- Text Size +
Chapter Forty Three

"Okay Noah and Trevor you get room 303. Brooke and Pey you'll get room 304. Landon, you're staying with me and mommy."

Landon jumped up and down. "YAY!"

Landon had this thing about sleeping in his own bed. Ever since he was old enough to get out of his crib, mom and dad seemed to wake up every morning with him sandwiched between the two of them. Mom would take him back to bed and sure enough, he would always get out.

Pey and I took our luggage into our room. Pey immediately crawled into bed.

"We have a lot to do before we leave!" I told her. She opened a weary eye.

"Brooke, it's like ten o'clock. No one needs three hours to get ready," Pey reasoned. She rolled over. Her dark hair covered her like a blanket.

"Well, I do," I said. I grabbed my razor, shaving gel, and all my other bathroom 'stuff' and locked myself in the huge bathroom. I knew Peyton wasn't looking forward to wearing a dress. I, on the other hand, was looking forward to looking nice because I had a date.

A date that I hoped Noah wasn't telling any deep dark secrets to about yours truly.

-------------------------------------

"BROOKE! I've got to go!"

The hair dryer was on full blast. I was carefully drying each section of my hair. Peyton was banging on the door.

"I told you to start getting ready two hours ago!" I called back.

"BROOKLYN!"

I reached over with my brush hand and clumsily flipped the lock. Peyton stumbled in. She wrinkled her nose.

"It smells in here."

"It's all my hair products," I said.

Pey waved a hand in front of her nose. "All you need is a comb."

I rolled my eyes. Pey moved around me. I was really immune to siblings needing to use the bathroom while I stood in front of the sink. Even though we have three bathrooms at home, it always seems like we're stepping over each other. Landon will literally sit bare bottomed on the toilet and talk to me as if he doesn't have a care in the world.

While Pey took her shower, I flipped the ends of my hair. Then I tossed my head forward like a true rocker and shook my hair to give me that 'messy on purpose' look.

I was only partially done with my makeup when Pey stepped out of the shower.

"You've got to be kidding me," she complained.

"Good things take time!" I said.

"You're not that good."

I gave her a look. She grabbed all of her stuff and got dressed in our bedroom. I looked at my reflection. I practiced my lip pucker like I had seen Kay do.

I laughed. I couldn't wait to see my bestie.

-----------------------------

Because of my early start, the Carters actually left on time for a change. Trevor took my hand. His eyes kept drifting back to my profile.

"You look amazing," he kept saying. "And you smell really good."

"It's the hair products," Pey said, mimicking me from earlier. I shot her a look.

Noah tugged at his tie. He always looked so much older when he got dressed up. It was a far cry from how he usually spent his days -- basketball shorts, t-shirts with holes in them, and underwear that probably hadn't been washed for years (okay, that might be an exaggeration).

Trevor looked amazing. Another ice pack had taken the swelling down around his eye. He had spiked up his blonde hair to epic proportions. And talk about smelling good -- he took the cake.

I smoothed out a wrinkle in my dress. It was a floral patterned dress that kind of reminded me of Japanese cherry blossoms - the white dress was covered in a color palette of black and pink. I shivered happily as the pad of Trevor's thumb trailed over my wrist.

It was going to be a great day.

-------------------------------------

"Leigh totally outdid herself," mom said as we stepped into the church.

I had to agree. There was white satin everywhere. An organist was positioned in a balcony playing beautiful organ music. Everything matched, right down to the perfect pearlized pins that the guys wore to hold their flower onto their breast pocket.

We were directed to our seats on the groom's side of the church. It was filling up fast. I ended up sitting behind a pretty redhead that looked like she was having a heck of a time trying to get her little look-a-like daughter to sit down. I leaned into Trevor a little to get a better look. I smiled.

"Shelby?"

Shelby McLean turned around. She stared at me a momnt and then her face broke into a smile.

"Brooke! It's been a long time!"

We got up and hugged.

"Congratulations on your engagement," I said.

Shelby's eyes sparkled. "Thank you. We're getting married right before Christmas."

While we were talking, her mini-me stared up at me. I vaguely remembered her from my birthday party. I searched my brain for her name. Before I had a chance to ask her, she gave me a huge chipmunk grin.

"LOOK!"

The girl held up her dress. She was wearing underwear with bright pink and yellow stars all over them. Shelby tugged the dress back down.

"Brenna, behave."

At that exact second a tall guy with thick blonde eyebrows slid past a couple people, apologizing profusely. He ran a hand lovingly along Shelby's back.

"Sorry about that. Dad just got here and wanted to know where we were all sitting."

He caught my eye. "Long time no see, Brooke."

I smiled. It was Mason.

"Hi Mason. How are you?"

"I'm--"

He didn't get a chance to answer. Brenna wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Daddy, be a horse!"

He laughed. "Not now, Brenners."

"I CAN BE A CHICKEN!"

I closed my eyes. Our conversation had attracted another participant. Landon began to bawk like a chicken. Brenna joined in.

"Landon, shh!" mom said. I opened my eyes just in time to see her put a light hand over his mouth. His bawks became garbled. Brenna giggled as Mason wrestled her from off his back and sat down with her in his laps. He wrapped his strong arms around her like a roller coaster restraint.

I had a feeling the reception was going to be interesting with two crazy little kids running around.

--------------------------------------

For me, there were three highlights of the wedding. The first was seeing Kay walk down the aisle. Puce dress and all, she looked so beautiful. She was smiling like she didn't have a care in the world.

I prayed that wasn't just a mask, but I knew her well enough to know that it probably was.

The second highlight were the personal vows Baylee and Claudia had written for each other. By that time, Landon and Brenna were getting restless. Kay hadn't been kidding when she complained that the wedding was going to be long. Even so, when Baylee got choked up about half-way through, I was glad that my mascara was waterproof. I turned my head and brushed a tear away.

The third highlight came while I was crying. Trevor reached over and brushed a tear from my cheek. I turned to look at him and he kissed me. It wasn't a long kiss, but it was nice.

Very nice.

Once the bride and groom had kissed and made their way back down the aisle, we all stood to enter the receiving line. Landon started his chicken bawking as we waited. Soon between him and Brenna, we had a whole barnyard of noises.

"She's in rare form today, isn't she?" Uncle Kevin asked Shelby. She laughed.

"That's because she's got a helper."

Mom had given up trying to cover Landon's mouth. He crouched down by her leg, braying like a donkey.

"If we stand far enough away," Noah whispered to Trevor and me. "we can pretend that we're not with them."

I laughed. "One look at us and everyone knows we're Carters, NoNo."

Noah sighed, but not for long. He broke into a smile as we neared Kay.

"KAY!"

She craned her neck. I have to admit that I pushed by a couple people that looked like they were from Claudia's side. Once I got to Kay, I threw my arms around her.

"You look gorgeous!" I exclaimed.

"I'm wearing puce," Kayleigh complained. I laughed.

"You make puce look hot," I assured her. I felt a coat sleeve brush my arm. I turned and smiled happily.

"This is Trevor," I said. He held out his hand and Kay shook it. I could tell by the look on her face that she approved of him.

"Nice to finally meet you," he said.

Kay smiled. "Same here. Brooke's told me oodles."

Trevor looked surprised. My cheeks flamed with embarassment. Kay squeezed my arm.

"As soon as I'm free of the head table I'm hunting you down," she said.

"I would hope so," I said.

At that point, the people still in line got restless and we were shuffled along. I hugged Aunt LeighLeigh and Uncle Bri. Baylee hugged me so tightly he practically lifted me off the ground. And, because I just couldn't help it, I even gave Claudia a hug.

She was Kay's sister-in-law now, whether Kay liked it or not.

As we waited for the rest of the family to catch up with us, Trevor wrapped an arm around my waist.

"This is the biggest wedding I've ever seen," he told me. I smiled.

"The Littrells are experts at big events," I explained.

"Kay's dress is puke!" Landon declared as mom and dad talked to Baylee and Claudia.

"Puce," I corrected.

"PUKE!" Brenna screamed. Landon turned around.

"PUKE!"

"PUKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" they screamed in unison.

"LANDON ANDREW!"

"BRENNA ANN!"

As if on cue, Peyton, Noah, Trevor, and I all took three huge steps away.

"I don't know them, do you?" Peyton asked. Noah and I shook our heads.

"Not at all."

Together we headed back to the rental van. Noah and Peyton got into the van. I was about ready to when I felt Trevor gently squeeze my elbow. I turned.

"I like your family," he said with a smile. I laughed.

"We're kind of a package deal," I explained. His smile widened.

"I like that."

And I liked that he liked that. Between my crazy little brother, Peyton who was already swapping her flats for sneakers, and Noah who seemed in a daze after talking to Kay, we were a mess. And the evening was still young.

I had a feeling that it was going to be an interesting night.