- Text Size +

When I walked into the ballroom, I saw Nick talking to Fatima. Now I realized why Kevin and Howie were so adament about me being a backup dancer. I had a feeling I was being setup. They were going to have to deal with me later.

           

“Hello Rachel. Let me fill you in on what’s going on. On this tour each guy has the same dancer for almost every song. Since you are the tallest you have to dance with Nick. Is that ok with

you?”

 

“It’s fine.” What could I say? I was here to do a job.

 

“I know that this is uncomfortable for both of you, I can change people around if I have to, but Rachel you’re the only one who’s really tall enough to dance with Nick.”

           

“I understand Fatima. It’s not a problem for me, if it’s not a problem for Nick. I’m just here to make the show look good for the guys.”

 

Nick was starring at me. I was very uncomfortable with the situation especially since I knew I was being set up. Deep down I knew Nick felt the same way. I didn’t think it was fair for Howie and Kevin to play with our emotions.

           

“It’s fine with me.” He shrugged.

           

“Good. Let’s get to work. The first song is Miss America.”

 

Wait one stinking minute. That wasn’t even a Backstreet Boys song.  I couldn’t believe what was happening.  This was not the song I wanted to be dancing to Nick with. Howie and Kevin were going to die.

           

“Ummm…..since when was that a BSB song?” I questioned.

           

“Well the guys liked it, so for the tour we sing it and it has a dance part in the middle of it.”

           

Finally we got down to business. Learning all these dances would be strenous on me. Fatima showed me the first combination, which seemed pretty easy.  I didn’t have to be near Nick that much, it was a relief.  I was going to be professional.I concentrated on what I was doing, Nick was just another dance partner.

           

“Good job Rache. You’re picking it up really well. The next part is harder. Here’s what I want you to do. Rachel kick your leg up to his shoulder. Leave it there, then you will bend back while Nick is holding your waist.”

           

“Ok, Fatima. Let’s try it.” Nick and I went through the first combination into the kick sequence. It was the first time we would be that close to each other. I tried to concentrate on the dance, but my thoughts were on Nick. I was nervous having him touch me.

           

The movement didn’t go as planned. I ended up kicking Nick in the chest. I felt embarrassed. I never had any problems when it came to simple dance steps. Then again I wasn’t dancing with Nick.

           

“Nick pay attention!” I remarked rudely.

           

“ I was paying attention. Look where you’re kicking.” He glared at me. This was going to be a long rehersal.

           

“Let’s try it again..five, six, seven, eight.”

           

I decided to focus on the steps and nothing but the steps. I would show Nick that his touch didn’t bother me. I completed the first combination with ease.  The kick started off good, or so I thought until Nick screamed watch out! I realized I was kicking by his face.

 

“ Watch where you’re kicking! Do you have a problem with my body Rachel?” My eyes grew wide at that comment, and my face turned red. I never had a problem with Nick’s hot body. That boy knew just what to say to get to me. I couldn’t believe the nerve of that boy.

           

“Fatima I need a break.” I walked out of the room and ran to the nearest bathroom.

           

I poured some cold water on my face. My worst nightmare was coming true. I was regretting coming on this tour. I knew things would not be easy, but this was ridiculus. It was never going to work out; me dancing with Nick for the next two months. I couldn’t even learn the dances without him getting to me. How could I put a smile on my face every night in front of a crowd?

           

The door opened quietly and Nick walked in. What did he think he was doing, this was the woman’s bathroom. I ignored him as he sat on the sink beside me. I had nothing to say to him. He just gazed at me with a confused look.

           

“What Nick? What do you want?” I screamed at him.

           

“I just wanted to see if you were okay. You looked a little hot before you left.”

           

“I’m fine. Thanks for your concern. I don’t need you checking up on me. I’m a big girl. I’m here to dance and nothing more, you understand.” I yelled, as I paced.

           

“I understand. Just remember that I’m here to perform for my fans. I don’t have time to be your friend. Let’s just keep a professional relationship. I don’t want you to get your feelings hurt by how we act on stage. Remember that just because I’m friendly with you on stage, doesn’t mean I like you afterwards.”

 

“Whatever Nick. You may think you are the hottest thing out there, but I know the true you. The guy who would never say such cruel things, to the woman he cared about. I know you hate me. I deserve your hate. I trying to make your show look good, so don’t be acting like you’re the shit and I’m here just for you. There are four other guys I care about in this show.”

“That may be true, but only two of them care that you’re here. I really just want you to leave me alone. I’ll be nice to you on stage. Can’t have the fans thinking I’m an asshole. Off stage, stay out of my life.”

 

He walked out leaving me more frustrated then ever. I screamed in frustration. Quickly I threw my paper towel away and went back to rehearsals.