- Text Size +
Chapter Sixteen

"It could have been worse. A lot worse. I think what we're looking at is pneumonia as a direct result of a staph infection from an open cut and dehydration."

"But she--"

"She should be just fine. I'd say maybe three or four days. She'll be feeling better by tomorrow after getting hydrated."

My eyes went from the IV coming out of her tiny hand up to the IV bags that hung above the bed. She had struggled to stay awake all the way to the hospital but sleep had taken her. The medication only made her more drowsy.

Not a second had gone by since I had knelt down beside her that I had let her out of my sight. The doctors had told me several times to step out of the room. I hadn't listened.

Liv had been beside herself when I had made the call. She had taken the first available flight; her mom was staying with the kids. It was too bad I couldn't have had a mom like that.

My mom was currently rotting behind bars. Right where she needed to be.

Mike had stayed with me for quite awhile. We didn't talk much, but it was nice knowing he was there. He was just as concerned about Brooke as I was. He had just left to pick Liv up at the airport. Then he had to go and be debriefed.

I didn't know how much more I could love that man.

"Mr. Carter?"

I turned. A woman was standing in the doorway. Nicely dressed.

"May I come in?"

I nodded.

She came over and stood by me, looking down at Brooke. The bed seemed to swallow her up.

"My name is Alicia Sanchez and I'm one of the hospital psychologists. I specialize in talking with children. I'd like to talk to Brooklyn when she wakes up."

"She's been through a lot," I said.

"I know. And she's going to have a lot of questions. As I'm sure you do."

My worst fear was that I was going to lose the sweet energetic little girl I loved so deeply. I hoped that we could convince her that safety still existed. I nodded.

"I'm going to check on her tomorrow. I'd also like to talk to you and your wife then as well."

"That would be fine."

She left and it was just Brooke and me once more. I lowered my head to the mattress.

It had been a long five days...

-----------------------

"Nick? Nick, honey wake up."

A soft hand was pressed against my shoulder. I looked up. Liv was peering down at me.

"What? Wh--"

"You fell asleep."

I sat up. Liv glanced at Brooke and then at me. She wrapped her arms around me. I held her tight.

"I promised you I was going to bring her home," I whispered. "But I had a little help."

Liv laughed through tears. Happy tears. "Mike told me you wouldn't stay out of it."

I kissed the top of her head. "Not where our daughter's concerned."

A low moan filled the room. Liv was back on her feet. She crawled up on the bed and placed a gentle hand on Brooke's cheek. I saw Brooke's head turn towards it. She took a deep breath.

"Mommy," she whispered. Liv leaned down.

"Yes, sweetie. It's mommy. Mommy and daddy are here. You're safe."

"Daddy?"

Brooke's hand, the one I had been holding before I fell asleep, slid across the mattress. I took it in my own.

"Hey BooBoo. Just get some rest. We're not going anywhere."

It was a rough day watching Brooke fight through the fever and chills and everything else that came along with the pneumonia, but it still didn't compare to the five days we had spent without her. Liv and I were picking at some horrid hospital food when I heard a light knock on the door.

"How's she doing?"

The sun was setting and I had three guys peering in from the doorway. I smiled.

"Hey! Come in."

AJ walked in and Brian and Howie trailed behind. Each of them put a stuffed animal on the bed.

Thankfully, there was no giraffes.

"I can't thank you guys enough," Liv said. Bri smiled.

"We didn't do anything."

"You guys don't give yourself enough credit. You chased him all the way down here," I pointed out.

"Yeah...well, Kevin was the one to hunt him down like a bloodhound," AJ said. "He has the battle scars to prove it."

The guys each made a face. I had a feeling I had a similar look on my own.

"How's he doing?"

"Addy just got down here. Her dad's watching Dan. He's feeling better now that he has his own personal nurse," AJ said with a grin. Liv rolled her eyes.

"She also threatened to kick our asses for not providing adequate backup," Brian said. Knowing Addy, that was a serious threat.

"I'll try to avoid her when I sneak in for a visit," I said. Bri smiled.

"Has she...said anything?" Howie asked. He nodded in Brooke's direction.

"Not much. The psychologist is going to come in and talk to us tomorrow," I explained.

"I can't even imagine..." AJ trailed off. Everyone got quiet. Being in the lighthouse with Aaron for such a short time had been enough to rattle me to the core.

Brooke had been stuck with him for days.

The guys spent just a little longer talking to Liv and I and then they each leaned down and kissed Brooke's forehead. They were all leaving for home the next day. Everyone except Kevin. I hugged each of the guys in turn and watched them walk out of the room. My brothers.

True brothers.

Once they had left, I reached for Brooke's hand again. Liv took other.

"Nick..." Liv said quietly. She didn't have to say any more.

Brooke's hand squeezed mine. I could only assume she was doing the same to Liv's hand.

It was then that I truly knew that it was all going to be okay.