- Text Size +
Chapter 2- Harry

Brian entered the kitchen the next morning as I was fixing breakfast looking a little pale.

“You okay, bro?” I inquired.

Brian nodded as he sat down at the table. “I had a nightmare, but I’m okay.”

“A nightmare? What was it about?”

Brian shrugged. “Can’t remember.”

He didn’t meet my eyes, so I couldn’t tell if he was lying or not. I set his breakfast in front of him just as the phone rang. He jumped up and grabbed the phone from off the wall.

“Hello?”

I waited while Brian listened to the caller. Suddenly, there was a small sparkle in his eye. It had to be our cousin Kevin. No one else could put that sparkle in Brian’s eyes like that. If his eyes had been glowing, I’d know that it was Precious calling him.

“Let me ask Harry, but I think it’s all right.” Brian took the phone away from his ear and turned to me. “Is it all right if I spend a few days with Kevin?”

“As long as Kevin will make sure you get your work done.”

Brian rolled his eyes at me. “When have I ever not done my schoolwork?”

He had a point. The boy was the only person in the gang I knew that was infatuated with school.

“All right. How long?”

Brian asked Kevin, and listened for the answer. “A week or two,” he told me.

“One and a half. You’re not staying there for two whole weeks.”

Brian stuck his tongue out at me, but told Kevin anyway. I could hear Kevin good-naturedly make fun of me. Brian laughed and agreed with him, whatever he said.

“So when are you picking me up?” he asked.

“I can take you over there after lunch, Brian.” I offered.

“Okay.” Brian relayed what I’d said to Kevin and it sounded like Kevin agreed with it as well.

-----------------

Brian was already waiting for me at the car when I left the house. I chuckled; the boy was practically bouncing up and down waiting to go to Kevin’s house.

“Gee, you wouldn’t be excited, would you, Brian?” I asked.

“Darn right!” Brian exclaimed as I opened his door. “It’s been too long since I’ve seen him.”

I shook my head as I got in my side and started the car. “You’d think it had been an entire year with the way you’re bouncing around.”

“Well, it sure feels that way!”

Country blared through the speakers as we pulled out of the driveway. Brian sang along at the top of his lungs to Toby Keith.

American Girls and American Guys
We’ll always stand up and salute
We’ll always recognize
When we see Old Glory Flying
There’s a lot of men dead
So we can sleep in peace at night
When we lay down our head


I turned up the volume for him, knowing that this was one of his favorite songs. He smiled at me and kept singing. For a boy that just started puberty in recent years, he sounded amazing.

My daddy served in the army
Where he lost his right eye
But he flew a flag out in our yard
Until the day that he died
He wanted my mother, my brother, my sister and me
To grow up and live happy
In the land of the free.

Now this nation that I love
Has fallen under attack
A mighty sucker punch came flyin’ in
From somewhere in the back
Soon as we could see clearly
Through our big black eye
Man, we lit up your world
Like the 4th of July

Hey Uncle Sam
Put your name at the top of his list
And the Statue of Liberty
Started shakin’ her fist
And the eagle will fly
Man, it’s gonna be hell
When you hear Mother Freedom
Start ringin’ her bell
And it feels like the whole wide world is raining down on you
Brought to you Courtesy of the Red White and Blue

Justice will be served
And the battle will rage
This big dog will fight
When you rattle his cage
And you’ll be sorry that you messed with
The U.S. of A.
`Cause we’ll put a boot in your ass
It’s the American way


Brian threw his head back and sang at the top of his lungs with all the enthusiasm he could muster (which was quite a lot for him).

Hey Uncle Sam
Put your name at the top of his list
And the Statue of Liberty
Started shakin’ her fist
And the eagle will fly
Man, it’s gonna be hell
When you hear Mother Freedom
Start ringin’ her bell
And it feels like the whole wide world is raining down on you
Brought to you Courtesy of the Red White and Blue



Yep, he could definitely have a career in front of him if he wanted. Well, if we could even afford it. Unfortunately, that’s not an option quite yet.

I pulled up in front of Kevin’s house just as the song ended. Brian didn’t even wait for me to turn off the engine before he was unbuckled and out of the car racing to Kevin’s front porch, where Kevin himself sat on the porch swing waiting with a carton of lemonade. He wrapped Brian in a tight bear hug and swung him around. By the time I got to the steps, the two of them were sitting and drinking lemonade.

“Not saving any for me, huh?”

“Hi, Harry,” Kevin greeted as he stood.

I shook his hand and handed Brian his bag that he’d left in the car. We looked up as a sporty red convertible pulled up to the curb. A 5’11” brunette climbed out of the car and headed our way.

“Is that Camille?” Brian asked.

Oh, this must be Kevin’s girlfriend. Kevin confirmed it and introduced us. I would have wanted to stay and chat, but I had to head home to take care of Julia then I had to head to work. I’d leave Julia with Lance again. I didn’t trust Sadie to take care of her, and I knew Brian didn’t either. I said my good-byes and told Brian not to annoy Kevin in the next week and a half.

“If anyone’s gonna be annoying, it’s Kevin!” Brian called as I stepped in the car.

I laughed as Kevin grabbed Brian around the neck and gave him noogies. He was going to have the time of his life.

That’s the life he deserves, Harold Baker Littrell, a voice in my head said. He deserves enough money to buy that guitar he’s always wanted. He deserves a life like his cousin.