- Text Size +
Chapter Thirty Eight

"Don't pass out," Mason said. I guess I must have looked that shocked. He smiled.

"My doctor said I can't get my heart rate up above 140," I blurted. My hands waved in the air.

"Breathe. I wanted to get you an engagement ring," Mason explained. "But dad kind of went ballistic. So I got you a promise ring."

He opened the box. It was a dainty silver ring with an oval garnet stone. On either side of the stone was a little diamond chip.

"Oh Mas," I whispered. He took it out of its velvet nest and picked up my left hand. He slid it onto my finger.

It was perfect. Just like him.

I had a boyfriend that bought me rings. Oh my God.

I couldn't help it; I burst into tears.

That got the attention of everyone in the room. Mason smiled sheepishly.

"What the hell?" dad said.

I held up my hand. I hiccuped.

"Did he propose?" Ally squealed. "Did I miss it? No way!"

I shook my head. "N-no," I sobbed. "It's a promise."

"What does he have to promise? He's kind of stuck with you now that you're pregos," Joe said.

"Jonah," dad warned.

"What?"

I wiped my eyes. Mom knelt down and looked at it.

"You have good taste Mason."

"I taught him well," Kristin said.

Mason smiled.

I was convinced that this was the best Christmas ever. I held the ring up. Ally came over.

"Wow, that's really pretty. Hey dad, what's my birthstone?"

Dad laughed. "Your birthstone is a diamond."

Ally's eyes lit up. "Sweet!"

After a few more 'ooh's' and 'aww's,' everyone kind of drifted back to what they were doing. Mason leaned over and kissed my neck.

"Just wait until I do propose though," he whispered. I shivered.

I was kind of glad he hadn't proposed. I didn't think I would have been able to handle that. It all seemed so...

Forever.

Not that I didn't want forever with him. It was just that I was pregnant and hormonal and still scared. I just couldn't add 'engaged' to the list just yet. I leaned against him and closed my eyes.

I just wanted to enjoy right now.

After about another half hour, Mason and Kristin got up to head back to their hotel.

"I'll call you tomorrow morning. Maybe we can go to the mall," Mason said. I smiled.

"I'd love that."

He kissed me.

"Merry Christmas, Shel."

I laughed. "Merry Christmas, Mas."

-----------------------------

"So I heard Victoria's Secret is having an after Christmas sale..."

I laughed. "Shut up."

"What?"

I rolled my eyes. We were strolling hand in hand through the mall. We had already paid our respects to the closed smoothie stand. Mason stopped and pointed to a baby store.

"Hey, let's go in there."

"Really?"

"Yeah, why not?"

I shrugged. "Why not? Let's go."

We walked in and started to look around. There was so much stuff. Cribs, changing tables, swaddle blankets, burp cloths, sleepers, pacifiers, bottles...

"How can a little person need so much stuff?" I wondered out loud.

Mason picked up a little pink tiger. He tilted its head back and forth.

"I don't know Shelby!" he said in a high pitched voice. I laughed.

"No, seriously, I agree. I don't even know what some of this stuff is," he said. He pointed to a box. "What are these huge suction cups?"

I blushed. I knew what those were. "That's a breast pump."

He looked at them. His eyes went to my chest.

"Oh."

I laughed and nudged his side.

We walked into the back of the shop where the cribs and stuff were. Mason started bouncing from one to the other.

"I like this one."

"This ones nice."

"Look at this one!"

I was still on the first crib. I headed over to look at the second one and stopped.

"Woah."

Mason turned and frowned. "Shel? You okay."

I took another step. It happened again. My hands flew to my stomach.

"Woah."

Mason paled. "Shel?"

I stared down in surprise. It was like a hundred little butterflies had taken flight.

"The baby just moved," I said in quiet awe.

"What?"

I smiled. "It's moving around!"

Mason smiled. "Are you okay?"

"I'm---"

I didn't know what to say. I glanced back up at Mason.

"I'm glad you're here," I answered honestly. Mason came over and pressed his hand to my stomach, but of course he couldn't feel them.

They were just for me.

After a few more minutes, the feeling (and shock) passed and we headed out of the baby store.

"You hungry?"

"Starved."

"Let's go to the food court."

We walked down to the food court. We agreed on Chinese and I sat down while Mason placed our order.

"Just when I was worried I wouldn't see you again."

I turned around and blanched. Frank walked up and stood over me, smiling leacherously.

"Merry belated Christmas. Did Santa stuff your stocking? Oh wait, he already did that, didn't he?"

My eyes narrowed. "Why don't you leave me alone?"

Frank laughed. "You're not armed with a backpack." He put his hands down on the table and leaned forward. "I don't think I have a lot to worry about."

I scooted my chair back. I went to stand up, but he put a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey where you going? I want to have a little chat."

"Get your fucking hand off of her."

Frank looked up. Mason was standing behind him. Even though Frank was a senior and Mason was only a junior, Mason towered over him. Frank laughed and straightened up.

"Do my eyes deceive me? The naked cowboy. In the flesh."

"I'd appreciate if you stop harassing my girlfriend."

"I'm not harassing her. Me and Shel go way back. Of course, I didn't learn until recently how easy she was. Was she a good dick dunk?"

Mason's jaw tensed. "Get the hell out of here."

Frank cracked his knuckles. "Who's going to make me?

Mason pushed him. I groaned. Frank stumbled, but stood his ground.

"Mason, let's leave."

He either didn't hear me or ignored me. Frank gave him a huge shove. Mason took a swing. Frank ducked.

The whole thing erupted into a scene of massive proportions. Mason let out a yell and body tackled him. They went flying across the food court. Frank landed on his back on a table. Mason got in a hard punch to his face.

It only lasted maybe two minutes, but it was a long two minutes in my mind. Mall security came and separated them. Frank's lip was bleeding and his eye was swelling rapidly. I was near tears.

Mason didn't have a scratch on him.

We ended up in the mall security office and dad came to pick us up. He didn't say a lot when the security officer filled him in. Mason and I got into the backseat and I braced myself for the yelling.

"Shelby, did you know the other guy?" dad asked. He backed out of his parking spot.

"It's the guy I threw up on. And hit with the backpack," I said.

"The one that was bothering you at school?"

After I had officially passed my finals, I told mom and dad about the incident on the bus. They had wanted to go in and talk to the principal, but I rationalized that I was done with the school and we just needed to forget it.

"Yeah," I sighed.

Dad glanced in the rearview mirror. "How much damage did you do Mas?"

Mason coughed. "A bloody lip and a shiner."

The corners of dad's mouth twitched.

"Good."

Mason and I shared a look. I felt myself relax; Mason smiled.

Everything was okay.

I leaned back in my seat. I felt the little butterflies start up again.

I couldn't help but think that my little bean had a great daddy.

I knew that Mason would fight to the death to protect the both of us. My ring sparkled in the sunlight.

When I had been on that table in the ER, I had thought the world was over.

Now I had a feeling that the world was actually just beginning.