- Text Size +

Alone and bored, that is what my life has come to. I spend all my time working or sitting in my apartment. I have become my own worst nightmare. My family and friends want nothing to do with me. They don’t even want to hear why I left. All they see is the hurt and pain that I have caused Nick. What about my pain? Nobody cares about how I feel. Am I destined to be alone and lonely the rest of my life?

           

The phone pulled me out of my thoughts. I rushed to the kitchen and grabbed the phone.

 

“Hello!”

           

“Hi Rachey.”

           

“Hi D. What’s up?” Howie has been the only to talk to me since I returned to Florida.

           

“Not much. Just sitting at home on a Friday night. John and I are going to the club. Do you feel like coming along?”

           

“Umm…I don’t know. I really don’t feel like going out.” I was afraid of seeing everyone, especially Nick. I didn’t want to start a fight in the middle of Tabu.

           

“Come on, Rachey. You need to get out. You’re always sitting at home and moping. It isn’t helping anything. Get out and have some fun.” He persuaded me.

           

“Fine, you win. I’m not going to enjoy myself, but I’ll go if it makes you happy.”

           

“Great! We’ll pick you up in an hour. Bye.” He hung up. I could hear him smile.

           

I had to get ready. What would I wear? I haven’t been to a club in ages. I remember the last time I was at Tabu. It was a night I would never forget.

 

 

 

Flashback

 

I walked into Tabu looking for my stupid boyfriend. I was ready to murder the boy. He had really done it this time. Why couldn’t he ever come straight home from rehearsal? No, he has to call me from the club and have me pick him up. Nick has no courtesy for me. Doesn’t he understand that I have to get up at six in the morning for work?

           

I spotted my boyfriend sitting at a table by himself. I expected him to be with the guys. He was starring at the table, deep in thought. I wondered what was up with him. Was he breaking up with me? I know that things were rocky between us but we have a strong relationship.

           

“Nick are you ready to go?”

           

“Sit down.” He whispered.

“Is everything okay?” I was really worried. Nick never acted this way.

           

“What time is it?”

           

“It’s twelve-fifteen. Nick what is wrong?” I asked concerned.

           

“Sweetheart it’s the anniversary of our first kiss. Remember that night.” He put my hand in his and smiled.

           

“Yes, that was one of the best nights of my life. I’ll never forget it. I can’t believe that we have come this far.”

           

“Rachel, I loved you since the first time I met you. I thought you were beautiful. I knew that you would be the only woman in my life. You are my soul mate.”

           

“Nick I love you more than words can ever say. You have been the sunshine in my life.” I reached over and kissed his smooth lips. I never loved any man as much as I loved him. He was my soul mate.

 

Nick pulled me onto the dance floor. A nice slow song came on. I relaxed in his arms and snuggled close to his chest. I felt like I was in heaven. I wanted to stay like this forever.

           

“Whisper the words, the ones that my heart wants to hear, so I that I know this real, tell me you feel it, make me believe it, you’ll always be there, whisper the words, the ones you say only to me, that touches my soul tenderly, a foundation to build on, a love that is so strong, baby whisper, oh whisper, oh whisper the words.”  He sang softly in my ear. I knew that he meant every word. I found my Prince Charming.

 

-------

The club was just starting to get crowded when we arrived. John and I went and sat down at a table, while Howie went to his office. It felt good to be out of the house. I was glad that I decided to not be a hermit for one night.

 

“It’s great to see you again, Rachel. You have grown into a beautiful woman.” John said sincerely.

           

“Oh the great Dorough brothers certainly know how to charm a woman. Thanks.” I teased. John and Howie always knew how to make someone feel better. It could be a smile, a hug, or a compliment.

           

“How are things with your family and the guys?”

           

“Nonexistent. My mom and I talk about once a week. She’s happy that I’m back but mad at me for leaving. Alex doesn’t talk to me, unless it’s to pick a fight or yell at me. Brian hates me, but I’m used to that. He never liked me. Kevin doesn’t say much, but I know that he’s upset with me.”

“What about Nick? How are things with him?” John asked concerned.

           

“What about me, John.” I saw Nick towering over our table. Just what I needed, why does he always appear at the wrong time.

           

“Chill out Nick. I was just making conversation. Do you need a drink Rachel?” I nodded my head as John left me alone with Nick.

           

Nick stared at me as he sat down. I felt a cool chill from his stare. What was he doing here? Why was he sitting down with me? I could see that he was uncomfortable being with me. When would this madness end?

           

“Aren’t you going to say something or are you going to stare at me all night?”

           

“What’s there to say? You broke my heart when you left and I’m still suffering from it today.” He looked as if he were about to cry. I felt guilty, again.

           

“Nick why do you think I came back? Do you think I came back to work? You’re the reason I came back.”

           

“Why now?” He whispered. How could I explain it to him? It wasn’t something I could just talk about at a nightclub. There were so many things I needed to explain to him.

           

“Where do I begin? I have so much to explain to you. I don’t think this is a good place to talk. I came back because I love you.”

           

“Love? You sure have a funny way of showing it.” He looked deep into my eyes. I could feel his breath on my face as he inched closer to me. Quickly, he put his lips against mine making up for what he had lost years ago. I could feel his love with that one kiss. It was sweet and tender yet laced with anger. As quickly as it began the kiss ended. Nick walked away from the table and out of the club.

           

“What’s wrong Rachey?” Howie asked concerned. Minutes or hours must have passed; I was in a trance. What had just happened? Why Did Nick kiss me?

           

“I don’t feel like talking about it. I’m just cursed when it comes to love. Why me?”

           

“What happened?”

           

“Nick was here and he was talking to me. Then he kissed me.” I sobbed.

           

“Sweetheart I’m sorry that he was here. I wouldn’t have brought you tonight if I knew he would be here.”

           

“Howie can you take me home, I’m not feeling well.” He nodded his head and took me back to my apartment.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Song = Whisper the Words by Lila McCann