- Text Size +
Chapter Eighteen - March 15

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Brooklyn, Happy Birthday to you!"

Brooke smiled up at us and then looked back down at the biggest chocolate cupcake I had ever seen in my entire life.

"Where's the candle?" she asked.

I knew that flames and hospitals didn't mix, but I couldn't help but pull out a match. I swiped it against my leg and held it up to her. She gave me a look that reminded me so much of Liv when she was trying not to roll her eyes. Even still, she closed her eyes and blew it out.

There was no doubt in my mind that Brooke had made a wish. I just hoped that whatever it was would come true. My baby deserved the world. I was feeling sentimental again. My wish had already been granted. Brooke had been kept alive by the grace of angels to see her seventh birthday...and hopefully many, many birthdays to come.

Brooke fell back against the pillow and stuck a big gob of frosting into her mouth.

"How's it feel to be seven?" I asked. She tilted her head thoughtfully.

"It feels...chocolatey."

---------------------

March 18

"My birthday is lasting forever!"

Brooke was sitting on my lap; Liv was right by my side. We were on our way home. Brooke was well enough to travel even though every now and then she still had a coughing spell. The fever had broke and with it her energy had returned.

Liv had already contacted a psychologist back home so that we could continue counseling sessions. We had decided that even Noah and Pey (but especially Noah) would benefit from a couple sessions. The last thing we wanted to do was pretend this never happened. Of course, in my mind, that would have been next to impossible to do.

"Is papa going to be there when we get home?" Brooke asked. She had been asking about Mike constantly.

"Both your papas," I assured her. My dad had promised to stop by.

"And memaw?"

"And memaw," I confirmed.

Brooke didn't even ask about my mom. I pressed my head back against the seat and closed my eyes.

Even if mom did eventually get out, there was no way in hell she was going to see her grandchildren.

At least my children, that is.

------------------------

"BROOKE!"

"NONO!"

Noah had charged at his sister the moment we pulled up. She hopped out of the car and his arms were around her like rubberbands. She hugged him tightly.

He didn't even care that she had just called him 'NoNo.'

"Your hair is short!"

"It got cut-ed."

"But it will grow," Liv said gently.

"MEEMAW!"

Liv's mom was standing in the doorway holding Peyton's hand. Brooke managed to get out of Noah's hug and ran towards her. Liv's mom knelt down and held out her free arm. Brooke was soon wrapped up and covered with kisses.

As this was going on, Mike appeared in the doorway. Our eyes met. He smiled.

"Welcome home," he said quietly. It was a far different voice than the one I had heard screaming with authority in Cozumel.

"It's good to be home," I answered.

Mike glanced down at Brooke.

"Do you know how many birthday presents you have to open?"

Brooke's head shot up. "Presents?"

Noah ran up behind her.

"There's a HUGE one! Can I help you open it?"

Before, Brooke would have screamed a loud 'NO!' and made a big show of unwrapping it herself while Noah squirmed on the floor. But surprisingly she nodded.

"Yeah, you and Pey can help."

Liv's mom stood up and the kids scampered inside.

"I think we're back to normal," Liv whispered. I pressed my lips against her temple.

"As normal as Carters can be," I corrected.

-------------------------

My dad was late (as usual), but he did show up in time for cake. The kids sat admiring Brooke's presents including her own karaoke booth (which had been the present in the big box). I hadn't seen dad for awhile. I was shocked to see how old he looked. He wrapped me in a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry this happened Nick," he whispered. He pulled back and I saw the dampness in the corners of his eyes.

I knew that those tears were as much for me and Brooke as they were for Aaron. No matter what, Aaron had been his son.

And then there was the knowledge that mom had been in on the whole thing.

Even though they were divorced, I think dad still felt partially responsible for her actions.

"Have you heard from Angel?" I asked. Dad sighed. Before he could answer, the phone rang. For the first time in over a week, I didn't fear the sound.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Nick. I wanted to call and say hi to Brooke."

It was Angel. She sounded weak...and congested.

"Angel, how are you?" I asked gently.

"I've...been better."

I had always teased Angel about her 'twin' sense, but even she couldn't deny there was a connection. Deep down, I prayed that she wouldn't blame me. Angel was really the only sibling I had left (well, the only one that talked to me without wanting money). I didn't want to lose her and Logan in my life.

"Angel, I--"

"You had to do what you had to do. I prayed that he would come to his senses but..."

She trailed off. A sob escaped.

"Nick, we've got to stick together."

I rubbed my eyes.

"Sis, I'm not going anywhere."

We talked for a few more minutes and I passed the phone to Brooke. While she chatted happily with her auntie Angel, Mike pulled me aside.

"I saw your mom yesterday," he said quietly. Dad was on the other side of the room swinging Peyton around. I folded my arms. "Oh?"

"I think she's going to be in a padded cell for a long time. The squad chose me to tell her about Aaron's death."

My eyes widened. "How'd that go?"

Mike pulled the collar of his shirt away from his neck. My eyes widened. I could see deep bruises in the shape of long fingers.

"Not so hot. But that just tacked on a few more years."

"When do you think she'll get out?"

"I'd say ten to twenty. By then Brooke will be all grown up."

I watched Brooke swinging the mic around in her hand, the other hand holding the phone. Her little face broke into a smile. I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea of her all grown up.

I wanted to freeze her at this age forever.

As if she read my thoughts, she looked over at me. The microphone fell out of her hand and she blew me a kiss. I caught it and held it to my heart...because that's where she was always going to be.

Daddy's little girl.

THE END


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though The Coaster Series is complete, the story is far from over! Follow along with the teenage Backstreet 'girls' in the new series Coaster Girls, which includes Brooke's story, American Honey.