- Text Size +

I woke up early and found that Nick was already gone, so much for talking to him. I got dressed and went to see my family. I hoped that they would be happier to see me than Brian and Nick were. I knew that it would be a shock for them to see me.

 

My mom was sitting by the pool when I got to my house. I was happy to see her again. I just wanted a hug and for her to make things better like she did when I was younger.

 

“Hello Rachel.” My mom did not look as happy as I thought she would. I knew she was hurt, but you think she would want to see her daughter.

 

“Hi mom.” I gave her hug. She embraced me with the love that I needed. It felt good to be home.

 

I knew she was angry with me, but she still loved me no matter what stupid choices I had made.

 

“Brian told me you were home. I’m surprised that you came back. Why now?”

 

“Mom, I had to come home. I couldn’t take being unhappy anymore. I want to make things better. I realized that I had everything I wanted in Florida.”

 

“Honey, I know that you do. I don’t know if you will be able to make things better. Three years is a long time to be gone. Do you really think things can go back to the way they were before?” She said with concern.

 

“I don’t know mom. I at least want to try. I realized that what I did was wrong. I can’t change what I did. I’m ready to get back what I lost. I am willing to do whatever needs to be done. I didn’t mean to hurt Nick. I love him so much, and I want to be with him.” I grieved. I knew this was going to be tough. Everyone I cared about was mad at me. I was mad at myself.

 

“I hate sounding so curt, but what makes you think that Nick will want the same thing. He’s not the same man you left three years ago. He’s suffered a broken heart caused by you. Do you think he’s really just going to walk back into the arms of the one who took his heart?”

 

I started to cry. I never thought about him not taking me back. I thought that we could talk things out and eventually get back to where we were three years ago.

 

“Oh there she is. She finally decided to grace us with her presence.” My brother Alex sat down at the table. He did not look thrilled to see me. Maybe coming home was a bad idea.

 

“Hi Alex. It’s good to see you.” I whispered. I was afraid to speak to my own brother.

 

“What are you doing back?” He asked rudely.

 

“I’m back for good. I want to make things work again.”

 

“How stupid can you be? You left three years ago without telling anybody. We haven’t heard from you until you decide to come back. Why do you deserve to have what you lost?”

 

I was shocked by my brother’s feelings towards me. If anyone would understand my leaving, I thought it would be him.

 

“Alex, I’m sorry that I left. I know that I hurt a lot of people, but I hurt myself, too. I didn’t want to leave. I felt like I didn’t have an option.”

 

“Whatever. Where are you staying?”

 

“I was hoping that I could stay here until I get a job and apartment.”

 

“I see, so you only came back because you have no money. When did you become a heartless bitch?” He shouted.

 

“It’s not like that Alex. How can you say that about your own sister?” My mom defended me.

 

“What sister? I haven’t had a sister in three years. My sister decided to disappear. I don’t have a sister.” He said sadly.

 

I was beginning to think I had made the wrong decision coming home. Maybe I would have been better staying away from everything I truly loved. I realized how much I hurt everyone who truly cared about me. It was going to take a long time to regain what I had lost.

 

“Alex, I never meant to hurt you or anyone else. I felt I had no choice. It was stupid. I was stupid. Every day I wanted to call you and come home, but I couldn’t”

 

“Rachel, you had a choice. You ran away. What’s going to stop you the next time?”

 

“I’m back for good. I know what I lost when I left.”