- Text Size +
Chapter Thirty Four

"Babies just pick up on the stress, Shel. The same thing happened to me after Brooke was born. I think I was so worried about dropping her or ruining her entire infant life that she picked up on it and became the devil child. Of course, Nick never worries about anything, so he became her sun, moon and stars. I did much better once Noah was born," Liv said wtih a smile. She handed Landon back to me.

I had kind of freaked out when Landon started to cry. Liv took a time out from lasagna layering to come over and settle things back down. I looked down at him. He was studying my face. I smiled. Liv touched my shoulder.

"See? All better. After four kids I'm now an expert," she said with a laugh. She got up and went back to the kitchen.

"Do you have more candy? There's tons of kids coming up the walk!" Mason called out.

"Open the cabinet under the hall table. That's where Nick keeps the stash!" Liv called.

I watched Mason tear open a bag. I glanced back down at Landon.

"Hi Landon," I said softly. "How do you like your first Halloween?"

I lowered my face closer and his eyes widened. His whole body wiggled in the little swaddle blanket he was wrapped in. I laughed.

"So how did Kevin take it when he found out?" Liv asked from the kitchen. I heard Addy sigh.

"Well, you know Kev..."

"I already told Nick that as soon as Brooke even looks at a boy I'm getting her on the pill. I know that with Nick's genetics coursing through my children's blood, that there is a libido that no amount of lecturing is going to quelch. We're just going to do our little PSAs and make sure they play smart. Anyhow, I think I'm going to stress out more about Noah. The thought of a male Carter teen unleashed into the world..." Liv trailed off.

Addy didn't say anything. Of course, I knew why. She had been just as bad about this whole thing as Kevin.

Why was it that Mason and I had to get the parents that lived in the Stone Age?

---------------------------

An hour and a half later, I was sprawled out on the couch with Landon on my chest. I had taken him out of the swaddle and he was happily asleep with his legs all bunched up under him like a frog. The smell of breadsticks and lasagna filled the house. All was peaceful until the troops marched back in with their bags filled to the brim.

"This is the BEST neighborhood for candy!" Joe declared.

"We got the mostest!" Brayden shouted. Tristan nodded enthusiastically.

Mason was sitting on the floor, his back against the couch. He ran his finger along Landon's arm. Once he got to Landon's hand, his finger was lost in a little tiny baby fist. There was no way the little guy could sleep through a whole herd of people stomping through the house. His little body twitched, but he didn't cry. I put a hand on his little body and looked up.

I met Kevin's gaze, but he didn't say anything. He had this look on his face like he was being smacked upside the head with the whole baby thing.

Brooke came over and sat by Mason. She smiled brightly.

"You guys want some candy?"

"Whatcha got?"

"Mas!"

"What? She offered!"

Joe plopped on the couch and began to unwrap and pop small candy bars like he was a vacuum cleaner. Dan sat down beside him and they began to talk about...well, whatever

Kayleigh walked over and sat by Brooke. Noah was right on her heels. He sat beside her and rooted through his bag.

"Three Musketeers are your favorite right?" he said. Kay glanced at him and nodded.

A minute later he was holding out a handful of silver wrapped candies.

"Here you go."

I smiled. Unlike Joe who was just one step up from dragging his knuckles on the ground, Noah was a gentlemen.

Or a flirt.

Or both.

Probably both.

Kayleigh flashed him a smile. I swear she even batted her eyes.

"Thanks."

Brooke started talking excitedly about a new music competition on TV. Liv was getting all the food out. Nick had knelt down next to Peyton and was saying something to which she was laughing hysterically. Ally came over and sat on the arm of the couch.

"He's so cute," she said. Her arm went out and touched Landon's fuzzy hair. "Did you watch him the whole time?"

I looked up at her and smiled. "Yup."

Her eyes sparkled. "You're going to be a good mom. And I'm going to be a great aunt."

"And I'm going to be a monkey's uncle!" Joe declared loudly.

"TIME TO EAT!"

We were saved by the magic word. Mason stood up and lifted Landon off of me. I sat up. I smiled again.

He looked really cute holding a baby.

--------------------------

"Alright, Texas Hold 'Em?"

"Sounds good to me."

The kids were all upstairs watching a movie. Landon was asleep down the hall. The adults were all gathering around to play (or watch) the poker game. Liv was sitting behind Nick with the baby monitor on her lap.

And then there was Mason and me.

"I want to play," I said.

Nick looked over at me and laughed.

"Seriously?"

I folded my arms. "Seriously, Bob. Deal me in."

Mason smiled at me. "I'll play too."

I had been watching dad play for years. Sure, when I was little I had totally screwed up his chances of winning, but I knew the game now.

And I didn't want to be upstairs watching dancing penguins.

Liv got two more seats. Nick motioned towards them.

"Alright, I hate to take money from you kiddos, but you asked for it..."

I snorted. In the past ten years I don't think Nick had ever won. Mom usually ended up taking the entire pot.

"If I remember correctly we have to watch out for that one," dad said. He pointed to Addy. She smiled.

"Who me?"

"That's why you haven't been invited back for so long," Nick said.

"Ouch!" dad said playfully. Everyone laughed. I felt myself relax. This was good. Laughter and joking had been a rare commodity lately.

Mason and I sat side by side. The adults had stopped betting money years ago. The pot consisted of any Halloween candy not passed out during the night or stolen from the little kid's buckets when they weren't looking.

To me, it looked like a great pot to win.

I got my cards and peeked at them. I saw Mason do the same with his own cards. Under the table, I felt his hand on my knee. He squeezed gently.

He was leaving tomorrow. I had a feeling it was going to be a similar scene to the one we had when I had left Kentucky this summer. I could already feel tears prickling at my eyes. I shook my head and glanced at my cards a second time. No tears. Just fun.

We made the rounds around the table. Dad folded. He always took awhile to warm up. Nick dove right in. Addy made a calculated move. I grabbed a couple pieces of candy from my stack that Nicky Bob had given me. I had a pretty good hand. I practiced my good poker face and shoved the candy towards the center.

"I'll raise."