- Text Size +
Chapter Eight – December 24

“I can’t believe it’s Christmas Eve and I’m on bed rest.”

Liv was lying on the couch; she was absolutely miserable. I felt helpless.

Liv had been fine when we were in L.A. In fact, we had both agreed that so far this pregnancy was actually easier than the first. Then about two weeks ago, right around the time the guys and I finished the album, the swelling had started. Though her feet and legs had swollen when she was pregnant with Brooke, this time even her face and hands were swelling. I tried to be the calm one, but even I couldn’t deny that something might be wrong.

Four days ago we had our latest doctor’s appointment. Liv was near tears by the time Dr. Tresher got into the room. She had ditched her contacts for her glasses, complaining of a massive headache and blurry vision. Dr. Tresher had launched into a battery of tests that all pointed to one conclusion: Liv had developed gestational hypertension with the possibility of it turning into preeclampsia. I didn’t really understand all the particulars; all I knew was that it wasn’t good.

Dr. Tresher had put Liv on bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy. By day two, Liv had hit her breaking point; her impatience and frustration were at an all-time high. Today was just a little bit better; the Christmas spirit was kind of sucked out of the both of us but we were doing our best.

Brooklyn was sitting by the couch. I watched her grab onto the cushion and push herself up. She peered up at Liv.

“Mama,” she said. It had taken Brooke about a month to transition from just saying ‘dada’ to adding ‘mama’ in the mix.

Liv smiled and picked her up. At the same time the doorbell rang.

“That’s got to be your mom and Mike,” I said. I headed out of the living room and down the hall. I opened the door and gawked. Somewhere behind a large pile of bags and boxes was my mother-in-law and her boyfriend. I was certain of it.

“Holy crap,” I managed to say. I grabbed a tall stack of boxes and stepped back. Liv’s mom and Mike walked in. Mom peered around the boxes and made her way to the living room. Mike shifted his packages to shake my hand.

“Merry Christmas,” he said warmly. I smiled.

“Merry Christmas.”

“How’s Liv?”

“She’s…as good as can be expected,” I said, my voice cracking a little bit. Mike put a hand on my shoulder.

“Carrie’s been worried sick about you two.”

“She doesn’t have to worry about me,” I said.

By the time Mike and I got into the living room and put down the rest of the presents, Liv was deep in conversation with her mom.

“It’s going to be fine mom. I really don’t want to think about it today.”

Usually I would make a joke and try to distract everyone. I don’t like to think about unpleasant things. But this time was different. The woman I loved most in the world and our son were in an extremely dangerous situation. I couldn’t help but feel guilty; to see Liv lying on the couch looking like a puffy, sweaty version of her usual self was killing me. I sank down on the edge of the couch and propped her feet onto my lap. She gave me a grateful smile.

Even with all of the stress of the current situation, it was hard not to be a little bit excited as we watched Brooke experience her very first Christmas. Liv set Brooke down and mom began to push present after present towards her. Her eyes grew wide and she slapped her pudgy legs in happiness. She reached out her hand and plucked a bow from the present nearest her. We all laughed as she stuck it in her hair. She looked up at me and smiled.

“That’s beautiful Brooke,” I said. She clapped her hands and reached for another bow.

Aside from the gift bows, her favorite presents ended up being a plastic telephone and a turtle sand pail that she insisted on wearing as a hat.

“I’m pretty sure I’m never going to get her off the phone when she grows up,” I said with a smile.

“If she’s anything like her grandmother then she’ll never shut up,” Liv’s mom said grinning. Mike nodded his head vigorously behind her back. She turned around and gave him a good natured slap.

“Eyes in the back of my head,” she reminded him.

“Nick, why don’t you go get mom and Mike’s present?” Liv said. I turned to look at her; she nodded towards the tree.

“Oh yeah!”

I stood up and walked to the tree. I rooted around in the branches.

“You didn’t have to get me anything,” Mike complained.

“It’s a joint present,” I explained. I pulled out an envelope and handed it to them.

“You haven’t even touched your presents,” Liv’s mom complained.

“Well show me yours and I’ll show you mine,” I said with a laugh.

Liv’s mom tore open the envelope. She pulled out two tickets and glanced at me and Liv in confusion.

“What are these?”

“Read them, mom,” Liv said with a smile.

Mike glanced over her shoulder.

“A trip to Hawaii? Really?” he looked over at me. I shrugged.

“A little Livvy bird told me that her mom’s always wanted to go there,” I said lightly.

“This is too much.”

“Mom, it’s not too much,” Liv argued. “Look at all you’ve done to help us out with Brooke.”

“Well I can’t leave you alone now,” she argued.

“Those tickets are good for a whole year,” I interrupted. “Next summer or fall when we’re traveling all over the country I expect you guys to go enjoy a well-deserved vacation.”

“Well…thank you. Now open your presents.”

I laughed. “You’re welcome.”

Liv and I tore into the presents. The first thing I unwrapped with a tiny little football onesie. I held it up to my chest.

“I don’t think this is going to fit me,” I said.

“It’s for the baby.”

I laughed. “I know. It’s cute.”

At that moment Brooke grabbed onto my leg and hoisted herself up. She made a grab for the onesie.

“Baby girl, this isn’t for you,” I said. She grunted as she reached for it again. I handed it to her. She plopped down on her bottom and began to chew it.

“Okay, have it your way,” I said with a smile.

“You’re a pushover,” Liv’s mom teased. I gave a little sigh of defeat.

“Tell me about it.”

--------------------------------------------------------------

That night I was in a deep sleep when I felt Liv pushing on my shoulder.

“What’s up?” I mumbled.

“I’m not feeling good,” she whispered.

I opened my eyes and stared into the darkness. My left arm was still asleep as I rolled over and turned on the lamp.

Beads of sweat fell across Liv’s forehead. Her face looked like rubber.

“I need a…a…”

She leaned over the side of the bed and heaved into a little trashcan.

I grabbed her hair and pressed the back of my hand against her neck. It was soaked with perspiration.

“Liv, I think we better take you to the hospital,” I said.

Because of Liv’s dislike of hospitals, she typically would put up a fight. But she shuddered and nodded.

“I need to go,” she said weakly.

I placed an emergency phone call to Liv’s mom and spent the time waiting for her to get to the house by helping Liv get dressed. She clung to my arm. I could feel her heart racing.

“Nick I don’t want to lose him,” she said in a small voice.

“We’re not going to lose him,” I said. “Everything will be okay. I’m not going to let anything happen to you.”

I helped Liv into the car and waited by the front door. Mike sped up our drive and jerked the car to a stop. Liv’s mom practically flew out of the passenger side.

“Nick…”

I didn’t want to waste any time; I cut her off.

“Brooke’s fast asleep. I’ll call you the minute I know anything,” I promised.

Before she could answer I slid into the car and cranked it to life.

I’m pretty sure I broke every speed limit from our house to the hospital. I careened into the sweeping emergency drive and laid on my horn. An attendant came out with a wheelchair.

“Is she in labor?” the guy asked as he opened the door.

“No but we’re having pregnancy complications,” I explained. I got up and walked around the car. Liv grabbed onto me and I helped the attendant get her into the wheelchair. “She needs to be seen right away.”

“Pull your car into one of the available spots. I’ll get her inside.”

My palms were clammy as I got back in and grabbed the steering wheel. I glanced at myself in the rearview mirror; I was as white as a ghost.

I’m not the type of person that prays a lot, but before I got out of the car, I folded my hands up against the steering wheel and closed my eyes as tight as I could.

I was pretty sure that I hadn’t earned a lot of brownie points with the man upstairs but just this once I needed a little help.

I just hoped He was willing to listen.