- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Oh my goodness has everything been hectic! I'm very sorry this has taken so long...I've been dying to update but haven't been able to. I hope you all are still interested. The next update will be coming soon...I promise!
Something told me, as I carefully climbed up into my hammock, that sleep wouldn't be coming easily that night. I would say that a good three hours, of listening to AJ snore, passed before I gave up on my pitiful attempt to sleep...it was useless to try any longer. Not only was my mind overloaded with everything surrounding this potential hike...but AJ sounds like a flippin' freight train! Finally, I quietly rolled from my hammock and let my feet sink into the sand. Doesn't everyone love the feeling of the cool sand seeping between their toes? I know I do.

As I made my way over, taking a seat on one of the stumps we had placed around the fire, I noticed the beauty of the night...it had a soothing quality that I couldn't overlook. The waves crashed softly onto the shore...there was a soft crackle coming from the low fire that was still giving off a romantic glow...twinkling stars dotted the midnight sky...now only if I had a gag for AJ's big mouth, this night would be perfect.

Suddenly there was a new sound thrown into the mix, cutting into my near perfect night. Looking around, I quickly realized that the creaking noise was coming from one of the hammocks. That meant someone else was awake...it had to be either Kris or Howie because the whole flippin' island knew AJ was still passed out...heck, I'm surprised the rescue crews weren't able to find us by following that awful sound his mouth was omitting.

That makes me wonder if anyone, in history, has ever been rescued by someone following the sound of their snoring. Leave it to AJ, to set that world record! Geesh! Someone shut him up already! I am so about ready to stuff a banana leaf down his throat...there would be another world record...death by banana leaf.

“I heard you get up.” Ah...Mr. Dorough was obviously having issues sleeping as well if he had heard me get up. “Mind if I join you?” Why did he even bother to ask? The man was already sitting down beside me, so it's not like my answer really would have mattered, anyways. I think that's a man thing...they ask questions like that because they think they have to, but they don't really listen to your answer because they are just going to do whatever they wanna do, anyways. Ugh.

“Sure. Why not? I could use the company anyways, I guess.” If I was going to be completely honest, at that moment, I'd have to say that part of me just wanted to be alone so that I could enjoy the night. But on the other hand...I couldn't deny that his voice was the one voice that could melt me, right down to the core. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mean to sound like some crazy stalker fan, because I'm not. I've met Howie on several occasions, but I know how to respect his personal space and life, as well. I'm not that creepy fan who follows him around then sneaks into his hotel room, stealing his boxers. I just adore his voice.

“It's a gorgeous night, tonight.” Unlike me, Howie sat in the sand, leaning back on his hands with his head tilted back as he stared up at the night sky. The moonlight was hitting his face in almost an angelic way. Listen to me...I'm starting to sound all sappy like Kris...she's the girly girl, not me. And that 'nice night' line is so cliché...but it really was a beautiful night...so I guess it can't technically be classified as a line, it's just a drastically overused comment to jump start a conversation.

“Yeah. God really blessed us with some serious natural beauty. It's so easy to get caught up in life...that we forget to take the time to appreciate the majesty of it all.” Tilting my head back, I gazed up at the vast sky that was packed full of twinkling stars. The sky was so clear, I could see every little star that could be seen with the human eye...how amazing it would be to have a telescope at that moment.

“Tell me about it.” A soft sigh escaped his lips and almost sounded sad. “Don't get me wrong...I love what I do...but sometimes we miss out on so much because we just don't have the time. My life has flown by...sometimes I sit back and wonder when I suddenly got old.” He chuckled lightly but it almost seemed forced. I couldn't imagine living his life. A good portion of his life has been spent conforming to a very hectic schedule...it was no wonder that he felt like he missed half it.

“I can't imagine how tough it's been for you...and the other guys. Do you have any regrets?” With a wrinkled brow, I shifted to face him, rather curious about his answer. Was it possible that Howard Dorough regretted his career move to join the group? He did say he loved what he did...but maybe there was a part of him that resented it?

“Oh goodness no. Well...maybe certain parts...like not having more time off when my sister or dad passed. I would have liked to have been home more.” There was that sad sigh again. His face portrayed a glimmer of disappointment mixed in with that sadness...and it made my heart ache to see those emotions etched in his features. “Sometimes your dreams require you to make sacrifices though...and we've all made them.”

“Do you feel that the sacrifices were worth it?” Maybe I was digging too deep...it certainly wasn't any of my business to be asking, but it had come out before my brain had the chance to stop it. I just hoped that he didn't take offense to the question. To be completely honest, I wasn't really trying to be nosy...i just really cared about him and how he felt. So sue me for wanting a friendship with the man...to become someone he felt comfortable talking to.

“In some ways...yes they've been worth it, but in other ways...not so much. Does that even make sense?” I knew his light chuckle was in spite of himself, trying to make light of the subject. Or maybe he was trying to make himself feel better about those sacrifices he didn't feel were worth it...I couldn't tell.

“I guess that's to be expected, though.” My gaze had long since turned from the stars, to the man sitting beside me. I felt an ease with him, that was sort of new to me. I didn't really expect to feel this way with him...to feel like I could tell him anything or even bare my soul, to him. “But if the pros outweigh the cons...I'd say you're doing pretty good. Besides...your voice has touched a lot of people...so I think that adds a lot to the list of pros.”

“You know...” He turned, to look at me, his eyes meeting mine. “...you're right. The pros really do outweigh the cons...and I have a lot to be thankful for. I guess I really wouldn't change anything. None of my sacrifices have been drastic...so I suppose there isn't much room for complaint.”

“None of us are one hundred percent satisfied with our lives...there's always something we would have done differently...or would like to change...but over all, I know that I haven't got much to whine about...except that awful snoring behind us! Good grief...I feel like I'm shouting, just so you can hear me over that horrendous noise!” With that, the tone of the conversation changed and we both started laughing.

“I was really irked about being stranded on this island, at first...but you know...it's not turning out half bad.” After standing up, he dusts the sand off his pants and offered me his hand. “I'm glad we got to talk a bit tonight...but I do declare we should get some sleep. And I know how to shut AJ up...” I watched him as he walked over toward AJ's hammock. My jaw hit the sand and my eyes nearly popped out of my sockets when I saw the scene unfold.