- Text Size +
Chapter Ten

-- Liv --

I had never expected my life with Nick to be anything but wonderful. Seven happy years...ripped apart when Brooke was stolen from us. It was a struggle just to get out of bed every morning. My nights were haunted with visions of my little girl. At times she seemed so close that I could touch her.

Hate is a horrible thing, but I truly, to the depths of my soul, hated Aaron. I wanted him to suffer as much, if not more, than what Nick and I had suffered.

Nick had taken the phone call from his mom badly. Hell, we took everything badly. He had disappeared upstairs claiming that he needed some quiet time.

I felt like a failure. I could barely get through the day without collapsing into a fit of tears. Noah and Payton were suffering from my inability to be a mother.

Being left alone with two small children and a house full of FBI agents was too much for me. Once again I called my mom. Even though she had shed more than her share of tears, she was still able to watch Noah and Pey. She showered them with all the love that was trapped within the hard impenetrable fortress of my heart.

The heart that prayed my girl would be brought home alive.

After mom arrived, I sat on the couch watching her play with the kids. I hadn't eaten in days...hadn't showered. I had never felt so weak.

By five thirty, Nick still hadn't come back downstairs. I stood up and headed towards the stairs.

"Honey, where are you going?"

"Nick..." I said quietly. I grabbed onto the railing and ascended slowly. I moved like someone who was fifty years older than I really was.

I checked our bedroom, the bathroom. The last place I checked was Brooke's room. I couldn't help the loud sobs that escaped. Her bed was still made...everything untouched. Nick was nowhere to be found.

"Brooke," I moaned. I pressed my forehead into the doorframe.

When I finally felt like I could move again, I made my way to the attic. I had thought that I had heard the door to the attic open and close while I had been lying drugged up in bed. The only person I could assume that was going up there was Nick.

The attic was dusty, but tracks on the floor indicated someone had indeed been up there...and recently.

I drifted from old box to old box. Everything held a memory. Finally I made my way back to the far corner. The tears came anew. I was facing Brooke's crib.

There was no way I could ever forget the day that Nick had bought it. Brooke had been happily turning circles in my tummy when Nick had whipped out his credit card for the beautiful sleigh crib.

I ran my hands over the smooth wood. I was halfway along the top when my hand ran over a piece of paper. I stopped and grabbed the small folded wedge. The paper was new. I unfolded it and looked at Nick's familiar handwriting.

Liv,

I can't sit around any longer. My gut instinct tells me that mom is leading the Feds on a wild goose chase. I'm following the one thing I've always relied on...my heart. Brooke will be home and back in your arms, no matter what the cost. I love you with everything I am...

-- Nick


I sank down to the floor. Nick was gone. He had slipped out undetected, more than likely just minutes after he had gone upstairs. I hoped that wherever he was, that he was safe.

The thought of losing Nick in this whole process would be the final kiss of death.

---------------------------

-- Nick --

4:35 p.m. Tampa time / 3:35 p.m. Cozumel time

"Good afternoon passengers. Please ensure that your seatbelts are fastened and your electronics are off until cruising altitude. In case of loss of cabin pressure, masks will drop down from the overhead compartment. Put the mask on immediately before assisting others. In case of a problem, the exit doors are located here and here. Thank you and have a good flight."

I closed my eyes. The stewardess sat down and I ran my fingers over my seatbelt. I was going to cut it close. Cozumel was only an hour behind us. I didn't know if I'd be able to make it in time.

But I had to try.

7:15 p.m. Tampa time / 6:15 p.m. Cozumel time

"The captain has indicated that we have begun our initial descent into Cozumel. In preparation for landing, please assist your cabin crew by placing your seat backs and tray tables into their upright and locked position. The flight attendants will be coming through the cabin to collect any trash or additional service items that you may have, please pass them to the center of aisle...."

The moment that the wheels touched the runway and the seatbelt light had once again gone off, I was out in the aisle. I pushed past several disgruntled passsengers and wove my way to the front of the line.

I only had forty-five minutes to get from the airport to Neptuno. And I needed to make a stop along the way.

The countdown had begun.

7:45 p.m. Tampa time / 6:45 p.m. Cozumel time

It was party hour. Every warm body in the area was either partying in the street or in the club. The line to get into Neptuno stretched far. I didn't have time to chummy up the muscular oaf at the door. I didn't know that much Spanish and I didn't have that much time. I went around the building, keeping my eye open for a staff door.

Bingo.

I opened the door a crack, squeezed inside, and ended up right by the bar area. It must have been the escape route for the bartenders to go grab a smoke. I stuck close to the walls. My lack of sleep and the lights were disorienting. I didn't even realize how heavily I was breathing. I willed myself to keep an eye out for the guys...and for Aaron.

My hand reflexively went to the bulge in the waistband of my jeans. The gun, bought from an unreputable source, was loaded and ready to go at a moment's notice. My jaw tensed.

He had to be here. And I had to fight him.

I wasn't going to rest until he was screaming for mercy...and Brooke was safe and sound.

---------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: I made a time change in Chapter Nine to when Jane called (ten after three). My timeline got a little helter-skelter. I'm back on track now. :)