- Text Size +
Chapter Nine

-- Nick --

An hour had never lasted longer. I kept thinking about seven o'clock. I wanted to be in Cozumel. I wanted to be weaving through the throngs of people as the strobe lights created its dizzying spell. I wanted to grab Aaron and watch him bleed. But more than all that, I wanted to be hopeful. I wanted to think that this nightmare was ending.

The unknown was what was killing me. I was angry at the four walls and at the guys that kept an ever trained eye on me. As if they didn't trust me.

As if they knew I would just as soon escape and play the hero.

The time on the clock showed ten after three when the phone rang. I answered, a humming beginning in my ears that I couldn't explain. I took a deep breath, praying it wasn't Aaron. It was too early for him.

"Hello?"

There was a large sob. It was a familiar breathing pattern. One that I had known all my life.

"Mom?"

"Nick, oh honey, I'm so, so sorry about all this. I've been meaning to call and...I'm so scared for Brooke."

I closed my eyes. She shuddered.

"I...I saw Aaron this morning."

I opened my eyes; Henry looked up and pressed the listening device closer to his ear.

"What?" I croaked. It was impossible...it was...

"He showed up at the house. I begged him to tell me where Brooke was. He wouldn't tell me his exact location but he mentioned a warehouse. I smelled tobacco all over him."

I glanced over at Henry. He was back to his laptop again. It was like that machine held all the answers.

"What did he want?"

Mom began to cry harder.

"He wanted my help, but I told him I couldn't help him. You were right Nick, he is crazy. Oh, sweetie...Brooke."

I couldn't stand hearing her name. My skin was crawling with thousands of tiny invisible electrodes that were zinging right to my soul.

"T-thank you for calling mom," I said.

"I love you, sweetie."

I hung up and looked at Henry. I had been so sure that he had been in Cozumel...

"That makes me think he's hiding out in one of the tobacco rolling plants," Henry said. "It's mostly Spanish speaking employees, some are controlled by the gangs and double as drug stops. I'm going to get the guys on it immediately."

"What about Cozumel?"

"I've got a guy down there."

"A guy? As in one?"

Henry sighed. "You heard your mother. Would you rather us send twenty men down to Cozumel on a 'tip' that I know came from your little posse or send a squad on a tip from your mother...the mother who is probably the only person you could think of that Aaron would contact?"

I moaned. I wanted squads everywhere. I wanted people on every square inch of this Earth on the case.

"What's going on?"

I looked up. Liv was rubbing her arms as if she was trying to get the chill out. I knew from personal experience there was no erasing this chill.

"Mom called," I said softly. "She told me Aaron came and saw her this morning."

Liv's eyes widened. "But I thought he was south of here."

I licked my lips. I could taste the remain of salt from the random drop of tears that had cascading throughout the day.

"Me too."

-------------------------

-- Aaron --

"Eat this."

I threw a can of something that looked like dog food at the kid's feet. She didn't even open her eyes. They looked like they were sealed shut with some type of crust. I was glad.

She had Nick's eyes.

"Have a good night," I said coldly. I slid my knife into my waistband. I walked into the other room. The walls were cold. Baren. I knelt down and used the razor to cut my last line. I had splurged too much today, but I didn't care. I inhaled greedily and felt the rush.

I had missed the rush.

It took a moment for my eyes to refocus. I felt powerful.

I was ready for action.

The streets were crowded. I kept my hoodie up, drawn tight around my face. I pulled up my sleeves and shuffled through the crowd. No one cared. Everyone was celebrating. Celebrating an amazing night in an amazing place. Alcohol was everywhere.

Soon I'd be celebrating.

Neptuno came into view. I wasn't stupid enough to go through the front. No telling who could be down here. I hoped mom had called Nick. That would save me some time.

I snuck around the back of the building and entered through a little known door the bartenders used when they wanted to sneak out and have a smoke. It was great to have emergency exits just to get your fix.

The place was crowded. Just the way I liked it. The lights spun and made me momentarily dizzy. My heart was racing. For one insane moment I felt like it was going to pound its way right out of my chest. I took a deep breath.

Like a snake, I stuck to the walls. I studied faces as I went. I was headed towards the old table where I had sat in the glory days.

Before Nick had screwed it up.

If only he hadn't seen me that night. If only he hadn't grabbed me and knocked over the coke. He had drawn attention to a scene that wasn't supposed to be noticed.

And he had made me a marked man.

Now it was his turn. Killing him would have been too easy. Making him cry...making him sweat and feel like he couldn't breathe from the fear was much more in line with what he had done to me.

I just needed to find the guys. I wanted to rid myself of that sickly bundle lying on the mattress. Nick wasn't giving into my demands. I'd give him one more chance after my meeting tonight. If he still didn't listen, if I still didn't get my money, well...

It would be time to end the game early.