- Text Size +

After feeling sorry for myself, I decided that I needed to get out of my house. It was time to go shopping. Buying things had a way of clearing my head and making me feel better. So, here I was at the mall getting ready to spend my hard earned cash.

 

I walked into Old Navy, where I saw a cute pair of jeans. As I was browsing, my mind was on Nick. There was never an hour in the day when he wasn’t on my mind.

           

“Hello Rachel.”

           

“Hi Jane. How are you?” Great, just who I needed to see, Nick’s mom. She was the only person harder to talk to than Nick. Seeing that she never liked me dating here son, she was the only one that I knew that was happy I left Nick.

           

“I’m great. When did you come back?” She smiled her fake smile at me.

           

“A couple of months ago.”

           

“It’s been so long since you broke my son’s heart, that I forgot you even existed. Did you come back to make your move on another Backstreet Boy?”

 

I was ready to scream. Jane thought that she knew everything, when in fact she knew nothing about my relationship with her son. She knew just what to say to make me angry.

           

“Mom stop it! You have no right to say that. Hey Rache! It’s great to see you.”

 

“Hey Angel. It’s great to see you. You’ve turned into a beautiful young woman.” I hugged her. Not only was I close to Nick. His family meant the world to me, well most of his family. I could certainly do without Jane.” Jane, I’m not that type of girl. I don’t move from one man to another. My relationship has nothing to do with you.”

           

“Let’s go Angel.” Jane huffed off.

 

“Tell everyone I said hi.” I yelled to Angel as she followed her mother. She smiled and winked.

           

I continued to shop, buying new clothes and shoes. I was happier than I felt in days. I thought about my life and how much I had changed since the day I met Nick.

 

Flashback

“Hey sis. I’m having some friends over.”AJ announced as I walked into the room.

           

“Whatever Alex. I don’t want to hang out with your dumb friends. I have better things to do.” I stuck my tongue out at my annoying twin brother. Lately we hadn’t been getting along. He was in a singing group and thought he was cool.

 

“I didn’t mean it that way. All I was doing was telling you so that you would take off that skimpy bathing suit.”

 

I looked at my bikini. It wasn’t that skimpy. My mom would never let me wear something that showed my boobs hanging out. Alex was imagining things.

 

“Excuse me Alexander James McLean, no one especially you tell me how to dress. I don’t want to impress your ugly friends anyway.” I huffed and ran out of the room.

 

As I changed my clothes, I could hear voices in the living room. Most of them sounded older. There was one squeaky voice in the bunch. I assumed it was this Nick kid. He was the youngest member of the group. My brother’s friends were part of the Backstreet Boys. It was a singing group my brother was in.

           

I walked into the living room to see four decent looking guys sitting with my brother. I wasn’t impressed; none of them were my type. I wasn’t looking for a boyfriend, especially one of my brother’s friends.  They watched me as I sat down on the couch.

           

“Hi! Who are you?” The little blond kid questioned me.

           

“I’m the better half of the McLean twins. I am Rachel.” I smiled at the blond and glared at my brother.

           

“I didn’t know you had a twin. Why didn’t you tell us?” Some reddish brown hair guy looked confused.

           

I was wondering why my brother pretended like I didn’t exist. Usually we got along, but lately it’s like I’m not his sister. It hurt because we were close. I waited for his explanation, but nothing came out. I ran out of the apartment. How could he be so rude in front of his friends?

           

“Rachel please don’t cry.” The blond said quietly.

           

“Leave me alone.” I didn’t want to be bothered.

           

“I can’t do that. It hurts me to see you cry.” He sat down next to me.

 

“You don’t even know me. I’m just Alex’s twin sister. It’s no big deal.” I screamed.

 

“It is a big deal when it makes you cry. I don’t like seeing you cry.”

           

“Why do you care? All you know about me is that I’m Alex’s twin sister.” I stared into his bright blue eyes. There was something magical about them. It was like looking in the ocean.

           

“I just do. I don’t like seeing you cry because AJ’s acting like a jerk. You are the better half of the McLean twins.” I smiled at him. He knew how to make me feel better; making fun of Alex.

 

“I’m Nick. It’s nice to meet you.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you. At least you’re not a jerk like Alex.” I sighed.

 

 

Things were so different between Nick and I. Would we ever talk to each other? I hated knowing that we weren’t together. I was going to get him back. I loved him to much. He was my everything.