- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Five

-- Nick --

"Take a right. It's the third house on the left."

I swung a hard right. Noah was leaning in close to the windshield.

When Kayleigh had called to tell me that she couldn't find Brooke, it was like time had spun backwards. All I could picture was my little pigtailed little girl. Gone.

I hadn't wasted any time in going out to look. Noah insisted he come along. He wasn't the little boy curled up on the couch crying anymore.

My little Noah was becoming a man.

I glanced over at him as we pulled up to Garrett's house. My jaw was tense; his was identically set.

We got out and slammed our car doors. I felt like an idiot. I was almost beginning to like Garrett.

How could I have been such an idiot?

My relief when Liv had called to say Brooke had made it home had disappeared when I saw her. The ripped dressed, the streams of mascara, bruises and cuts...

I was going to make Garrett wish he was never born.

Noah beat me to the door. He knocked loudly.

"Let me do the talking," I said. He just grunted.

A tall guy with glasses opened the door.

"Can I help you?"

"Are you Garrett's father?" I asked.

"Where the hell is he?" Noah barked.

"Noah!"

The guy looked at me.

"My son's at prom. Who the hell are you?"

"I'm Nick Carter. Your son took my daughter Brooke to prom. He tried to rape her," I said bitterly.

The guy's mouth curved into a smile.

"That's ridiculous I--"

"It's not ridiculous. My daughter has the marks to prove it. Now where is he?"

"I don't know what stories your daughter is telling but my son--"

Somehow my hand became a fist. That fist sailed directly into the guy's nose. He crumpled down.

"We're done here," I said. Noah looked impressed. He nodded and followed me back to the car.

I drove past the prom venue. Prom was over. The parking lot was nearly deserted.

"Any ideas?" I asked Noah.

"There was talk about a hotel party. But if Trevor split the asshole's forehead as good as he thought he did..."

"Well, let's check. Which hotel?"

Noah gave me the name of the hotel. I plugged it into the GPS.

We both saw his car at the same time. I slowed to a crawl. Noah hopped out of the car.

"Go park," he said.

I usually didn't let my kids tell me what to do, but this was different. I drove around the block trying to find a parking space. I finally found a little nook unoccupied and parked.

By the time I made my way back to Noah, he was standing a distance away from Garrett's car.

Every single tire was slashed.

"Whoops," Noah said with a tense grin.

"He won't be going anywhere," I said. I slapped his back. We turned towards the hotel.

"I probably should go in alone," Noah said.

"Why?"

"Because you scream 'parent,'" Noah reasoned. I stopped.

There was a time not so long ago when a party wasn't a party unless I was there. And now I was just the parent.

But, I had to admit, my son had a point.

"Get him out here."

Noah nodded and disappeared into the building.

---------------------

-- Noah --

As I entered the hotel, I blinked rapidly. I was tense.

I had just gotten home when dad got the phone call from Kay. In a span of a few moments I went from a fifteen year old guy back to a scared, guilty six year old.

Chasing down Garrett was my chance to make up for letting Brooke down all those years ago.

Dad had told me to get Garrett outside, but I wasn't sure that he would make it that far. No one messed with my family.

I half-hoped that I would find not only Garrett, but also Donnie. He had messed with Kay...

As far as I was concerned, Kay was mine to protect too. I mean, sure she never gave me the time of day, but I loved her. She was the most beautiful girl on the planet. It frustrated me to no end how stupidly I acted when I was around her...

I shook my head. I was getting distracted like I always did when I thought about her. I made my way to the elevator. The first two floors were quiet. Once I reached the third floor, I knew I had found the party.

There were people everywhere. Some people were still in prom dresses but others were dancing in the halls in PJ's.

"Hey Noah!"

I stopped. Jackson Peppers waved me over.

"I didn't see you at prom tonight. Who'd you go with?"

"I didn't go. Just checking out the party."

Jackson held up a cup. "Right on."

"Hey, have you seen Garrett?"

A look came over Jackson's face. "Dude."

"What?"

Jackson looked around. When he spoke his voice was low. "Brooke was freakin' riding him hard and some jealous ex-boyfriend of hers caught them. He got his head split open pretty bad."

I snapped. I flung the cup out of Jackson's hand. My hands gripped his shirt and I slammed him against the wall. Everyone scattered.

"First of all, I don't know what Garrett's telling all of you dumbasses, but he tried to fuckin' rape my sister. Secondly, if you don't tell me where the hell that piece of shit is, I'm going to have to take my revenge out on you."

"Woah, take it easy," Jackson said. His eyes scanned the crowd.

"Dude, Noah, can I get a piece of your sister's ass too?"

I turned around. The comment had come from one of the guys on the basketball team. Jackson straightened up but I whirled around and slammed my fist into the side of his face. Then I jumped into the crowd.

I had gotten a high level of irrationality from my dad.

It was coming out full force tonight.

-------------------------------

-- Nick --

After twenty minutes I began to get worried. I knew by the cars in the parking lot that the place was packed, but I was hoping that we could get this done. I wanted to go back home and tell Brooke it was all going to be okay.

I was just about ready to call home, when the front doors opened. Garrett came out. Noah wasn't around. He walked right past me towards his car. I followed.

"Aw shit," he muttered when he saw his tires. He knelt down to look at them. I kicked him from behind.

He sprawled out on the pavement, hitting it hard. I straddled him and flipped him over.

He must have gone to the hospital. His forehead was clearly stitched and bandaged. I smelled alcohol on his breath. His eyes widened when he saw my face.

"Have a nice night Garrett?" I asked coldly. He opened his mouth but I smacked him hard. He coughed.

"You and me have a little problem," I said. "See, you hurt my little girl. No one hurts my little girl."

"You're nuts," he gasped. I kicked him in the side. He curled up in the fetal position.

"You haven't seen nuts," I said. "You tried to violate my daughter you piece of shit."

I squatted next to him.

"I'm going to kill you," I whispered.

I grabbed him and forced him up against the car. He spit out a wad of blood right towards my face. I ducked. He took the opportunity to slam his fist in my eye.

If I had been thinking about any mercy before, it was gone. Searing pain shot through my eye. I shoved him against the door and rammed my knee into his nuts.

A blood-curdling scream rent the air.

"Do I kick harder than my little girl?" I asked. I kicked him again. And again.

"Dad, let's go," Noah gasped.

I hadn't even heard him come up. I turned. His lip was bloody and swelling rapidly. I heard sirens in the distance.

"I caused a little trouble," Noah said. I glanced down at Garrett. He was vomiting on the pavement.

"This isn't over," I told him. Noah got a kick in and then we took off towards the car.

"I think we're in trouble," Noah said. He wiped his mouth on his sleeve. I unarmed the car and we slid in.

"It won't be the first time for me," I said. "Welcome to your rite of passage son."

We looked at each other and high fived.