- Text Size +
Photobucket


Chapter Three - March 9

"How could he do this? How could he fu--fudging do this? Logan don't pick your nose!"

Angel, Liv, and I were huddled around the kitchen table. I was trying desperately not to look at the clock. The second hand was driving me nuts.

Angel's son, Logan was sitting cross-legged on the floor playing a video game with Noah. Peyton was nearby playing with a giant tub of Legos.

And my Brooke was...

I didn't know. And that's what hurt the most.

"If he's called mom, she won't tell us," Angel said. "You know she wouldn't rat out her baby."

I had a list of possible people he might contact. So far all I had was mom, BJ, and Leslie. Angel was too close to me; Aaron wasn't that stupid.

Liv had one name on her list. Henry was working on the lead. I kept glancing down at her paper in utter distaste.

Hunter.

Every time the phone rang, I had expected it to be Aaron. So far I had talked to Brian, Kev, Howie, and AJ. They each asked what they could do.

I didn't have an answer.

"I've got some information for you."

Liv looked up. Henry held one sheet of computer paper.

"Hunter was released two years ago. He currently resides in a trailer park in St. Paul, Minnesota."

I looked at Liv. I had to admit I was surprised. Hunter had been out for two years and we had no idea. He had left us alone.

"Do you have a phone number?" Liv asked.

"We have a current number as of two months ago."

Liv took a deep breath. "I want to call him."

"Liv..."

She looked at me. "He might not have been involved with Aaron for long, but he might know something."

"She's right," Henry said. "Put your cellphone on the table. I want to hook up a recording device."

Liv took out her phone and set it on the table. Henry attached a small circular object and handed it back.

"We're good to go."

Liv glanced at the sheet of paper and dialed the number. Angel and I leaned forward reflexively. Liv closed her eyes. She seemed to be drawing on some type of inner strength. I saw her face tense up.

"Hello, Hunter. It's Olivia."

There was a pause.

"This is about Aaron. He's kidnapped my daughter."

There was a longer pause. Liv motioned for a pen. My chair made a loud screeching noise as I scooted back. I grabbed a pen from the refrigerator and handed it to her. She pressed the tip against the paper.

"Did he ever mention a name? Or names? A favorite place?"

Liv began to write. Finally she set down the pen and sighed.

"You can't take back what you did, but this means a lot to me. Thank you."

Liv hung up and rubbed her eyes. When she pulled her fingers away, I saw the wet stain of tears. I touched her hand.

"Liv?"

She turned towards Henry and held up the paper. "Here are the names he mentioned. Aaron liked conducting most of his business in Cozumel. His connections were based out of Nepal."

"Business?"

Liv didn't turn towards me.

"Human trafficking."

----------------------------------

The phone didn't ring again until seven o'clock. By that time, Angel had taken Logan home. Noah and Peyton were curled up on either side of Liv on the couch. She was reading a story, trying to keep some normality, but everyone looked at the phone the moment it started to ring. I grabbed it up after the first ring.

"Hello?"

"Day one's almost over. Do you have my money?"

I glanced over at Henry. He shook his head.

"I--I didn't manage to get it."

Aaron clicked his tongue. "That's too bad. Isn't it Brooke?" There was a pause. "ISN'T IT?"

"Daddy? Daddy, I want to come home!" Brooke wailed. There was a loud noise that sounded like a hard hand slapping soft flesh and then there was her unmistakable scream. I dug my nails into my arm and doubled over.

"Don't hurt her," I gasped.

"What? What was that? Don't hurt her? Well that will cost five million. And a private plane. Night, night."

The line went dead. I moaned.

"A plane. He wants to get out of the country," Henry said out loud. Liv glanced over at me.

"Nick?"

I shook my head.

"Liv, I think it's bedtime for Peyton and Noah."

"But, I'm not tired!" Peyton complained. She looked up at Liv. Noah didn't argue. He slid off the couch.

"Is Brooke coming home?" he asked quietly. I felt his small hand on my shoulder. I looked up; I couldn't keep the tears from falling.

"I'm going to do my best, buddy."

He kissed my cheek and Liv brough Pey to me for a kiss goodnight. As soon as Liv left the room, I looked at Henry.

"He slapped her," I choked.

"If he's asking for a plane, that means he's still in the country. The car he stole was found in some marshland south of here. We strongly believe he's headed to Key West."

Henry must have noticed the look on my face. He shook his head.

"You're not going to Key West. This whole family is under FBI protection."

I feigned surprise. "I wouldn't dream of leaving my family right now."

----------------

"I'm calling in a favor."

I was sitting in the attic on my old cellphone that I knew wasn't tapped.

"Name it, Nick," Bri said.

"I need you to go down to Key West and keep your eyes open for Aaron."

"What?"

"The FBI agent said they suspect he's heading to Key West. They're watching me like a hawk and I can't leave. Can you call the others and see if they can go with you?"

"Of course. How are you holding up?"

I felt like curling up in a giant man-ball and sobbing like a baby. Instead I let out a shaky breath.

"Not well, Bri. Not well."

"I'm going to call the others. We'll pick the place apart."

"Thank you."

"We'll call if we find anything."

I hung up and leaned back. My back was being supported by Brooke's old crib.

I remembered the day that I had bought the crib. I dragged Liv to an outrageously expensive baby store where one little sleeper cost more than half of the t-shirts in my closet. Even though Liv told me I was nuts, I still remember how she had run her hands along the crib like it was made of solid gold. The crib was a beautiful light honey; the gentle curves reminded me of a sleigh.

I remembered all the sleepless nights Liv endured and how baby Brooke had hated being put on her back. I closed my eyes and pictured her tiny little body on my chest, her gummy smile making me melt like only a daughter could do.

There was no way I was going to make it through seven days of this. I got up and dusted off my jeans.

I prayed that I would pick up the phone tomorrow and hear Brian telling me that they had found Aaron. That Brooke was safe and sound and coming home. I wanted to tuck her into bed tomorrow night and cover her face in kisses and tell her over and over that she was safe and loved.

Oh, was she loved.