- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Nine

"Who wants more pizza?"

"I do!"

"ME!"

It was officially summer. Noah, Peyton, and I had survived the last day of school. To celebrate, dad had taken us out for pizza.

In Chicago.

We were staying at the House of Blues. Mom had flipped out when dad pulled up to the airport.

"Where are we going?"

"On a little trip," dad said breezily.

The four of us had cheered, mom just looked at dad like he was insane.

"We didn't pack!" she complained.

"We don't need to pack! It's just an overnight trip. I threw something in for everyone."

Mom groaned. Dad was the worst person to pack for a trip. My PJs consisted of a bright green t-shirt and red sports shorts. Peyton was forced to wear some old My Little Pony nightgown that she hadn't worn in two years. Noah claimed he was going commando.
And then there was Landon.

He was the only one happy, but of course it didn't take much to thrill a three and a half year old. Dad had accidentally packed his glow in the dark swim trunks instead of actual pajamas. I'm sure he thought he was going to be our human nightlight.

"Y'know," dad said as we took a cab back to the hotel. "I've played at HoB Chicago a couple times. It's a really nice venue."

"Oh yeah?"

Dad smiled. "Standing room only."

We got out at the hotel and took a quick tour of the venue. It was small but eclectic. I loved it.

"Maybe I'll have to add another Chicago date," I said.

It was going to be a busy summer. I was taking the first two weeks of June to stay close to home and shoot my video for Chaotic. The last two weeks I was going to do a press junket for the CD. Then after Kay's birthday party (and my parents anniversary), I was headed out on tour. I was mostly hitting the county and state fairs, but some HoB locations didn't sound like a bad idea.

Before we left to walk the short distance to the hotel, I was stopped by a couple people for autographs.

"We can't wait until tomorrow!" one of the girls told me. I smiled.

"Thank you."

Chaotic was hitting the radio and Internet tomorrow.

"I smell a hit," mom said. I laughed.

"We'll see."

I crawled into bed that night feeling a little like a Christmas tree but alsoinsanely happy. We had all spent the evening camped out in mom and dad's suite to watch some corny movie. I braided Peyton's hair and dad turned off all the lights and we watched Landon run around like an idiot.

Tomorrow we were sight-seeing before flying back home.

My summer was starting off perfectly.

---------------------------

The next day, we spent the afternoon checking out Navy Pier and the museums. Right before we headed to the airport, we went up the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower and walked out on the Skydeck.

Noah, Peyton, and I had been to Chicago before with mom and dad, but everything was new to Landon. He had clung to my hand excitedly as we stood on the skydeck.

"IT'S MAGIC!" he squealed as he stomped his little light-up shoes on the glass floor. He got so carried away, that he ended up stomping on some old guy's foot. That was our signal to leave.

Even though everything was fun, the best thing happened when we went to lunch after the museum. I had just taken a bite of my BLT when I heard the first chords of Chaotic start.

It didn't matter how many times I heard my songs on the radio, it always made me deliriously happy.

The plane ride back home was uneventful. Noah put on his headphones and fell asleep. Peyton was playing with some new thing mom had bought her at the Museum of Science and Industry. Landon was curled up on dad's lap fast asleep, sucking his thumb.

"I think he'll be sleeping for the next two days," dad whispered to mom. Mom ran a hand over his messy hair and smiled.

"He's just recharging," she whispered back. She leaned over and kissed dad. I smiled. A lot of times I thought they were a little mushy, but not today. I loved that they were still in love.

I was tired, but in a good way. I had signed so many autographs that my hand hurt. My legs were sore from all the walking we did. I waited until mom settled back with a magazine before I spoke.

"Hey mom?"

"What's up sweetie?"

I stretched my long legs out underneath the seat in front of me.

"I invited Trevor to come over and listen to my album. He's in California now but he said he'd come when he gets back."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I was wondering if we could have him stay for dinner."

Mom laughed. "You think he'd survive dinner with us?"

I smiled. "I don't know. We'll just have to find out."

"Who are we talking about?"

Dad glanced over at us. I smiled.

"Trevor."

"What about him?"

"I'm going to ask him to come to dinner."

Dad looked like he was about ready to object, but he seemed to think twice. It was kind of hard to hate a guy that sacrificed his nose for your daughter.

"Well, I guess that would be okay," dad said.

"And don't start that whole hunting business," I warned.

Dad made a face.

"I will hunt anyone that messes with you," he said seriously. I reached over and squeezed his shoulder.

"I know. And that's why I love you."

"Is that the only reason?" dad teased.

"No," I said with a smile. "But it's a good one."