wrapped an arm around Liv. She smiled and leaned into me. I kissed her temple and glanced over at Brian. He was staring at Leighanne with his mouth open.

I don't know what happened to him, and I'm not sure I want to know.

The reception was held right outside the church. Tim and Jerald hooked up some speakers. Addy's dad drove off and returned about ten minutes later with the two old ladies from the night before. They had a car full of food. I think all of us guys groaned.

The jig was up.

"FOOD!" Shelby screamed.

"Hi dear," one of the ladies said with a smile. Shelby skipped after her. "Did you have fun last night?"

"Uh-huh. Can you show me how to make those marshmallows that you gave us last night?"

"Last night?" Liv asked. I rubbed my neck.

"Yeah..." I said. "About last night..."

"All of your kids are so precious," the other lady said. "They were no problem at all. They all went to sleep around the same time. Even the babies."

Liv waited until the ladies went back to the car. She put her hands on her hips. I watched her earrings dangle. It was better than watching her nose wrinkle up like it did when she caught me in a lie.

"I thought you said you guys handled everything?" Liv asked sweetly. I exhaled hard.

"We needed a little help," I said. Liv snorted.

"Hey, we had to get your asses off a water tower," AJ said.

At least AJ had my back. Liv's mouth opened in surprise.

"Water tower?" she squeaked.

"Liv, we were trashed," Leighanne said. Brian was standing behind her holding Kayleigh. His grin widened.

"I'm afraid of heights," Liv said in a small voice.

"I know. It's a good thing you don't remember it then," I said. She looked around and then leaned into me.

"What did you do to me?" she whispered. I looked at her in surprise and laughed.

"What? I didn't do anything."

"We didn't..."

"No!" I paused. "I wanted to wait until you were sober. Like tonight."

Liv blushed. Before she could say anything else, Addy's dad started ringing a large cowbell.

"Dinner!" he called out.

The whole reception was very laid back. I don't think I've seen Kev so happy in a long, long time. He sat right by Addy, his hand caressing her back or brushing the hair from her neck. She looked like she had come out of her hangover fairly well. When she finally did get up and walk away from Kev, she came over to the table and hovered over Liv.

"I just want to tell you I had fun last night," she said. Liv looked up and smiled.

"I'm glad."

"We're fun sober too," Leigh said enthusiastically. Addy laughed.

"I'll keep that in mind."

Howie passed behind me as Addy walked off. He leaned down right next to my ear.

"Did you get to look through Liv's bag?" he whispered.

"Why?" I whispered back. Howie grinned.

"That's a no," he said. He walked off whistling.

I almost growled.

After dinner, it was time for dancing. We all got to kick off our shoes. The grass felt nice underneath my feet.

Kev and Addy danced to Keith Urban's Your Everything. Liv started crying; Leighanne wasn't far behind. When Bri and I walked over to get some napkins, I leaned into him.

"Can you watch Brooke and Noah tonight?"

"Why?"

"Because you owe me."

Bri grinned. "Did you see what was in Liv's bag?"

I practically threw the napkin in the air.

"NO! I was too busy being Mr. Mom."

Brian laughed. "Fine, we'll watch 'em."

It was worse than Christmas. Howie and Brian had been privy to the contents of the mysterious porn shop bags. It was my turn.

Of course, before that happened, there was a wedding reception to enjoy. And that meant an official Backstreet serenade.

We chose Brian McKnight's Back at One. The girls all sat in a row in chairs, Addy in the spot of honor, right in the middle. The last of the summer fireflies danced around in the night air. I figured a sexy solo would be the perfect way to get Liv revved up. I sank down on my knees and looked up at her. She smiled down at me. I could tell by the look in her eyes that I was winning major brownie points.

"Say farewell to the dark of night
I see the coming of the sun
I feel like a little child, whose life has just begun
You came and breathed new life into this lonely heart of mine
You threw out the life line
Just in the nick of time
"

Liv was putty in my hands. As I tossed my mic in the air, Liv wrapped her arms around my waist.

"Leighanne said she could watch Brooke and Noah tonight," she murmured into my dress shirt.

"You asked her?" I said in surprise.

"Mm-hmm," she said.

Out of the kindness of his heart, Kev offered to drive Liv and I back to the hotel on their way to the airport. I said goodbye to Brian and Howie. Liv and I lucked out and Brooke and Noah were both fast asleep. Mason and Shelby were huddled under the picnic table whispering. I hated to think what they were cooking up. AJ was nowhere to be found. Neither was Molly.

I hoped that boded well for him.

"You guys have a good night," Kevin said as I helped Liv out of the SUV. I poked my head back in and smiled at him and Addy.

"Have a good honeymoon," I said. I gave him a cheesy thumbs up. "Go knock her up before tour."

Addy turned a shade of red that actually looked purple. Kev just grinned; I'm pretty sure that was his goal.

"See you in a few weeks for recording," he said. I nodded and closed the door. He drove off and I smiled at Liv.

"Let's go see what's in that bag of yours," I said teasingly. She looked confused for a moment, then mortified.

"Oh god, I forgot we went to the porn store..."

I scooped her up and carried her into the lobby. I did a little finger wave to the guy at the check-in desk. While we waited for the elevator I gave Liv a long, slow kiss.

"I didn't forget," I finally whispered.

I had been thinking about it for almost twenty-four hours. I was tired of suspense.

I needed action.