- Text Size +
Chapter Forty Six

Trevor and I took the elevator up to the third floor, kissing the whole way. We giggled as we tripped out into the hallway. Peyton always talked about adrenaline rushes whenever she was out on the boat and the waves were really bad. I had never truly understood what a rush like that could feel like until just this very moment.

We came to a stop right outside the hotel door. I rooted around in my purse until I found my room key. I swiped it and the door to room 304 gave me the green light.

Even the room approved of what I was about to do. Or at least that's what I imagined.

As the door closed behind us, I wrapped my arms around Trevor's neck. I drank in his gorgeous smile before I kissed him again. His fingers snaked through my hair and I felt the soothing sensation of air against my neck.

I felt a little giddy with anticipation. I had no idea how I had gone from trepidation just a few months ago to ready. Maybe it was the romanticism of the evening or just the fact that I had a slight 'hero complex' where Trevor was concerned. Either way, I wasn't going to dwell. There were more pressing issues at hand.

We clumsily made our way to the bed. I sat down and reclined against the pillows. My hold on Trevor's neck brought him down as well. Our kiss deepened and I shivered at the welcome touch of his tongue along my teeth.

After several long minutes of kissing, I began to welcome the next level. I wondered if Trevor was being so slow because of the incident with Garrett. I decided to be a 'take charge' kind of gal. I reached back and undid the zipper of my dress. I let the top fall.

I held my breath. I had to admit, I was waiting for a mischievous grin or a sound of appreciation. But instead, he sat back. I looked up at him in surprise. Here I was! I was ready! What was going on?

"I'm sorry," he said. "I can't do this tonight."

I swallowed down the protest that rose in my throat. I sat up and wrapped my arm across my chest.

"Why? Is it me?" I racked my brain to think of something I could have done wrong. Sure, I didn't know the whole 'drill,' but I didn't think I had screwed anything up. My brow furrowed.

Trevor looked at me incredulously.

"It's not you. It's just..." he trailed off. "It's just that I feel guilty. I mean your parents got these rooms and they flew me out here and I don't feel right doing this knowing that."

"I can buy another room," I said meekly. He laughed.

"I'm a planner," he admitted. "I want everything to be perfect."

I chewed on the inside of my cheek. I hadn't anticipated this. I appreciated his nobility, but I was only sixteen. The logistics were that my parents still paid for a lot of my stuff even though I did have money coming in. That's just what parents did. I mean, I would feel bad if I was doing drugs and alcohol behind my parents back. But this...

Mom and dad so did stupid stuff like this when they were younger. I knew it. I was a result of it. Sure, they were older, but still...my mom had been married! It was in my blood to be at least semi-reckless. I sighed. Trevor brushed my hair away from my face.

"It will happen," he promised. "But not tonight."

I didn't really know what to say. We both got up. I was disappointed. I was trying hard not to be. But I was.

"You're not mad, are you?" he asked as he sat at the edge of the bed and tied his shoes. I shook my head.

"Of course not."

He stood up, gave me a soft kiss, and took my hand.

A couple minutes later, I turned off the light and we walked out of the room. I closed the door behind me. On reflex, I jumped when I heard the door from the next room over open. I looked over in surprise. I was sure it was going to be dad.

Of course, dad wouldn't believe for a minute that this escapade had been my idea. Trevor was going to be a dead man and---

My eyes widened in disbelief. Noah stepped into the hall and turned. He reached in and a second later his arm was wrapped around (and caressing) Kay's waist. The door clicked shut.

"Kay?" I blurted out loudly.

NoNo and her jumped; they must have been oblivious to the fact that I was standing right there.

I stared at them. I didn't even have to ask them what they had been doing up here. I knew.

I couldn't believe it. My little brother has just lost his virginity. Before me. To Kay. My best friend.

"How could you?" I asked Kay. Her eyes widened.

"Brooke I--"

"It's not her fault," Noah said defensively.

I looked at him. The protectiveness I had for my siblings kicked into full gear.

"Noah, she just used you. Just like all the others," I said sadly. "What number was he, Kay? Sixteen? Seventeen by now?"

A large tear floated down her cheek. A sob escaped from her throat. Her dramatics only made me angrier. I turned my back on them and began to walk towards the elevator.

"I'm telling your mom and dad," I said. "You messed with the wrong guy Kayleigh."

"NO!" Noah and Kay shouted in unison.

Noah flew in front of me, blocking my way to the elevator. He was angrier than I had ever seen him. I gave him my best death stare.

"NoNo, get out of my way."

"Brooke, don't be an idiot."

I bristled. "I'm not the one being an idiot," I said. Tears burned in my eyes. "Noah, she's going to hurt you."

"I can take care of myself. I can handle it."

A thousand thoughts ran through my mind. Once Kayleigh gave NoNo the cold shoulder again, he wouldn't be so confident. He was still probably riding whatever high came with losing your virginity. He had always loved Kay and she had finally used that to fulfill her own sick, twisted needs.

I took a breath. My worst fear was that Kayleigh was standing there knocked up with Carter spawn. Then Noah would be trapped forever.

While Noah and I argued, Trevor hung back watching the whole family drama unfold. An overwhelming feeling of selfishness coursed through me. I could feel my face getting redder and redder.

"I'm going to tell," I finally said. It was the type of statement Landon would make, but I didn't care.

Before Noah could say anything, I dodged him and opened the door leading to the stairs. If he wanted to block the elevator, fine.

He was just going to have to chase me and hope he caught up to me.

Otherwise, I was going to rat them out.

I might feel horrible about it tomorrow, but I would worry about that in the morning.