- Text Size +
Chapter Three

"So who's all coming tonight?"

I was stretched out along my bed watching Kayleigh shake out her curls in the mirror. She puckered her lips and smiled at her reflection.

"Well, everyone from my band, some kids from my old high school, Uncle AJ, Uncle Howie, Uncle Kevin, your mom and dad..."

Kayleigh whirled around. "My mom and dad?"

I looked at her in surprise. "Yeah?"

Kayleigh groaned. As dramatically as possible, she flung herself down into my big overstuffed chair and closed her eyes.

"The night is ruined," she declared. She smacked the arms of the chair and her head fell back.

"Why wouldn't they come?"

Kayleigh opened her eyes.

"I figured they'd be helping Baylee with the wedding."

Kayleigh's older brother Baylee was getting married. I couldn't remember the exact date, but Kayleigh claimed that was all ANYONE was talking about at home. It was driving her nuts.

"Aren't Claudia and Baylee supposed to be planning the wedding?"

"Well, you know mom."

I nodded, but I didn't say anything. I knew Leighanne loved detail. And color. And matching. And weddings.

But I still thought she was awesome.

"To make matters worse, mom's planning Claudia's bachelorette party. The maid of honor's not even coming. And there's going to be no strippers. What kind of party is that?"

I laughed. "Kay, Claudia and Bay are Christian performing artists. I don't think having strippers at their parties would be proper."

"Proper, sch-moper," Kay said. "You know if they hadn't made their 'purity' pledge they wouldn't be getting married so soon. They probably just can't wait to sleep together."

"I'm sure love has something to do with it," I said.

Kay bounced back up. She drifted back to the mirror and began to look at my earring racks.

"What we need to do is get you a boyfriend," she said. She held a pair of dangling earrings up to her lobes.

"I'm kind of busy right now," I explained. She looked at me.

"Brooke you're gorgeous. You know how many guys would die to go out with you?"

"They want to go out with the girl they read about in the magazines. I'm not that girl."

Kayleigh laughed. "I know. The magazine Brooke sounds way too much like Kayleigh Littrell."

I laughed. When she was right, she was right.

----------------------------------

"Only my sister would have hair and makeup people to help get her ready for her birthday party," Noah said.

"You're just jealous. You could use a facial," I said. He wrinkled his nose.

"Want to give me a bikini wax, No?" Kayleigh called out from her chair to the left of me. I was sharing 'my people' as she called them to help her look 'worthy' of being my best friend. Those are her exact words, not mine. She leaned back in the chair to stare at my brother. I couldn't help but look over to see his reaction.

If Noah had been a cartoon character, his mouth would have dropped to the floor and his eyes would have bounced out of their sockets. Kayleigh laughed.

"Just joking!" she said. She bounced forward again, barely missing the mascara wand the makeup girl was holding.

I saw a look of disappoint flash across his face. I don't think he was disappointed about the wax. He was just disappointed that she didn't take him seriously.

I felt bad.

"Mom said we have to leave in twenty minutes. No excuses," Noah said when he finally found his voice again.

"I promise. Twenty minutes," I said. He disappeared.

---------------------

"You're going to be late to your own party," mom sighed as Kayleigh and I bounced down the stairs forty minutes later.

"You girls look beautiful," dad said. I smiled.

With the knowledge that her mom and dad were going to be at the party, Kayleigh's dress suddenly sprouted another two inches at the hem and a black silk tank appeared behind the plunging neckline of the silver dress.

Mom and I had gone shopping during one of my tour breaks and I had picked out what I called a 'swirly' dress. It was red and the hem floated out in swirls; I paired it with long red and silver necklaces and heels that I knew I would kick off the moment I had the chance.

"Let's rock!" Landon squealed. I had to laugh. He had obviously gotten into dad's hair gel again. His hair was sticking up in crazy spikes. He had a silver chain around his neck.

"Where'd you get the necklace?"

"Dad," Landon said. He smiled up at Nick and held out his hand. There was a high-five exchange.

Noah was leaning against the front door. I know it sounds weird, but he really didn't have to do anything special to look ready for an occasion. Dad always said that he had a face that screamed party. That 'face' had been passed down. His blonde hair fell lazily in that 'just rolled out of bed' look that girls went nuts for.

The only one that didn't look so enthusiastic about the party was Peyton. Mom had stuck her in a dress. Peyton was naturally pretty, but she looked even more so when she actually looked girly. But she was oblivious. I knew this would seriously dampen any plans of climbing anything or maneuvering around in small spaces to pull off a prank.

Mom was always thinking ahead.

"The limo guy looks impatient," Noah said. Dad smiled.

"Well, let's not keep him waiting."

I looked at Kayleigh. She squeezed my arm.

"Best night ever," she whispered into my ear. I laughed.

We headed down the front steps and slid into the limo. Once it took off, dad leaned forward.

"Party rules."

Noah, Kay, and I groaned.

"Rule number one. No leaving the building."

Kay rolled her eyes, but I didn't. Safety was a big thing for me. I nodded.

"Rule number two. If you see anyone spiking any beverage of any kind, you tell one of us," mom said. "Unless you have money to bail your mom and dad out of jail."

"Brooke does," Noah said with a smile. Mom gave him a look usually reserved for when dad said something smart-alecky or just stupid.

"Rule number three. Take lots of pictures," dad said.

"Of me!" Landon piped up. He stuck his fingers in his mouth and pulled as far as he could. His mouth was a mis-match of little teeth and empty spaces. Mom laughed.

"And last but not least, rule number four. Have fun," mom said.

I sat back on the leather seat and smiled.

"Starting now," dad said. He opened the sunroof on the limo. Kay and Peyton shot up and stood on their seat. I followed suit. Pey threw her hands in the air.

"This is what I'm talking 'bout!" she shouted. I laughed.

It was good to be a Carter.