- Text Size +

The weeked passed quickly, I spent all my time dancing. Nick was constantly finding ways to annoy me. Was he trying to get me to leave?  I knew better than to let him get to me. I was use to his tricks.  I was professional and danced to my fullest ability everyday. I knew my perfection annoyed Nick.

           

Tomorrow was the first show I would perform in. My nerves were getting the best of me. It was hard knowing that Nick would be nice to me on stage and then ignore me afterwards. Instead of bringing us closer, this situation seemed to make the distance wider.

           

“You look gorgeous!” Kevin smiled at me. I was wearing my plum knee length dress. It was one of Nick’s favorite dresses. Everyone on tour was going out to dinner, to celebrate the start of the second leg.

 

“Thanks Kevin.” I kissed him on the cheek. We walked into the hotel’s banquet room. Kevin went to look for his wife while I stood there looking for a place to sit. I didn’t know where I belonged.

           

“Hey beautiful. You’re sitting with us.”

           

“Howie, I can’t. It will be uncomfortable with me there.”

           

“You don’t have a choice. You’re my date for the evening. Nice dress, isn’t that Nick’s favorite?” Howie smiled and we walked to our table.

           

Each table was decorated with silver and black confetti. The dishes were black and had silver swirls decorating it. The guys had gone all out for this celebration. I was excited to meet Kevin and Brian’s wife. I hope it was going to be a pleasant evening.

           

“Hello, I’m Brenna, Brian’s wife.” A beautiful woman sat next to me.

           

“Hi. I’m Rachel McLean. I’m Alex’s sister and a dancer on this tour. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”  I smiled at her.

 

She looked at me with curiosity. Surely she hadn’t heard very nice things about me. Brian wasn’t one to talk about me in a friendly manner.

           

“Excuse me for being so impolite. It’s just that I’m surprized that you’re on tour, especially as a dancer. With all that’s happened, I wouldn’t expect you to show your face to the guys.”

 

What nerve this woman had. I can’t believe she would say that to my face. She didn’t even know me.

           

“I’m sorry that you feel that way. It’s rude to judge someone you don’t even know. Just because your husband doesn’t like me, does not mean you have to right to believe everything he says. What happened between me and Nick is our business. Stop being the doting wife and start thinking for yourself.” I walked away. I did not need to be criticized by someone who didn’t even know me.

           

“Brenna you have no right talking to her like that.” Nick frowned, “ Rachel doesn’t deserved to be talked to like that by you or anyone else. Yes, she broke my heart, but you know nothing about that. Whatever Brian told you is a lie. I don’t ever want to hear you say anything rude to her again.”

           

“Come off it Nick. She broke your heart years ago and you still defend her. I still think you have feelings for the little wench. It’s sad to see a young man still pining away for the woman who ripped out his heart. Move on, you’re pathetic.” Brenna stomped off looking for her husband.

           

Nick did not feel like being at this dinner. If he could get out of it he would. He was furious at Brenna. She had no right to tell him how to live his life. So what if he still had feelings for Rachel. She was the only woman he had ever loved. Nothing would change that. Yes, he might be angry with her, but he would never stop caring about Rachel.

 

--------------------------------------

 

 

Quietly I knocked on the door, hoping he wouldn’t answer. Time seemed to stand still as I waited. What was I doing? Did I really think he would help me practice at one in the morning? I almost decided to go back to my room, but the door quickly opened.

           

“Ummm….hello Ray.” I was shocked he called me that. Since I came back he only called me Rachel.

           

“I was wondering if we could practice a couple of the dances. I’m a little nervous.”

           

“You always get nervous the night before big performances. I remember all your dance recitals. You’d have me watch you practice the night before.” He smiled.

           

“Yeah, some things haven’t changed. I feel better if I have the routines perfect. I don’t want to mess up for you or the other guys.” I felt shy all of a sudden. Nick bringing up old memories was hard for me. It took my back to the place I wanted to be.

           

“I’ll go practice with you. Let me put some clothes on.” I just noticed that he was in his boxers. I smiled at him and watched him close the door.

           

I stood in the hall waiting for him. I felt like a big dork, just standing in the hall. It was like I was sneaking around to see him. Years ago, I would sneak out of my hotel room to see him.

           

“Hey girly. Why are you standing in the hall?” Kevin walked down the hall with his wife.

           

“I’m waiting for Nick. He’s going to practice the dances with me.”

           

“That is so sweet. Where were you at tonight? We missed you at dinner.”

           

“Umm.. I wasn’t feeling well, you know my nerves were getting to me. So I went back to my room.” I lied to Kevin. I wasn’t in the mood to talk to him.

           

“Since my husband won’t introduce me, I’m Helene. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

           

“Thanks Helene. I’ve heard wonderful things about you. You have a great husband.”  She smiled at me and hugged Kevin. You could see how much they loved each other.

           

Nick walked out of his room. He was fully clothed in grey jogging pants and a Old Navy shirt I bought him. He said hi to Kevin and Helene. “Let’s go.”

           

“Have fun and behave!” Kevin whispered in my ear before I left with Nick.

 

We practiced and practiced until I wasn’t nervous anymore. I felt calm and relaxed about tomorrow’s show. I was starting to look forward to dancing on stage again. I even felt somewhat comfortable with Nick.

           

“Thanks for practicing with me. I appreciate it.”

           

“It’s not a problem. I’m glad you feel comfortable with the dances. You’ll be great tomorrow.” He threw me a bottle of water and sat down beside me.

           

“I’m glad to be on tour. It’s like old times.” I didn’t look at Nick when I talked. One look of his baby blue eyes, I would realize the hurt I caused.

           

“Yeah. Those were the best days. I had a lot of fun getting in trouble. Sometimes I wish I was back in the past.” Nick’s voice quivered, “Those were the best years of my life.”

           

“Nick, I’m sorry.”

           

“I know you are. You wouldn’t be here right now if you weren’t sorry. I’m just not ready to forgive you yet. The forgiving part is hard for me.”

 

Nick inched closer to me, and lifted up my chin. Slowly he looked into my eyes, I could feel his stare through my body. Then he placed his lips on mine. A surge of electricity ran through my veins. This kiss was different from the one in the club. The anger was gone and instead desire appeared. I enjoyed the kiss though it quickly ended . As Nick walked out of the room, I knew he still loved me. He sealed it with a kiss.