- Text Size +
Chapter Nineteen

With one week to go before prom, that was all the whole school could talk about...well, at least the Junior and Seniors.

"Did you get your dress?" Garrett asked me Monday morning. I leaned against my locker.

"I did."

"A red one, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah, but I was thinking--"

"Awesome," Garrett said. "Oh, and you're going to love this. My uncle's lending me his Vintage Red 1985 Oldsmobile Tornado. We'll be arriving in style."

I smiled. "Really? That's cool. But, I found another dress I love. It's purple and--"

"But you got the red one right?"

"Well, yes, but--"

"Wear the red," Garrett said.

"Hey Brooke?"

I reluctantly turned around. Donnie was heading in my direction.

"Did Kayleigh get her dress?"

I nodded.

"What color?"

"Light pink."

"Does she like roses?"

I smiled. "I think every girl likes roses."

He nodded. "Cool." He gave us a thumbs up and walked off.

I turned around to continue the dress conversation, but the warning bell rang. Garrett squeezed my arm.

"See ya at lunch!"

He gave me a quick kiss and hurried off. I pushed aside my feeling of frustration and headed in the opposite direction.

Teachers didn't care if prom was right around the corner. They still expected us to learn.

What were they thinking?

-----------------------------

"Good news," dad said at dinner.

"We're getting another dog!" Peyton guessed.

"I'm getting a car!" Noah said.

"DINOSAURS POOPED IN THE BACKYARD!" Landon squealed.

I propped my chin in my hand and just smiled at dad. He laughed and pointed to everyone in turn.

"No way," he told Peyton.

"You haven't even taken driver's ed," he reminded Noah.

"If they did, you're cleaning it up," he teased Landon. Landon's eyes got HUGE.

And then he looked at me.

"I got the record company to stop sending out copies of your duet with Trevor."

I grinned. "Really?"

"It's in the contract that you get to choose what songs go on your record and you have the right to choose the first single. They got a little ahead of themselves."

I had been listening to my CD over and over again. I hated to admit it, but I was pretty sure I was going to put the duet on it after all. It was really good.

But not good enough to be the first single.

"Thank you," I said gratefully. Dad smiled.

"You're welcome. I learned the hard way. I don't want you to have to do the same."

"So what is your first single going to be?" Noah asked.

"Well, since you didn't write me anything, I'm going to go with one of my uptempo numbers, Chaotic. It''ll be great for a summer release."

"I think we'd all like to see some of the stuff you've written," mom added. Noah just shook his head.

"All works in progress," he said lightly. "But maybe I'll take over the drums if you tour this summer."

I grinned. "That would rock."

"Hey, that puts me out of a job!" dad complained. Mom laughed.

"You and the guys were talking about recording new music, remember? And a fall tour?"

"Oh, yeah."

We all started talking about albums, and touring, and all the other stuff that went with it. Noah, Pey, and I didn't really know anything different. Dad's job was music. He had taken the last five years off, but I really wanted him back out there.

It was what he did best.

Besides being an awesome dad, that is.

-------------------------

Kay flew back down on Friday night. She started talking the minute she got off the plane.

"We have so much to do! I brought hair magazines and my mani and pedi kit and--"

"Woah. Breathe," I laughed.

"There's no time to breathe!"

We started to go over the magazines on the way home. We were still looking at them at dinner.

"Girls, put those down and eat," dad said.

"Uncle Nick, how can you expect us to eat?" Kay said. She picked up her chopsticks and snapped them in Noah's direction. He had been staring at her. His face turned red and he stabbed at a piece of pork.

"There's over twenty four hours before you guys leave for prom. You have to eat," dad reasoned. Mom just gave us a wink.

"Boys don't understand," Kay said as we headed up the stairs.

"How did your mom like your dress?"

Kay laughed. "She liked it. I about died when she touched the bottom half, but luckily she didn't find that secret zipper."

"Well, don't think you're going to go bare legged for photos," I said. Kay rolled her eyes.

"I'm smarter than that. It'll go up afterwards."

I rolled over on my stomach and put the magazine on the floor. There were a couple different updo's I loved. Mom and I had found the perfect tiara.

"Are you wearing the purple dress?"

"No, the red."

Kay hummed. "I like the purple."

"Garrett already got me a red corsage."

"We'll just see about this Garrett guy."

I looked over at Kay.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"He sounds bossy. We're supposed to be the bossy ones. Not the guys."

I laughed. "Who said?"

"It's written through history that way."

"Well is your mom bossy to your dad?"

"Sometimes," Kay said. "But he still loves her to bits." She paused. "And Claudia's uber bossy. I don't know how Baylee can stand her."

"Well, he's marrying her, so obviously there's something about her."

Kay snorted. "I've already told you my theory on why he's getting married."

I rolled my eyes. Before I could explain to her that I highly doubted anyone one get married just for sex, she went on.

"I just can't wait for the wedding to be over. Then maybe mom and dad will realize that I exist again. I swear if Baylee wanted the sun to rise a couple hours earlier, they would make it happen for him."

I frowned. "I'm sure you're exaggerating."

Kay shrugged. "I don't know. Sometimes I think I could get away with murder and they wouldn't even know."

I turned a page of my magazine slowly. Kay's usual exuberance had disappeared. She sighed. Thirty seconds later she was rambling about garters, but I was only half listening.

Something told me my bff's passion for danger wasn't just for her own personal enjoyment.

It was a plea to be noticed.