- Text Size +
Chapter Fourteen

The next week didn't go exactly as I had planned. Mom and dad wouldn't let me study with Garrett on Monday. I was pretty sure mom's 'teen girl trickery' radar had gone off. I think I laid on the sad, puppy-eyed charm a little too thick. Luckily, Garrett understood. I think he cared more about me being able to go to the basketball game.

As for the game on Wednesday, I was able to go. But there was a catch.

Dad decided that the whole family should go. My dream of sitting with the other basketball girlfriends was replaced with the reality of being stuck sitting between dad and Landon. Landon must have thought we were at a WWE event because he kept standing up and trash talking the other team. Finally mom had to clamp her hand over his mouth and plop his wiggling body down on her lap. Peyton was engrossed in the game. She loved basketball. She sat behind dad and squeezed dad's neck everytime we scored. After Landon was corraled, Noah and I tried to slide away from the family, but dad made it worse on us by sliding right towards us making quacking noises.

"Dad," Noah whispered. "Please. There's a cool factor that you are so ruining for us right now."

Dad grinned. "Really?" He looked around. He always got excited when he got to go to school events. I felt bad that he never got to experience high school. Not only for him, but for us. He didn't realize how easy it was to go from cool to 'stay away from the kids with the weird family' status.

"Alright, well you two can stay over here. I'll go ignore you," dad finally said. He scooted back over to mom, Pey, and Landon.

"Thank God," Noah said.

We both returned out attention to the game. I had seen my fair share of basketball games in life. March Madness hit our house like a tornado every year. High school basketball wasn't quite as exciting, but Garrett made it look so good.

"Why aren't you down with the girlfriends?"

I looked up. Lona was hovering above me.

"My family's here," I said. "Plus, I'm not a girlfriend."

"That's not what I hear."

My eyes widened. "What have you heard?"

"Garrett's been telling all the guys what an awesome date you guys had Saturday."

I smiled. It had been pretty awesome.

"If that doesn't mean you're being elevated to girlfriend status, I don't know what does."

"Wow. That's...wow."

Lona scampered back over to her friends. Noah frowned at me.

"I don't like it."

I ignored him and leaned forward. Garrett had just gotten the ball. I watched his lean body practically dance around the opposing team. He paused, arched, and the ball swooshed through the hoop.

I stood up and screamed.

"GO GARRETT!"

He turned and looked up in the stands. He spotted me and waved. I grinned and waved back. One of the other guys waved at me and slapped Garrett on the back.

"Ugh," Noah muttered.

"Shut up," I said as I sat down. "If you're so jealous, you should go out for the basketball team next year and snag yourself a cheerleader," I teased.

Noah rolled his eyes. "I don't need to play basketball to get a girlfried," he said lightly.

"Well then why don't you?"

Noah shrugged. "I'm selective."

I knew that's where he differed from dad. Dad made no secret of the long list of girlfriends he had before he had met mom. I've always tried to imagine how different life would have been if Paris Hilton had been my mom. The only image I could conjure was one of me running around without panties, carrying a dog in a purse, and dying young.

Just like she had.

I was grateful dad had scooped mom up. Even if she had been married at the time.

I went down to see Garrett when they broke for the half. He wiped his face and arms on a towel. I tapped his sweaty back. He turned around.

"Hey there, good luck charm," Garrett said with a smile. "I'm glad you were able to come."

I laughed and waved back towards the stands. "Me and the whole family."

Garrett stared back up into the crowd.

"That's cool. Are you enjoying the game?"

I nodded. "I am. You're awesome."

He seemed to stand a little straighter. "Thanks."

I squeezed his arm. "Keep up the good work."

"Will do."

I ran back up the stands. Mom nudged dad, whispered something, and he smiled.

"I WANT POPCORN!" Landon squealed as he saw a guy in front of him sit down with a bag.

"You can't throw it," mom warned. Landon smiled up at her and shook his head.

"I wants to eat it," he said.

"Popcorn sounds good," Peyton said.

Mom and dad stood up and they disappeared down the bleachers with Pey and Landon. They were still gone by the time the second half started.

I was so engrossed in keeping track of Garrett that I didn't hear the loud murmuring and excited squeals that erupted in the crowd around me. I just figured it was the built up school spirit for the home stretch.

It wasn't until Trevor Tylers sat down beside me that I realized what the noise was really about.

"Hey!"

I turned my head so fast that I was surprised I didn't snap a muscle. I couldn't believe it. But there was no denying it. Shaggy blonde hair, big blue eyes, baggy red jersey (which just so happened to be the opposing team's color), and a big smile.

"What are you doing here?" I blurted.

"Well, after talking to you Saturday, I decided to complain again about not having a tutor and I must have finally complained to the right person. Yesterday they enrolled me at Tremont High," he said excitedly. "I only get to go half the day, since the guys and I are recording our new album, but I'm back in school!"

I glanced back out to the court. This wasn't good. To make matters worse, I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye.

Paparrazi.

"That's great," I said distractedly. I could just see the gossip mag article in my head. It would have some cheesy title about school spirit and a big picture of us sitting side by side in the stands togther. I stifled a groan. "Well, I'll let you get going. I'm sure people won't be too happy to see a red jersey to be in our midst," I said quickly. Noah leaned forward and smiled lazily.

"Hey, Trevor Tylers. Sup?"

Trevor looked at him and smiled.

"You Brooke's brother?"

"Yup, Noah."

They shook hands. I stepped on Noah's toe.

"OW!"

"Uh-oh that's our school, er war-cry. You better go. Things might get nasty," I said.

"Oh my god, are you Trevor Tylers?"

It was all over. Six girls came out of nowhere to hover around him and they were not doing any type of war cry to get him out of our student section.

They were drooling.

"Noah, we need to move," I whispered. "Now."

He rubbed his foot. "You hurt my big toe. It's my favorite toe."

"NOAH!"

We got up and moved a couple rows up. I glanced out at the court. I saw Garrett look my way.

He didn't look happy. Something told me he had seen Trevor sitting by me.

What were the odds?