- Text Size +
Chapter Seventy Five - October 22 - Orlando, FL - Hard Rock Live

"I am so glad you're here tonight."

"I wouldn't miss this for the world."

I was in my stage clothes, holding Liv in my arms and I didn't think the stars could have aligned any more perfectly.

The news of Peyton's birth had landed us on the cover of People. I had answered so many questions about delivering my own child that Brian kept teasing me that fans were going to purposely try to go into labor so Nick Carter's hands would be the first ones to touch their child.

He's such a smartass sometimes.

"I hate that it's over, but I can't wait to have you home," Liv said softly. I kissed her softly.

"I can't wait to be home."

I heard Mason and Shelby introduce us from the stage. I grinned.

"That's our cue."

I followed Bri under the stage. He glanced over at me.

"You ready?"

I smiled.

"Let's do this."

We jumped out on stage and I felt the adrenaline start to pump.

"How we doing tonight Orlando?" I screamed. The crowd went nuts.

"It's been a crazy year and a half," AJ yelled. "But we're proud to end this amazing tour right here in Orlando."

"We hope that you'll be stickin' around for some new music and another tour," Howie said.

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, we ARE the Backstreet Boys," Brian said.

"And this is for you," Kevin added.

It was all kind of a blur. We had been doing the same set and the same steps for almost a year. I think all of us could have closed our eyes and done it in our sleep. Yet, it seemed somehow...bigger this time around.

When we took our last bow, I foolishly felt tears spring to my eyes. Kid Nicky was getting sentimental. Kevin seemed to realize it. He gave me a big bear hug.

"Thanks for coming back," I said. He grinned.

"It's a little late to thank me."

"You know what I mean."

He nodded. He knew. He always knew what I meant.

It was bittersweet saying good-bye to everyone. Leighanne and Liv hugged each other for a good five minutes. Bri and I just grinned and enjoyed the show.

"So we'll have to get together for some playdates," I said.

"Absolutely. Kayleigh needs that female bonding."

I leaned against him. "I need some male bonding."

Bri smacked my ass. I jumped and he laughed.

"Too much?"

"Too much."

We wrapped up our goodbyes and Liv and I drove back home. She was quiet, her chin in her hand, staring out the window.

"What are you thinking about?"

She leaned back and looked at me.

"I was just thinking about how unexpected life is sometimes. In a good way."

I took her hand.

As I drove along and Liv finally fell asleep, I thought about all the things I wanted to do. I wanted to teach Noah to fish. I wanted to teach Brooke how to really play the drums. And I wanted to see Peyton reach all of those major infant milestones.

The guys and I had decided a long break was in order. How long that would be, I didn't know. All I did know was that we would never lose touch.

We were the Backstreet Boys. We kept coming back even when people thought we were gone for good.

But we were also dads. As much as the fans needed our music, our kids needed us a million times more. I wanted to send my kids to a real school and I wanted them to do things that I didn't necessarily get to do.

Hell, I was even thinking I might even patch things up with mom...

Okay, that was wishful thinking.

But, I did know that the first thing I would get to do as a normal dad was take my kids trick-or-treating. I would carve the turkey at Thanksgiving and maybe not massacre it this time. And I would dress up like Santa this Christmas.

Life held endless opportunities and I wanted to take every moment and savor it.

On October 22, 2009, I was headed to Phoenix, Arizona with the guys to promote This is Us and spent the entire flight wondering why I continued to date Lauren when I knew I didn't love her. At that moment in my life, I never thought that I'd be able to have the kind of family Brian had. It just all seemed so out of reach. I was destined to spend my life going from woman to woman. It didn't make me happy, but it just seemed like what life had handed to me.

But I was wrong. Life had handed me so much more. If I could go back and visit my twenty nine year old self, I'd tell him not to give up the search.

Great things happen when you least expect them.

And their names are Olivia, Brooklyn, Noah, and Payton.

THE END


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Nick Carter had the perfect life. The perfect wife. The perfect family. He was living the dream.

Aaron Carter had made a lot of mistakes. Met the wrong people. Did the wrong things. Thanks to his brother Nick, he had spent almost seven years in prison. Escaping from prison was just another wrong... It was time for revenge.


Check out the exciting conclusion to the Coaster series with Book Five (a short story) - Seven Days.