- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Winner: Best Novella - 2010 Felix Awards

Runner Up: Best Thriller/Suspense - 2010 Felix Awards

Runner Up: Most Creative Storyline - 2010 Felix Awards
Photobucket


Chapter One - March 8

"Hey daddy, do you know what next Thursday is?"

I glanced in the rearview mirror and smiled. Noah had his eyes crossed and was intently staring at his nose. Brooke was bouncing in her seat, her blonde pigtails flying in the air, barely containing her excitement.

"Next Thursday? Hmm..." I grinned. "Oh yeah!"

I saw her eyes light up.

"It's National Peanut Cluster Day!" I said happily.

"DADDY!"

"It's her birthday!" Noah said. Brooke leaned over and poked his arm. He gave her a poke back.

"Guys, knock it off!"

Brooke turned her attention back to me. I turned my attention back to the road.

"And you know how old I'm gonna be?"

I bit the inside of my lip. "Hmmm...let's see. I think you're going to be seven."

"That's right! I'll be seven and NoNo will be six!"

I glanced back in the mirror. Noah looked at her with an unmistakable glare.

"Don't call me NoNo at school!"

I stifled a laugh. The horrors of a nickname.

My name is Nick Carter. I've traveled around the world, raced boats at break-neck speeds, been a part of one of the best selling bands of all time...

And I loved driving my kids to school.

Brooklyn (six, almost seven--thank you) and Noah (just turned six) were enrolled at one of the best private schools in Tampa, Tampa Prep. Brooke was a bubbly, bright first grader and Noah was a smart, thoughtful kindergartener. I think I scored brownie points for both of them on Parent-Teacher conference day. Who knew Backstreet Boys fans grew up to be teachers?

I slowly pulled behind the other cars dropping off their children and turned around. Brooke already had her seatbelt undone.

"Have a good day at school. Be good. Eat your lunch. You have money for one cookie each. Noah, don't make any bets to try to double up. Give me a kiss."

Brooke leaned over the seats and gave me a loud smack. She grabbed her backpack.

"Love you daddy! Remember...seven days!"

I laughed. Noah leaned forward and kissed my cheek.

"Bye daddy. See you this afternoon."

I watched him scramble out and run after Brooke. He hated being in her shadow and yet he didn't want to stray too far. I watched as they made their way inside the building. I waved at the teacher at the door. As I pulled away, I swore that she fanned herself.

Now on a typical day, I would go home, write a few songs, walk the dogs, and just enjoy the day. Sometimes I would take our youngest daughter Peyton (age four...and a half) to the library for storytime. She always enjoyed curling up on my lap and twirling a piece of her long brown hair around and around her finger as she listened to the best storyteller in the world...

Her mom.

Liv had been volunteering at the library. Her years of working for peanuts at a library in tiny-town Wisconsin had allowed her to worm her way into the hearts of the children's librarians at the Tampa Public Library.

She was just good like that.

But today was different. Liv was at home with Pey, no doubt making something amazingly good for dinner.

And I was on my way to the studio.

It had been six years since the Backstreet Boys had released any new music. With so many children between the five of us, we had decided that a break was in order.

The break was over.

It's funny, but even when life takes all of us in completely different directions, it always brings us back again. We had been back in the studio a week and there was so much creative energy flowing that I was pretty sure someone should hang a BioHazard sign on the recording studio door.

Truthfully, I don't think there was a better time to get back together. Most of our kids were in school (or, in Brian's case, homeschooled). The days of tons of little babies with wet or dirty diapers were behind us.

At least for most of us.

"Molly offered to be room mother for Ally and Joe's field trip to the zoo," AJ was explaining as I flew through the door.

"You're late," Kev said. I tried to look apologetic.

"Sorry, drop off line was long this morning."

I glanced over at AJ. He looked like he had a bomb strapped to his chest. In reaity, it was just a front and back baby sling.

"You brought the boys?"

"Molly's busy," AJ said. "Can you take Tristan from the back? I'm going to put them down in their bassinets so we can get some work done."

I walked behind him and scooped up a pudgy little guy with crazy curly red hair and brown eyes that oozed with attitude.

"Hey buddy," I said.

AJ lifted a dark haired boy from the front and wiggled out of the sling. He made a face.

"Jesus Brayden, how can you crap so much?"

I grinned. Tristan was still smelling baby powder-y. I was safe.

"So when you having some more?" I teased. AJ gave me a look.

"The shop is closed. Molly's oven only bakes things in two's."

Bri snorted. I followed AJ out to the outer room and put Tristan down in the bassinet. He stretched out and yawned.

"They're like little six month old sumo wrestlers," I said.

"It's baby fat," AJ quipped. He put Tristan down on the couch and stripped him down. "I wish Shelby still had some of that baby fat."

I grinned. "How's Lil' Red doing?"

"She's eleven going on twenty-one. She came downstairs this morning wearing a skirt so short that a strong wind would have torn it right off."

I laughed. "Sucks to be you."

AJ smirked. "Just you wait. Your day will come."

I didn't want to think about it.

After a diaper change, AJ and I headed back in the studio.

"Are we ready?"

Kev held up a finger. He was on the phone.

"Are you sure? Yes, I know you're a professional when it comes to chicken pox. Tell Daniel I love him. Okay, love you too. Bye."

Kev closed the phone and looked up.

"Now we're ready."

We jumped into the music. There were no expectations that we were going to make a platnium record. There was no wish for girls to beat down our doors or rappel off our roofs. This was just five guys getting together for the sake of music.

"So we're not singing about booties. At all," Brian said. He held up a song in question.

"We'll leave that to Baylee," I teased. Bri smiled.

"He's more interested in following his dad's footsteps I think," Bri said lightly.

"So when he puts out an album are you hoping it will go triple myrrh?"

Bri just looked at me. AJ laughed.

"I saw that episode of South Park last night too. It was on Nick @ Nite. You know when they play South Park on there that we're doing the slow march to our graves," AJ said with a sigh.

"Don't worry Jizzle. You have five kids that might take you in once you can't feed yourself," Bri teased.

"Yeah, I feel bad for all of you fools. All forty and crusty and stuff," I said.

"Your day's coming," Howie said. He looked over at Kev and they grinned.

"I am going to be far, far away from you guys that day," I said. It was two short years away. I didn't want to think about it. For all the grief I gave the other guys...

They'd probably end up burying me alive.

After a little more good-natured ribbing, lunch, and AJ breaking for a feeding and diaper change (for the babies, not himself - haha), we got back to work.

My cell rang about an hour before I needed to leave to pick up the kids. It was Liv. I smiled. Her voice was always a welcome break.

"Hey, sexy. What you cookin me--"

"Nick?"

I could hear the panic in her voice. I leaned forward, frowning. Howie gave me a curious look, but I just turned.

"Liv what's wrong?"

"You need to come home. Please come home."

"What? What's wrong? Did something happen to Pey?"

The sobs were coming fast. Liv was losing it on the other end. My pulse spiked.

"No it's Brooke. She's...been kidnapped."