- Text Size +
Chapter Twelve

-- Nick --

I didn't remember there being quite so many people packed into one place at any given time. I was in a ratty t-shirt I had worn for days and I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb.

Not a good thing when you're trying to be a chameleon.

I needed to be alert. Sharp. If the single 'Fed' down here found me before I found Aaron, well...I didn't want to think about that. I wound my way around a large group of girls. They gave me a strange look but just kept on drinking.

It was officially the end of day four. I didn't want there to be a day five...or six. This had to end tonight. I hoped that the guys were here. I hadn't told them I was coming. I just hoped that they had stationed themselves at all the exits. I thought about calling someone about that bartender service door...

But that just seemed like wasting time. Time that I could use to look for Aaron.

My first stop was going to be the table where things had gone down so many years ago. I prayed Aaron was stupid enough to loiter around that area waiting for the goons to show up.

The goons who were long gone.

I was almost to said table when from out of nowhere strong arms wrapped around my neck and yanked me back. I let out a gasp. There was a pause and the arms let me go.

"Holy fuck! Nick?"

I turned around. AJ was standing there with a knife like he was going to filet me into tiny pieces.

"I saw blonde hair and that crappy t-shirt and..."

He stopped mid-sentence and hugged me. The big bad man with the huge fucking knife was hugging me like I was his grandma.

"We haven't seen him yet," AJ said as he pulled back.

"Keep an eye out. If you see the other guys, let them know I'm here. I don't want Kevin to go all 'George of the Jungle' on me."

AJ nodded. Any other time he would have laughed and made some joke. It just didn't seem like the time to do it.

"Will do," was all he said.

We split up. AJ had broken the spell. It was like a page in Where's Waldo had suddenly gotten easier. I spotted Howie by the bar (good, the door was covered) and Brian roaming the dance floors.

The only one I didn't see was Kev. But that was okay. Because he was sneaky.

Sneaky was good.

I finally got within direct sight of the table. My hand went to my waistband. My gun was ready.

I didn't know what I would do if we actually did catch Aaron. I wasn't going to kill him without knowing where Brooklyn was. That was my main goal. Find Brooke.

My eyes roamed the crowds. It was a warm evening and most people were wearing t-shirts or tank tops. When I spotted a figure wearing a hoodie drawn up around the face a million red flags went up.

The figure was thin...practically skeletal. It moved in a jerky fashion as if nervous...on alert.

It was Aaron. It had to be. Without realizing it, I began moving fast towards him.

This whole nightmare was almost over.

Almost.

--------------------------

-- Aaron --

It was after seven and the table was empty. This wasn't right. I was getting nervous. Something felt off.

I smelled a trap.

I needed to get out of here. The air felt oppressive. The people milling around were bothering me. My skin felt like it was crawling with a thousand invisible ants.

The first thing I needed to do was get outside. Then I was going to call Nick. I was going to kick the shit out of Brooke. Maybe then the disease ridden thing would wake up and scream. I loved to hear Nick beg when she screamed. I--

Someone was moving fast in my direction. I turned my head and stifled the scream that rose up into my throat.

Nick.

He was here. But that was impossible. That was...

I didn't waste time trying to rationalize. I tore off pushing people left and right. There was a back door that led to an alley. I was lighter and faster than he was. I was still invinicible from the coke that I had snorted earlier.

Screw going back and kicking the little bitch. I was going to go back and kill her. Hopefully Nick would follow me. I wanted to see the light leave his eyes as the life left her body.

How dare he track me. Like I was a dog.

I reached the back door. I yanked it open and tore off into the alley. He had to be at least a minute behind me he had to---

A strong arm wrapped around my neck. I brought my leg back hard but the figure seemed to anticipate my move. I felt something sharp in my side.

A knife.

"Don't even think about it."

I recognized the voice. Sure, I hadn't seen him for years, but I couldn't deny the voice.

Kevin.

I tried to draw in a breath. I slowly lowered my leg. As I did so, I heard the back door close.

"Kevin? W--You've got him."

Nick sounded satisfied. My vision clouded and all I could see was red. Hot flaming red.

"Aaron and I were just having a little chat," Kevin said. His arm tightened around my windpipe. "He's going to lead us to Brooke, aren't you?"

I coughed. He loosened his grip, but only slightly.

"Aren't you?"

Nick came around and faced me. I glared at him. I wished all my anger and spite could radiate out of me and bring him to his knees.

This wasn't how it was going to end. I wasn't going to let it. If I was going out, I was going out fighting.

Nick was intently staring me down. I didn't take my eyes from his. My flailing hand reached into my waistband. I grabbed my knife. I didn't have a second to spare. Trying to draw in another breath, I rammed the knife between my open legs.

Kevin let out a scream that I have never heard in my life. It was animalistic. Nick's eyes widened. Kevin's arm dropped as he fell back onto the ground. I took off. I knew Nick. He wouldn't chase after me and let one of his friends bleed to death. Thick drops of blood were flying off my knife as I took off down the alley. I heard a gunshot, but it ricocheted off of a trash dumpster, missing me by a mile.

I was free. They had messed with the wrong man. I would take the scenic route back to my hideout.

And then I would dispose of Brooke Carter once and for all.