- Text Size +
Chapter Thirty Four

"You look like a Veronica," Kay said. She snapped her fingers. "Ronnie."

"Ronnie?"

Kay laughed. "Well until you come up with something different, that's your name tonight, bestie."

I touched a strand of the long dark wig that I wore. I smiled. This was insane. Kay nudged my side.

We looked at each other and started to laugh.

After a fun dinner and movie with the Littrells, we had gone back to the house. Uncle Bri and Aunt LeighLeigh had gone to bed about an hour ago. During that time Kay had been transforming the two of us for a night on the town.

Kay, otherwise known as 'Britney', wore a short brown wig. Her lime green top sparkled eve in the darkness.

The bus slowly pulled up in front of us. I followed Kay on board.

"So I'm going to be from Mississippi," she drawled.

"Why can't you be from here?"

Kay rolled her eyes. "What fun is that?"

Something told me that Kay's fun was going to be dangerous. I cracked my knuckles.

"You look totally hot with black hair," Kay continued. "Maybe you should dye it."

I snorted. "Yeah right."

The only good thing about the wig and the thick makeup Kay had put on me was that no one seemed to recognize me. Even after we got off the bus and walked into the club, no one had stopped me.

"So, here's the thing!" Kay shouted. I leaned towards her.

"Don't EVER take a drink from someone," she said. "If you set down your drink, don't go back to it. Just get another one."

Her face was serious. I nodded.

"Oh, and the coat closet is mine!"

My eyes widened. She gave me a dimpled grin and bounced into the crowd. I followed.

"I'm going to the restroom!" I called. She nodded.

"I'll get the drinks!"

I headed into the restroom. As I passed the mirror I stopped. I was totally confused for a minute as to the person in the reflection. It was funny, but I actually looked a lot like mom with the dark hair and thick eyelashes. I ran a finger along the strap of my tank top. I felt really gorgeous in a dangerous type of way.

No wonder Kay was the way she was. If I did this a lot I'd probably be just as wild as she was.

I went into a stall. When I got out I washed my hands and reapplied my lipstick. Kay was holding two cups when I walked back to her.

"Thanks Brit," I teased. I took the cup and took a sip. I almost spit it out.

"What's this?"

"Coke," Kay said simply.

I sniffed at the cup. It looked like Coke, but it didn't smell like Coke. And it sure as hell didn't taste like Coke.

"Coke and what?"

Kay snickered. "Rum and Coke."

My eyes widened. "Kay!"

She opened her purse and pulled out just the top of a bottle.

"It's not a lot," she said. "Just chill."

I immediately thought about the publicity and trouble I'd be in if I was caught drinking. Then I remembered that I was practically unrecognizable. The only alcohol I had ever had before was a sip of beer (which was absolutely disgusting). After another sip, I realized the rum and Coke was actually pretty tasty.

"So see that guy over there?" Kay asked. She pointed towards a muscular brunette with a goatee. I nodded and took another sip from the cup.

"He sounds like an ape when he's having sex," Kay said. She giggled and brought the cup up to her mouth.

I tapped my fingers against the side of my drink.

"Kay, can I ask you something?"

For a moment she hesitated. Finally she glanced at me and nodded.

"Sure."

I looked out at the crowded room.

"How many guys have you slept with?"

"Ccunting Donkey Kong over there?" she asked. I nodded.

"Fifteen."

"Fifteen?"

Kay drank heavily from her cup. "Well, it's not like I sleep with every guy. I mean I've probably given way more bj's."

My stomach felt funny. I couldn't even imagine me doing something like that.

"Why?"

She laughed. "Why what?"

"Why do you do it?"

Kay shrugged. "'Cause it's fun. That's what I was born to do."

I looked at her in surprise. "You weren't born to sleep with random guys."

"Do you know how many women your dad's slept with?" she said with a smile. "Or Uncle AJ?"

It was hard to picture my dad with anyone else but mom, but I knew that he had been really promiscuous.

"So? What about your dad?" I asked.

"Mom wasn't his first," she pointed out. "And mom sure as hell wasn't a virgin when they got married."

"Okay let's change the subject," I said. Talking about our parents...sex (ugh) lives was getting gross.

"Sure, let's change the subject. I'm going to ask him to dance."

Before I could say anything, Kay slid her way through the crowd. I stood there holding both my cup and hers. I was feeling a little warm and tingly which I only assumed was the alcohol.

I waited by the bar. I finished my drink. Then I finished Kay's. I was really enjoying the music. It had a fun beat. I began to dance by myself. I was a good dancer.

I was Brooke Carter!

"Hi there."

I turned. A tall guy with black hair was smiling down at me. His eyes sparkled every time the club lights rotated his direction. He was wearing a tight black t-shirt and jeans.

"I haven't seen you here before!" he yelled over the music.

I blushed and shook my head. He was totally hot.

"What's your name?"

I almost said Brooke until a piece of the long black wig brushed against my face and I saw it out of the corner of my eye.

"Ronnie!" I called back.

He grinned and nodded.

"You look like a Ronnie!"

What was with me looking like a Ronnie? I laughed.

"How old are you?" he asked.

"Sixteen," I said. "What about you?"

He paused for a minute. Normally, that probably would have raised a red flag with me. But I had just drank a cup and a half of Rum and Coke. I just continued to smile.

"Seventeen," he said. "Wanna dance?"

I glanced out at the floor. I didn't say Kay anywhere. I nodded.

"Sure."

He took my hand and we found a small space between two other couples. The music was loud and fast. His hands felt warm and strong as he grabbed my waist. His hips grinded towards me. Several times they connected with my body.

I had never felt so warm in all my life.

"What's your name?" I yelled as we stayed on the floor for the second song. I was pretty sure I had forgotten to ask the first time. He gave me a grin.

"Josh."