- Text Size +
*Warning: This chapter has evidence of sexual assault/rape. To understand the next couple chapters, this one must be read.

Chapter 18: Brian


It happened yesterday, but it feels like just a few minutes ago. I was on my way to pick up Precious from her job at the supermarket. I pulled up front and didn’t see her. I waited about five minutes, then pulled into a parking space, not wanting to be parked illegally in front of a store. I went inside and looked around for someone that might know Precious’ whereabouts. I found a co-worker of hers that I’d seen often and asked him if he had seen her.

“I thought she was waiting out front,” he replied. “She told me that’s where she’d be waiting for you to pick her up. Would you like me to help you look?”

“No thanks,” I said. “I just probably missed her. She might be waiting when I get out there. If not, I’ll check around back.”

We bid farewell and I headed back outside. I’d parked close to the store, but Precious wasn’t waiting at the car. I didn’t see her anywhere out front and started to worry. As I walked around the back of the store, I spotted an alley. It was getting too dark to see, so I headed back to the car for the flashlight that Harry always kept in the glove compartment. I went back behind the store and turned on the flashlight. A horrible feeling of dread had begun growing in the pit of my stomach as I’d gone back for the light, and it was getting stronger as I started down the alley. My throat was dry and my hands were trembling. Suddenly the flashlight illuminated an image I’ll never forget.

Precious was on the ground, her clothes torn and stained with blood, her shoulder bare. She weakly opened her eyes and called out to me when she saw me. Her voice was weak, but I was at her side before she even finished calling my name. Upon closer inspection as I took her in my arms, much to my grief, I saw that she was dying. I could see in her eyes that there was something she wanted to say, and it was the only reason she was still fighting for life.

She took my hand and whispered, “Te amo, Brian.” (I love you, Brian.)

I couldn’t contain my tears, and didn’t try. I held her closer and brought my lips to hers in a gentle kiss.

“Te amo, Precious.” I whispered. (I love you, Precious.) There was something I had to say to her before it was too late. Before I could say it, however, Precious weakly removed her ring and held it up for me to take.

“Take it.”

I took her hand, the ring pressed between our palms. I had to say it now; there was no more time. It was something I had been trying hard to learn ever since the school year first began. I took a deep breath and looked deep into her eyes, seeing the light I loved so much beginning to fade. I spoke.

“Vas a estar en mi corazón para siempre, amado angel.” (You’ll be in my heart forever, beloved angel.)

Precious smiled and slipped the ring on my finger.

“Stay gold,” she whispered as she closed her eyes. I felt her relax against me, not even fighting for her last breath. My beloved Precious was gone, an angel in heaven now.

I closed my eyes and held her body tightly. My cries became vocal as I emptied my heart in that alley.