- Text Size +
Chapter Forty Nine

The next morning, I woke up before Pey. I crawled over her sleeping frame and headed into the shower. The only thing on my mind was Kayleigh. I couldn't imagine how terrified she must have been when she woke up.

If she had woken up yet.

By the time I got out of the shower, Pey was groggily doing a pee dance outside the door. She flew in and slammed the door behind her.

I was tugging a t-shirt over my head with mom walked through the door.

"Morning sweetheart," she said.

"Hi mom."

"Dad just called Uncle Brian. Kay's awake. We won't be able to stay long."

"How is she?"

"As good as can be expected," mom said. She walked over and hugged me. Mom always knew when we needed a hug.

"I hope she doesn't hate me," I whispered.

"She won't," mom assured me. "You know, Mason helped save her life as far as her body goes, but by telling us about everything else, you're helping to save her life by giving her a chance to work through her demons."

That made me feel better. I squeezed mom's arm and I pulled away.

"Where's Pey?" mom asked.

"Bathroom."

At that second I saw Landon run by. He was wearing a big hotel towel around his shoulders and I swore he was carrying a plastic ice cream scoop.

"I'm Captain Split!" he said. But, to someone who didn't live with him, it seriously sounded like he was saying 'I'm Captain Shit!'

Mom's eyes widened. "Let her know she needs to hurry up."

And she took off into the hall.

-------------------------------------

We got to the hospital a little before eleven. Noah and I went to the gift shop.

"A balloon just doesn't seem right," I said.

Noah drifted over to the flower case.

"How about flowers?"

We both pulled out six flowers and combined them to make a dozen. After we were done, we joined everyone else back in the lobby.

"I'm going to take Pey and Landon to the cafeteria," mom said. Landon was clinging to her hand and tugging so hard his bottom was almost on the ground.

"I want grilled cheese," he whined.

Peyton looked like she was going to ask to come, but then she seemed to change her mind.

"I'm hungry too," she said.

We split up at the elevators. We took the elevator up to the seventh floor.

"Now, she's heavily bandaged," dad warned. Noah and I nodded.

"And she might not be able to talk to much. They had to tube her. It's out now, but her throat's probably sore."

I winced.

The three of us reminded me of walking in a processional. Dad got to the door first and rapped three times.

"Come in!" Aunt LeighLeigh called.

Dad walked in and Noah and I followed. Noah was clutching the flowers. His fingers ran over the plastic ring at the bottom nervously. My heart was pounding so hard that my chest ached.

Kay was in bed. She was so pale. Her lips looked red against the pasty whiteness of her skin. Her arms were bandaged almost to her elbows. Her hair hung limply around her face.

"Hey Kay," dad said. He was the first one that walked up to the bedside. He kissed her forehead.

"Hi," she said softly. I had never heard her sound so small and timid. She gave dad a weak smile and then looked back at us. All of a sudden, I seemed incapable of moving. I didn't want to see my best friend like this.

Noah took the initiative and stepped up next. "We got you these," he said. Aunt LeighLeigh hopped up to take them and find a vase. Kay's bottom lip quivered.

"Thanks."

Her eyes came back to me.

"I'm so sorry," I said. I was mortified by how shaky my voice sounded. Kay shook my head.

"I am."

We both burst into tears. Suddenly my legs propelled me forward and I leaned down to give her a hug. Her arms were immobile but I could feel her tears soaking into my hair. Finally I pulled back. We looked at each other.

"I just want you to get help," I said. Kay nodded.

"I know," she whispered.

Dad left to talk to Uncle Brian in the hall. Kay's eyes continue to close for longer and longer periods of time. Noah couldn't stop staring at her bandaged arms. He looked like he wanted to punch something. Even I felt awkward. There was so much to say, but I just couldn't say it right now. Too much had happened in such a short period of time.

"We're flying back home," I said sadly. "But can I call you?"

Kay licked her lips and made a face.

"I'd like that."

"I'll probably butt in every now and then," Noah said. Kay gave him a watery smile.

"Okay."

"Hey guys, we better get going if we're going to catch our plane," dad said from the doorway. He walked back in and gave Kay a hug.

"Let us know if you need anything kiddo," dad said. Kay nodded.

I blinked back a fresh round of tears. Noah hugged her next. As he stepped away, I walked up and leaned down. Kay tilted her head towards my shoulder.

When I stood up, we looked at each other.

There was no need for words.

-------------------------------------------------

Noah and I were pretty quiet on the flight home. When we got home, Noah headed straight up to his room. I dumped my bags in my room and walked into his. He was attempting to hide his bags under his bed so he wouldn't have to unpack.

"Hey."

He looked up at me.

"Hey."

I ran a hand through my hair.

"I just want to say I'm sorry."

He gave the bags one more kick.

"I forgive you."

I put my hands on my hips.

"I forgive you? Wouldn't a 'it's okay' suffice?"

Noah smiled at me.

"You bit my fingers. That's not okay."

"That's because you were swinging me up in the air!"

"That's because you have a big mouth!"

"Why are you so annoying?" I asked.

"Probably because my older sister tried to kill me when I was little!"

I scoffed. "I did not."

"When you turned four you tried to run me over with your pink Malibu Barbie Jeep."

"You were in my way!"

"And when I was five you tried to run my hand through the Play-Doh maker!"

"You shoved my purple Play-doh up your nose!"

We both started to laugh.

"I hate you."

"I hate you too."

I sat down beside him on his bed.

"You think Kay's really going to be okay?" Noah asked.

I brought my knees up to my chest and wrapped my lanky arms around them.

"I think so. It's just going to take time."

Noah put his arm around me and hugged me. We sat there for a couple minutes.

"It smells like fries in here," I said. Noah grinned.

"I think I dropped some under my bed like three months ago."

I jumped up. "GROSS!"

He started to laugh. I headed towards the door. I was almost out when I paused. I turned to look at him.

"If you want to have any chance with Kay in the future, you better clean up. She doesn't like slobs," I said. I took a little pleasure in watching his eyes widen.

I headed back to my room. I had tossed my phone on the dresser. It was vibrating like mad. I ran to it, but it stopped before I could answer. I checked my missed calls.

Trevor had called three times in a row.

I didn't know whether to take that as a good sign or a bad sign.

The only way I was going to know was to call him back.