- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Three

It turns out that Ally's phone was one of those 'kid-friendly' phones that only had four buttons. And, since it was yellow and black, it was aptly named 'The Bumblebee.'

Button one called home. Button two called dad's cell. Button three called grandma.

But button four was empty.

The first night I snuck down to dad's computer to see if I could find an account to program the fourth button.

No such luck.

I gave the phone back to Ally and spent two more days devising my plan.

Dad always told me that I was a great dramatic actress. I decided to put my skills to work. I practically went on a fast. I didn't come out of my room. I spent my time doodling in my sketch pad. Most drawings ended up looking like Mason. Mason smiling...Mason sleeping...Mason shirtless...

On the third day I finally came down for breakfast.

"Hey Shelster," dad said quietly. I sank down in my chair. I could feel Ally's eyes on me.

"Could I go to the mall today?" I asked softly. As if I hadn't used my voice for days. Which, in hindsight, I really hadn't.

"For what?"

"I was going to see if anybody was hiring. I'd like a job."

I lifted my head. Mom and dad looked at each other. I was counting on them thinking that a job would be a great way to stay busy.

And out of trouble. Or what they called trouble.

"Well, I guess that would be fine," dad said.

"Ally, you want to come?"

She smiled. "Sure!"

Joe looked up. His cheeks were stuffed with pancakes.

"Fhat about fee?"

"I am so not going to the mall with you," I said.

Joe swallowed. "That's bulls--"

"JONAH!"

Joe made a face. Another mouthful of pancakes were shoveled into his mouth.

An hour and a half later, mom dropped Ally and me off at the mall.

"Call when you need a ride home," mom said.

I looked at her pointedly.

"I don't have a cell phone," I said. Mom smiled.

"Actually, Ally does. Just dial 1 sweetie."

Ally nodded and held up her 'Bumblebee.' Mom took off.

"So what type of job do you want?" Ally asked curiously.

"I don't want a job," I said. I headed inside. For every step I took she had to take two to keep up.

"So why are we here?"

I took the phone from her hand. "We're going to the 'Bumblebee' store."

There was a kiosk in the center of the mall decorated in yellow and black bees. The employees even had to wear bouncing antennae on their heads. A TV kept playing the kid-friendly advertisement over and over and over again.

"How can I help you?" one of the buzz-y ladies asked.

I smiled my sweetest smile. I held up Ally's phone.

"My dad sent me in here to see if you could help us. He got this phone for my little sister here and had four numbers to program but only the first three took."

The lady took the phone. She looked at Ally. I glanced down. Thankfully, Ally was smart. She gave the lady an even sweeter smile than I could muster.

The lady checked the phone and typed something into the computer. She nodded her head.

"I see. Yes, the fourth options blank. Did he give you the number to program in honey?"

I nodded. "Yeah it's here somewhere."

I made a big show of digging through my purse. In reality I had the scrap of paper right in the zippered part waiting like a precious gem. After practically emptying my entire bag on the counter I undid the zipper.

"Oh! Here it is!"

I unfolded the scrap and handed it to the lady. She looked at it.

"The first three are local numbers. This one's long distance?"

I nodded. "Our grandmother lives in Kentucky," I explained. "She was so excited to hear that my sister got a phone so that they could talk more."

The lady smiled. "How sweet. How old is your grandmother dear?"

The question was directed at Ally. Ally tried not to look surprised. I prayed she could come up with a number...

"Um, old," Ally said seriously. My heart sank.

But the lady laughed.

"Out of the mouths of babes."

I think her bumblebee headband was on a little too tight. But that was okay. She did some more typing and then handed the phone back.

"All set!"

"Now, does my dad have to come in if he ever wants to switch the numbers?"

The lady nodded. "Yes, he does or he can sign up for an account online. If a number changes and you need to deactivate one you..."

She went on to explain to me the little code to put in to deactivate a number to clear the spot.

I felt like I had just found a huge honkin' pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

"Thank you so much," I said. I ruffled Ally's hair. "See sissy, all fixed!"

Ally gave me a look. She hated her hair ruffled.

We walked away from the kiosk. I was still holding the phone.

"How about I buy you a smoothie and we take a break at the food court?" I asked. Ally smiled.

"After ruffling my hair, you so owe me one."

------------------------

"Hello?"

"Mas?"

"Shel?"

I was sitting at a table at the food court. Ally was happily sucking on a wild berry smoothie. Just so I didn't feel too guilty, I had even picked up an application to work at the smoothie place.

Then I had called Mason.

"It's me."

"How did you...?"

"It's Ally's phone," I explained.

We both sighed at the same time.

"I'm going crazy missing you."

I ran my fingertip along the top of the table.

"I know. I am too."

"I went up to the roof last night," Mason admitted. "But it wasn't the same without you in my arms."

My toes curled and uncurled. I slapped the backs of my flip-flops against my heels.

"What are we going to do?"

"I take my driving test next week," Mason said. "Dad said that if I pass he's giving me the truck."

My heart began to beat faster. "Really?"

"Yeah. And the first thing I want to do is drive down and see you."

"And they'll let you?"

"Probably not."

"Then you're gonna lose that truck."

"It would be worth it."

"Mas--"

"I'll figure something out Shel. I'm not going to go another year without seeing you again. I can't."

I played with the corner of the application. His voice was bringing back all of the emotions and with it a fresh round of tears.

"When can I talk to you again?"

I had initially planned to delete his number after this. I had just needed to hear his voice. But now...

"I'll try to call in a couple days," I said.

There was a pause.

"Okay. I love you," he said earnestly.

I smiled. "I love you, too."

I hung up and wiped my eyes. Ally played with the straw.

"I don't want to be a teenager," she said seriously. I looked at her in surprise.

"Why?"

She let the straw sink back down.

"Because it's complicated."

I didn't know how to answer that because truthfully, it was complicated.