- Text Size +
Chapter Four

By the time the limo pulled up to the club, I was about ready to bounce right out of my skin. Two small red spotlights illuminated a red carpet.

"I thought we'd make a grand entrance," dad said with a smile.

The carpet was partitioned off by thick ropes on either side. Behind those ropes were my least favorite people of all...

Paparazzi.

"Whatever you do, get out of the car slowly," I warned Kay. She was staring out at the crowd excitedly.

"Why?"

"Panty shot."

I think Kay probably would have done a panty shot on purpose had it not been for the fact that Aunty Leigh and Uncle Brian had just gotten out of a car behind us. Instead, she opened the door and very slowly got out. I did the same.

"BROOKE!"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

"DID YOU BRING A DATE?"

The flash of the lights blinded me. My dad had mom on his left arm but held out the crook of his right for me.

"Ladies," he said with a smile.

I remembered to smile and even though my hair blew in my face, I didn't puff it away. Too many bad pictures landed in magazines when you tried to just act normal.

When we reached the door, the flashes disappeared and it took a second or two for the little spots to disappear from behind my eyes. A guy opened the door and we all walked in. I gasped.

Dad hadn't spared any expense. The club itself consisted of three open air levels. Huge stars dripped down from the ceiling which seemed like it was miles above my head. A DJ was keeping the music going on a large platform.

The bar was serving alcohol for adults and soda for all of us minors. A makeshift video arcade had been constructed in a far corner.

Dad had actually decided to put barcodes on my invitations when they were sent out. No one got in the building without having their encoded invitation.

That meant no paparazzi or other unwanted visitors were allowed in.

This was just my day to have fun.

"Alright, remember! Don't leave the building, take pictures, have fun," dad shouted over the music. I nodded.

"Happy Birthday Brooke!"

I turned. Aunty Leigh smiled down at me. Uncle Bri hugged me.

"Thanks!"

Kayleigh was hovering by their side. She reached out and grabbed my arm.

"Brooke and I are going to mingle!" she shouted. She dragged me off before I could say anything else.

"Your dad rocks!" Kayleigh shouted. She was looking around in appreciation. "Look at this place!"

I grinned. Everything looked awesome.

As we wove through the crowd, I stopped to talk to the guys in my band, my grandma and grandpa, and a few old high school friends. I had studied under a tutor while I had been on tour. I missed school. Noah kept me informed of everything going on, but it was a lot more fun experiencing it yourself.

I was in the middle of talking to a couple girls from the cheerleading squad when Kay tugged on my arm and let out a whistle. I excused myself from the conversation and turned.

"What?"

"Man, who hit him with a hot stick?"

I squinted through the crowd. "Who?"

Kay pointed. "Right there. Are you blind?"

Not far away, mom and dad were talking to Uncle Howie and Aunt Leigh. Their daughter Stephie was talking to Peyton. A good-looking dark haired man was hovering around the group as well. I blinked.

"James?"

"Yeah. Wow, totally caliente."

"He's like eighteen Kay."

"I know."

I sighed, shook my head, and tugged her arm.

"C'mon. Let's get something to drink."

She stumbled behind me, honing in on James as I tugged her towards the bar.

"What can I get the birthday girl?" the bartender asked. I smiled.

"Diet Coke."

"I'll take a scotch on the rocks."

The bartender looked at Kay and laughed.

"Two Diet Cokes coming right up."

We were still waiting for our drinks, when I felt a strong arm wrap around my waist and squeeze. I wrapped my hands around the bar and grunted.

"Happy Birthday!"

I turned. Jonah McLean let go of my waist and grinned. The older he got, the more he looked like his dad. Today, his hair was platnium blonde and he was wearing a shirt with the sleeves ripped off and jeans with so many holes that they should have been thrown away ages ago. He reached up and touched the stud in his chin as if showing off. I had a feeling it was fake. I didn't think they did those type of piercings on kids younger than sixteen.

"How's it going?"

I smiled. "Good. How are you?"

"Can't complain. You're going to have to come here my band sometime."

Kay and I took our drinks from the bartender.

"Your band?"

He grinned. "J.A.M. and the Barracudas."

Kay was mid-sip of her drink; she snorted into her cup. I just smiled.

"E-mail me whenever you play and I'll come check it out."

Joe smiled. "Will do."

I took a step back away from the bar to let someone else in. "Well, it was good to see you. Thanks for coming tonight."

He waved and Kay and I stepped away from the bar. Kay burst into loud laughter when we were out of earshot.

"J.A.M. and the Barracudas? Oh dear God," she said. She jabbed me in the stomach. "I so can't believe you made out with him."

My eyes widened. "I didn't! We just had ONE kiss."

It wasn't a kiss to go down in the history books. My dad and Uncle AJ had decided that it would be fun for Joe and I to go see a movie together about a year and a half ago. I was engrossed in the movie when Joe tugged on my arm and asked me a question. When I turned to ask him to repeat what he said, he kissed me.

That was the last time I went to the movies with Jonah McLean. I had come out of the theater feeling like a plate that had been licked clean.

"Well, maybe he's improved since then," Kay said. I laughed.

"I'm not willing to try again."

"BRENNA ANN GET BACK HERE!"

My eyes widened in surprise. I saw a flash of red whirl past me wearing what looked like glowstick necklaces. Uncle Kevin was right on its heels. With one quick swoop, the culprit was picked up in the air and tipped upside down.

The little girl burst into peels of laughter.

"There's too many people here to run like a wild child," Kevin chided. He bounced her into an upright position and kissed her cheek. Her arms went around his neck.

"But papa, it's fun! I'm glowing!"

Kevin smiled. "I know," he said lovingly. "But, let's go play in the arcade, okay?" He set her down and she clung to his hand, staring up at him adoringly. They disappeared back into the crowd.

I had become so distracted by the scene that by the time I turned to say something to Kayleigh, she had disappeared. I searched the crowd but I couldn't see her.

"Happy Birthday Brooke!"

Joe's better half, his sister Ally, squeezed between two people. She gave me a big hug.

"You look so pretty!"

I blushed. "Thank you. So do you."

And she did. Ally was wearing a green dress with a criss-cross back. Her dark hair was streaked with the same color of green.

"This is an awesome party," she added.

"I know. I can't believe mom and dad did all this," I said. I looked around again. It was pretty great.

"Hey sis, Garrett's looking for you," Noah said in my ear. I jumped. He had snuck up on me.

Garrett was one of the star players on our basketball team. I had been friends with his sister and so subsequently we had become friends. I smiled.

"He's here?"

"Yup. He's over by the arcade."

Noah turned to Ally.

"Hey Al, you look really pretty."

Ally turned crimson. Noah ran a hand through his hair. It fell right back into place.

"Want to dance?"

Ally beamed. "Sure."

They headed out to the dance floor and I made my way to the arcade. I saw Kevin and AJ with Brenna. She was on one of those giant dance dance mats, her hair flying up and down with each bounce.

I looked to my left and there was Garrett. He was tall...a little taller than dad. He had long wavy light brown hair and blue eyes.

And a great smile.

"Happy Birthday, Brooke," he said. I walked up and he hugged me. It was a nice hug.

"Long time no see. You look gorgeous."

I felt my heart leap. I had always had a crush on him.

"Thank you. I'm glad you could come."

He set down his drink and nodded. His eyes flickered past my shoulder and then back to my face.

"I wanted to ask you something."

He wanted to ask ME something? Ack!

"Sure, ask away," I said lightly.

He nodded out to the dance floor. "Want to dance?"

I didn't have to think too long about that. He offered his hand and I took it.

"Lead the way."