- Text Size +
Chapter Sixteen

Between school, recording, and dates with Garrett, time seemed to speed up with no sign of stopping. Sleep was a rare commodity. Some nights it seemed like such a waste to spend my little bit of alone time asleep. But I had no choice. Some nights I fell asleep with my chemistry book on my head.

My grades dipped a little bit, but not bad enough that dad pulled the plug on me going out on Saturday night.

Garrett and I were the topic of conversation at the school. We couldn't walk down the hall without someone stopping and talking to us.

"I think we rule the school," he told me one day. I just laughed. I didn't want to rule the school.

I just wanted to have fun.

Kayleigh was totally jealous. She insisted I call her at least once a week to give her a Garrett update.

And she still couldn't believe I hadn't slept with him.

"Kay, we haven't been going out that long. I'm not going to rush into anything," I told her. She just clicked her tongue.

"Don't keep him waiting too long. He'll find someone better."

"No, he's not like that."

"All boys are like that," she said knowingly.

Of course, our relationship wasn't without a few little bumps. A week after the basketball game, a picture of Trevor and I had hit the cover of a couple of the magazines. The headlines were all the same - 'dream teen team,' 'a hoop date' - stuff like that. Garrett had gotten kind of, well, bitchy, but I assured him that it was publicity.

Publicity was what made the world go round.

My album was coming along great. I figured that with as hard as I was working, I would be done before prom.

Prom. It was what everyone was talking about. Our basketball team hadn't made it to semi-finals, so we didn't get the dance Garrett had talked about. But nothing was going to cancel prom.

I waited impatiently for Garrett to ask me to prom. By the second week of April I was getting nervous. I would only have three weeks to find a dress.

I decided to ask him one Friday night when we went out for ice cream.

"Hey Garrett?"

"Yeah babe?" That was his nickname for me - 'babe.'

"Prom's coming up soon..." I said.

He scooped up a huge mess of pineapple, vanilla ice cream, and banana and took a big bite. He nodded.

"Mmmhmm?"

"Well, I was wondering if...y'know..." I trailed off. "We're going right?"

He swallowed and laughed.

"Of course we're going. Why wouldn't we?"

"Well you didn't ask me!"

"I thought it was implied!"

I pursed my lips. He smiled and tapped my nose.

"Brooke, you're my girlfriend. Who else would I go with?"

I cracked a smile. "You're right. I just wanted to make sure."

"You worry too much."

A bright flash went off. I sighed. Garrett turned purposely towards the camera.

Garrett had first showed up in a magazine about a week ago. He had held up the magazine like he had made the top spot in People's '50 Most Gorgeous People.'

"You should wear red like you did for your birthday," Garrett suggested before he took another bite.

"Why?"

He swallowed. "Because you look great in red. Plus, I already put in an order for a red corsage."

A little well of frustration bubbled into my stomach.

"What if I can't find a red dress?"

Garrett smiled. "You'll find one."

We left about a half hour later. Garrett took a wrong turn on the way home.

"Garrett, you turned the wrong way."

He smiled. "No I didn't."

Five minutes later we were parked in a little out of the way place overlooking the beach.

"What's this?"

"We still have a little time before your curfew."

I turned towards him and he kissed me.

My arms looped around his neck. I liked our slow gentle kisses, but tonight he was throwing gentle out the window. His lips pressed against mine harder. I felt the tip of his tongue push between my parted lips. He explored my mouth hungrily.

I wasn't opposed to a french kiss, but I was a little wary of being in an unfamiliar place. I pressed my hands against his shoulders.

"Garrett," I whispered.

I didn't get to say anything else. He leaned into me. I fell lightly against the passenger side door. He kissed me again. I drew in a little intake of air.

His hands slide from my waist and travel upwards. I bristled when he grabbed my breast.

I shoved at his shoulders.

"GARRETT!"

He looked at me in surprise.

"What?"

"I don't want to do this here."

A wash of disappointment crossed his face. I pried his hand away.

"Why not?"

"I don't like this place. It's too quiet."

Garrett gave me a crooked grin. "Well it's hard to do anything with tons of people around, Brooke."

My stomach felt squishy.

"I know," I said apologetically. "Just not tonight okay?"

He stared at me for a long time.

"Okay."

He straightened back up. I did the same. We buckled in and he headed towards home.

I could still almost feel his hand on my breast. I was tingling a little bit. I felt guilty for stopping him. He was harmless. He just wanted to make out like any normal boyfriend and girlfriend did. I glanced over at him.

"It's okay Brooke," he said before I said anything. I smiled.

"Thank you."

He came tp a stop in front of the house and we got out and walked to the door. He kissed me softly and then pulled away.

"Start looking for that red dress," he teased. I laughed.

"Deal."

He waved and I watched him walk back to the car. I headed inside. Dad and Peyton were sitting in the living room playing video games. Noah had gone out on a double date with one of his friends and a couple girls from school. Landon was fast asleep on moms lap. She was still holding the picture book she must have been reading him.

"Hey sweetie," she whispered. I smiled.

"Hey mom."

"Have fun?"

"Yeah I did. I'm going to go call Kay."

Mom laughed. Landon snuggled up to her. "Okay."

Dad turned around. "Hey BooBoo."

"Hey dad."

"HA! Killed ya!"

Dad whirled around. Peyton was smiling at him happily.

I headed upstairs. I kicked off my shoes and stretched out on the bed. Kay picked up on the first ring.

"How was your date?" she asked. There was no need to say hello.

"Good," I said hesitantly.

"Ooh, what happened?"

I got up, closed the door, and then settled back down on the bed.

"He went in for the french kiss and grabbed my boob."

"Nice."

"I stopped him."

Kay groaned. "BROOKE!"

"What?"

"What am I going to do with you?"

I sighed. "I was nervous. He took me to this secluded place overlooking the beach."

"How romantic."

Now I was feeling silly. I had gotten scared at a place that sounded romantic.

"It just freaked me out."

"Well you're going to have to relax sometime B."

"I know."

I pulled at a thread on my bedspread.

"In other news, we're going to prom together."

Kay made a little noise between a hum and a tongue click.

"I'm so jealous. I hate being homeschooled."

"I thought you were going to high school this year."

"For like three hours. What kind of trouble can I get into in three hours?"

I grinned. Plenty, I assumed.

"I wish I could go to your prom," Kayleigh said wistfully.

"That would be fun," I said. "I still want you to meet Garrett."

"I know. Hm, well maybe I'll crash."

I laughed. "All the way from Atlanta?"

"Don't underestimate me."

I grinned. "Never."

Kay yawned. "Well, girl, I'm going to go fake my beauty sleep. I'm going clubbing tonight."

I shook my head. "Alright. Talk to you soon."

"Okay. Late!"

"Late."

I hung up. My brain was swimming with thoughts of kisses, and dresses, and everything else. I closed my eyes. I heard footsteps on the stairs, most likely those of mom carrying Landon to bed. I thought about all the nights I had crawled into bed with mom and dad right after the kidnapping. I had just wanted to feel safe.

I was pretty sure that's why I had freaked out about being out there by the water in the dark with Garrett. A hazy memory came to mind of a smelly lighthouse by the ocean. I shivered.

I just wanted to be safe.