- Text Size +
Chapter Eight

The rest of the first week went by in a blur. I woke up early every morning (even though I did seem to be waking up about five minutes later every day) and mucked out the stalls. Each morning, Mason was out there by eight with a package of Pop Tarts. Kevin had roped Mason into helping him fix part of the roof and so our goof-off time had been pretty nonexistant for the past few days. I had begun to help Addy with the kids that came for lessons for lack of anything else to do. Every so often, I'd glance up and see Mason way up there on the roof with sweat dripping off his back. It was a really strong looking back (not that I studied it, or anything).

The good news was that, after five days of what we both agreed was 'slave' labor, the roof was finally done.

The bad news was that it was now Mason's first day at the diner.

"I bet you wish you'd gone to L.A. now," I teased. I tossed a chunk of Pop Tart up in the air and caught it between my teeth. Mason laughed.

"I've had my moments," he admitted. He crumpled up the wrapper. Our breakfast time was almost over. He got up and held out his hand. I got up (without tripping this time, thank you). He held onto my hand a little longer than usual.

"I work until four today," he said. "But, my buddy Larry is having this party tonight and I thought you might want to come with me. I mean..."

"A party? Sure, sounds fun."

Mason grinned and dropped my hand. "Great. Well, have a fun day."

"Poop, horses, and hay, whee!" I said, pumping my fist in the air. His face disappeared and I heard the soft thud of his sneakers hitting the dirt.

I climbed down a moment later and finished filling up the water buckets. After I dished out some hay, I had a little time to spare. I slung a spare saddle over a bench and grabbed a rope.

I was in the middle of practicing lasso technique on an imaginary bull (a pitchfork tied onto a sawhorse) when Addy came in. She leaned against the door and smiled.

"Having fun?"

The rope sank pathetically at my feet.

"Oh, I was just..."

"Practicing being a renegade cowgirl?"

I laughed.

"Something like that."

"I'll give you a few pointers later this afternoon if you want," she offered. I smiled.

"I'd like that."

I hung up the rope and dismantled the saddle.

"Your dad called while you were out here. He tried your cell phone but I think you left it in your room."

I nodded. I had almost dropped it in the water bucket a few days ago and I wasn't taking any chances.

"Yeah, I did. I'll go call him now, if that's okay."

"Sure. If you want to put up with the buckeroos again, just meet me out here in an hour."

I gave her a thumbs up and headed towards the house. I yanked off my boots and left them by the front door. Dan was sprawled on the couch in the living room reading Robinson Crusoe. I heard the sounds of music drifting from somewhere.

"Dad," Dan said without even looking up. "He's in his studio."

"Sounds good," I said. I was used to sounds of music. My dad had about twenty projects going on at any one time.

I took the stairs two at a time and headed into my bedroom. I grabbed my phone and rolled onto the bed. Dad picked up on the second ring.

"Hey, Shelster, how's it going?"

I smiled. "Great."

"How's the job?"

"Smelly."

Dad laughed. I heard growling in the background.

"What's going on there?"

"The boys are pretending that they're a pack of rabid wolves. I think they're after Ally. They made her wear a cape. I think it's a twisted version of Little Red Riding Hood."

I laughed. "That sounds about right. So everything's still the same at home, I take it?"

"No," dad said seriously. I frowned.

"What's wrong?"

"You're not here. The house is empty."

He was getting all mushy. I smiled.

"Dad, there's four other kids. It's not empty."

"Well..."

"Hey!" I interrupted. I sat up quickly. There was something I needed to talk to him about. "Kevin's letting Mason drive!"

There was a pause. "Oh?"

"Yeah, and he's SIX months younger than me. Dad, this fall you've got to let me do driver's ed."

He sighed. "Shel..."

"I don't want to be forty years old and taking the bus!"

"Kentucky's different than Florida..."

I groaned. "Dad...I just want to take driver's ed. You've got to at least let me do that."

There was a pause. "I'll think about it."

I grinned. Score one for Shelby.

"I love you, daddy."

He snorted. "Yeah, yeah. Wait, here's your mom."

There was a pause and then my mom's voice filled the line.

"Hey sweetie pie. How's everything going?"

"Great."

"How's Mason?"

I paused. I didn't know exactly how to answer that. 'Fine' seemed too generic. Plus 'fine' was slang for 'hot.' And Mason wasn't hot. Best friends can't be hot. I mean...right?

"Big," I blurted.

"What?" mom asked quickly.

I slapped my palm to my face.

"He's gotten tall. And hairy. And..." I trailed off. My lists of descriptive words sucked right now. "big," I finished feebly.

"Cute?" mom asked nonchalantly.

I felt myself blush. Was Mason cute? Ugh, I should have just used the word 'Fine'...

"I mean he's nice looking," I admitted. I wanted to change the subject fast. "I've shoveled tons of horse crap," I added.

Mom laughed.

"Are you having a good time?"

"Yeah I--"

"I miss you."

It was Ally. I smiled.

"Hey Al. How's it going?"

There was a sigh.

"These boys are driving me n--"

"Sup?"

It was Joe. I smirked.

"Hey. You missing me?"

"No."

"SHEL, I'M A KANGAROO!"

I didn't know which one of the twins I was talking to. They both sounded the same over the phone. Obviously they had gotten tired of being wolves.

"Kanagaroos don't talk," I pointed out.

The line got quiet. There was some turbulence and then mom came back on.

"I better go. The natives are getting restless," she said. I laughed again.

"Alright, I love you mom."

"Love you too, Shel."

I hung up, fell back on the bed, and stared up at the ceiling. I think I might have fallen asleep because when I woke up I heard a lot of kids outside. I rolled off the bed and ran out to lend Addy a hand.

I was hoping that she might consider all my extra work overtime.

But I wasn't holding my breath.

-----------------------------

"Where's the party?"

"Larry's."

"Are his parents going to be there?"

"Yes."

"Mason, your curfew is eleven. Remember that Shelby's is ten forty-five."

My mouth dropped open. I stared at Kevin like he was insane.

"Why is my curfew fifteen minutes earlier?"

He smiled. "Because your dad told me when your curfew is."

I shut my mouth. I had forgot about the whole dad thing.

Mason was studying the keys in Kevin's hand like they were gold.

"If there's any drinking or trouble you call me, okay?"

"Okay."

The keys landed in Mason's open hand. He grinned.

"Have fun," Kevin said.

"Thanks!"

We headed out to the truck. Mason opened my door and I climbed up carefully. I wasn't sure about the dress code for these types of things out here, but I had decided to wear a skirt. Since dad wasn't here to give me the evil eye, I rolled it over a few times at the waist to shorten the length. The only problem with that was getting into the truck. I sat down quickly and smoothed it out over my knees. Mason grinned up at me.

"What?"

"Nuttin."

Mason backed out and we took off in the opposite direction of the lake.

"Are Larry's parents really going to be there?" I asked.

Mason glanced at me quickly and then back at the road.

"Nope."

We both smiled.