- Text Size +
Chapter Seventeen

"Kay, what's wrong?"

"I have a plan."

"A plan for what?"

"Prom."

I stifled a sigh.

"I'm standing outside my History class because you texted me and said there was something urgent you needed to tell me," I said impatiently. The bell had already rung. I was late.

"This is urgent!"

"Okay, but talk fast. I don't want to get detention."

"M'kay, so you're going with Garrett, right?"

"Right."

"Garrett's on the basketball team, right?"

"Right."

"There's got to be at least a couple single guys on the team, right?"

"Right," I said more cautiously. She let out a laugh.

"Well then it's simple! Ask Garrett to get me one of them."

Get her one of them. It was like she was at a freakin' candy store!

"Kay, it's not that simple. I'm sure a guy wouldn't just go out with someone without meeting --"

"Show 'em my picture. That's enough," she said breezily. "Oh, and tell them to Facebook me. Just please do this for me. I want to experience prom with you!"

She started making little whimpering noises. She did that anytime she prodded me to do something I was hesitant to do.

"Alright! I'll do it!"

Kay giggled. "I love you Brookey."

I smiled. "Yeah, yeah. I've got to go to class!"

"Alright, well let me know who the lucky guy is!"

I laughed and hung up. Leave it to Kay...

-----------------------------

"I have a favor to ask," I told Garrett at lunch. He was eyeing my pudding. With a sigh I handed it over. It was my favorite, chocolate, but I figured I needed a bargaining chip.

"What's up?"

"I was wondering if any of the guys on the team don't have a date to the prom yet," I said lightly. He shoveled half of the pudding cup in his mouth and looked at me.

"Whee?"

I decoded his jarble as - 'Why?'

"My best friend Kayleigh is homeschooled and she desperately wants to go to prom. She was thinking you might have a friend and we could double date."

Garrett swallowed. The spoon scraped around the edges of the plastic container.

"I don't know...Garcia and Rienholdt don't have dates, but sight unseen..."

I took out my phone and slid through the screens. A second later I held up her profile picture on Facebook. She looked like she was posing for a spot on one of the modeling reality shows on TV. Garrett clamped the spoon between his teeth and took the phone. After a second, he yanked the spoon out of his mouth.

"Yo, GARCIA!"

Donovan "Donnie" Garcia was a forward on the team. He was from some little town in Mexico. He had a beautiful complex and long black hair he kept pulled back from his face in a small ponytail. Unfortunately, he was dumber than a box of rocks.

But then again, that might work well for Kayleigh. He had been held back two years and he was almost eighteen.

On second thought, he was probably the perfect date.

"I got you a date for prom," Garrett said. He held up the phone.

Donnie picked up the phone and looked at Kay's picture. He grinned.

"Where'd she come from?"

Garrett gestured with his spoon. "She's Brooke's friend. She wants to come to our prom."

"Does she really look like this?" Donnie asked. He looked at me. I nodded.

"Yeah, she does."

Donnie handed the phone back to me with a grin.

"I'm totally interested."

"She said you can friend her on Facebook if you want. I can send you a link," I offered.

"Sweet."

Donnie headed towards the cafeteria line. I was pretty sure he was on his third lunch.

Garrett leaned towards me with a smile.

"You owe me, doll."

I laughed. His smile was teasing, but there was a little look in his eyes...

Nah, I was just imagining things.

------------------------

"That's a wrap!"

I tossed down the headphones and squealed. This was the day I had been waiting for. I had over twenty five polished tracks to choose from for my next album.

The hard part was behind me now.

Dad gave me a thumbs up. I ran out of the recording booth and hugged him.

"Great job."

"Now the fun begins," I said.

"Well, before you get too happy," Rich said slowly. I stopped.

"What? Why can't I be happy?"

"Management's got your duet with Trevor going through the channels already."

My eyes widened. Rich held up his hands.

"I seriously had nothing to do with it. I was talking to one of my radio buddies and they leaked him a copy. I think it's going to be your first single whether you like it or not."

I groaned. This wasn't fair. I had over two dozen amazing songs burning to a CD for my listening and choosing pleasure as we were speaking.

"That's not right. I think they're in violation of Brooke's contract," dad said.

"Well, you didn't hear it from me," Rich said. He turned around and whistled.

Dad was quiet on the way home while I continued to complain loudly. When we got home, the first thing I did was start complaining all over again to mom. Dad headed towards his office (which was really mostly a playroom).

"I'm sure dad will figure it out," mom said. She handed me a beater filled with cookie dough. I swiped a tiny bit of the batter off and tasted it.

"What's going on? You usually lick the beater until I fear your tongue will get stuck," mom teased.

"I'm trying prom dresses on tomorrow," I explained. "I'm not gaining even an ounce."

"Honey, you're going to look great no matter what," mom said.

I rolled my eyes. What did moms know? They were prejudice.

"But that reminds me. Aunt LeighLeigh called and Kay's coming in early tomorrow morning to go shoppng with you."

Kay had been over the moon when I told her I had secured her a date. It had taken a little bit of begging, but Uncle Bri and Aunt LeighLeigh finally agreed that she could go.

I squealed. "I can't wait until tomorrow," I said happily.

"Me either. I better bring tissues," mom said with a sigh.

"Mom..."

She kissed my forehead.

"You're growing up. I'm allowed to cry over that."

"MOM! LANDON GOT HIS HEAD STUCK IN THE RAILING!" Peyton bellowed from upstairs.

Mom sighed.

"And then there's my little goober..."

Mom grabbed a big tub of butter from the refrigerator and walked out of the kitchen. I picked the beater up out of the bowl and took a big lick.

If no one saw me do it, I figured that just made it invisible calories.

Plus, it was so good.