- Text Size +
Chapter Eight

"So how was your first day back?" dad asked.

We were sitting around the table having supper. I cut a piece of lasagna and watched as the cheese stretched out to an incredible length before bouncing up to join my bite.

"It was good," I said. "A little different. People kept asking me questions about the tour, and photoshoots, and stuff."

"And guys kept running into lockers," Noah added. I glanced at him.

"What? You didn't notice?"

I blushed. "No."

"Speaking of guys," mom said. "How was Starbucks?"

I smiled. "Great. Which reminds me...Garrett asked me to go see a movie Saturday. Can I go?"

Dad forked his salad a little harder than normal.

"What movie?"

"I don't know."

"What time?"

"I don't know."

Noah grinned. I shot him a look.

"Where?"

Ugh, I was going for the three peat.

"I don't know."

"Then, no."

"Nick..." mom said. They had one of their infamous silent conversations. It was a little creepy sometimes. Finally mom looked at me.

"Tell you what. When you can answer those questions, we'll talk."

I smiled. I had gotten one instant no, but I had a feeling once I could provide more information I'd have one yes.

I hoped.

-------------------------

"What kind of movie do you want to see?"

Garrett was sitting across from me at my lunch table. Noah was parked a little farther down. I had a feeling he was hanging on to every word. That way, if I stretched the truth a little, he would know. And then dad would know.

Ugh.

"We could go see the new Green Lantern movie?"

"The original was better," Noah interjected.

"He's right," Garrett said. "What about that one about where the girl goes lives with her dad in Paris?"

Noah snorted. The girls sitting across from him giggled.

"That's a chick flick."

"I know."

Garrett and Noah looked at each. There was some silent 'male' exchange that occured.

Finally Noah smiled.

"You know, I've been wanting to see that one."

Garrett frowned. I did too. I had a bad feeling about this...

Noah looked over at Emma who was one of the girls that had giggled moments ago.

"How would you like to go see that Saturday?"

Emma smiled. The Carter phermones were at work agai.

"I'd love to. What time?"

Noah looked over at Garrett and me.

"What time?"

"You're not coming with us."

"Last I checked, your car seats four."

I stabbed at the pudding on my plastic lunch tray. Chocolate goo ran over the sides.

"It prefers only two people."

"But I'm sure mom and dad would think it was a great idea."

I clenched my teeth. Noah wasn't usually so ornery.

I had a feeling dad put him up to this.

I looked back at Garrett and sighed.

"What time?"

"Well I was thinking the seven o'clock show and maybe we could get pizza before hand..."

"You like pizza Emma?"

"I prefer Chinese."

"She prefers Chinese."

"Chinese works," Garrett said quickly.

I was fighting a losing battle.

"Okay how about you meet at my house at five and then we'll go?"

"That works."

Garrett stood up and went to toss his lunch tray. I leaned diagonally across the table.

"You are so going to pay."

Noah smiled. "C'mon. It's just a double date. It won't kill you. And if he tries anything..."

I rolled my eyes. There was a deep seated trait that ran through the male Carter line to inheritantly protect the women in the 'tribe.' Usually I didn't mind, but this time was different.

This was the kind of date I'd been waiting for a long time.

--------------------------------

"What movie?"

"To Paris and Back."

"What time?"

"Seven o'clock."

"Where?"

"Movies 16 on Ballard Street."

"Are you going anywhere else?"

"China Garden at five for dinner."

"And you'll be back by?"

"Eleven?"

"Ten."

It was taco night. Noah winked at me as he dunked a chip into his salsa. I stuck out my tongue.

Dad smiled over at Noah.

"And who are you going with?"

"Emma."

"Emma who?"

"Emma Schmidt. She goes by Schmiddy."

"Cute?"

"Passable."

Mom and I both just shook our heads.

"Look what I can do!"

Everyone glanced over at Landon. He put an empty shell on its side, held up his hand, and karate chopped it into pieces with a loud 'Hi-ya!' He jumped in his seat and laughed.

I couldn't help but smile at his excitement. He seriously was his own form of entertainment...and ours too.

"Dad, can we go out on the boat Saturday?" Peyton asked.

Dad looked at her. He usually always said yes. They were both perpetually tan all year round.

"Sure. As long as we're back by five."

I stifled any form of complaint. I knew why he wanted to be back by five.

He wanted to be here when Garrett arrived. It was the whole 'dad' vs. 'teen guy dating my daughter' thing.

This was going to be interesting.

---------------------------

"Dad got the boat up super fast today. My jacket was -- are you listening?"

I was only half listening to Pey. Her hair was completely windblown and she had a little streak of grease on her cheek. I kept checking my reflection in the mirror.

I had changed my clothes five times. I had started off with a skirt, but then thought that was too dressy. I had tried on two pairs of jeans, but they seemed too casual. I had grabbed my black pants, but after sliding one leg in, changed my mind.

Finally, I settled on a pair of light tan flares with a bright scarf wrapped around my waist for a pseudo-belt and paired it with a short sleeve sweater that was low in the front, but not too low.

"What Pey?"

"I said Dad--"

The doorbell rang.

"Crap."

I had hoped to get downstairs and hover by the door to attempt to minimize the dad impact.

My plan had failed.

I grabbed my purse.

"You'll have to tell me later Pey," I said. I quickly headed down the stairs.

"So, do you play any sports?"

"Basketball."

"I'm a big fan of hunting myself."

I stopped at the foot of the stairs and stared at the back of dad's head. He had never hunted a day in his life.

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, shot a bear not too long ago. Taller than you."

"GARRETT!"

Dad turned. Garrett was standing in the door looking uncomfortable. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Noah leaning against the back of the couch, his arms folded across his chest, smiling.

"Hi Brooke," he said. He sounded relieved. "You look nice."

"Doesn't she?" dad added. "She always looks nice. That's because she's a nice girl. Catch my drift, Garrett?"

Dad put a hand out on his shoulder. I think he might have squeezed a little bit because Garrett looked surprised.

"Yes, sir."

Behind Garrett's shoulder I saw Emma get out of her mom's car. Garrett had parked his older model car at the curb.

"Well, Emma's here!" I said, a little too enthusiastically. I walked up and kissed dad's cheek. He let go of Garrett's shoulder.

"Are you two leaving?"

Mom opened the sliding door leading to the backyard and looked in. Landon was playing in the sand box. He lifted a huge shovelful of sand, closed his eyes, and sent it dropping on his head like he was in the shower.

"Yeah, Emma's here," Noah said. "We'll be back by ten, mom."

Mom smiled. I know parents say that don't have favorites, but Noah's always been a 'momma's boy' and she has always been really lenient on him.

"Okay, have fun. Brooke take a jacket in case it gets cold."

"I GOTS SAND IN MY EYES!" Landon wailed. Mom closed the sliding glass door. Landon was flailing his arms.

I grabbed a jacket. Dad was still in the doorway. Emma hovered behind Garrett. I picked up my keys.

"Alright, we're off," I said. I squeezed past dad. He finally stepped back so Noah could get out.

"Be careful!" dad called. "Call me if you need anything!"

"Love you!" I called.

"Love you too!"

Dad watched us as we got in the car. He was still watching us as we pulled away.

"So that was Nick Carter, huh?" Garrett said. I smiled.

"Yup, that's our dad," I said.

"Does he really hunt?" Garrett asked. I opened my mouth, but Noah was one step ahead of me.

"Only humans," he said seriously. "Specifically males age 15-24."

I laughed. "He's kidding," I said.

"No I'm not."

I licked my lips. There went my lip gloss.

If Noah kept this up, it was going to be a long night.