- Text Size +

Day 1 – September 1

Caitlin’s Point of View

Having Nick Carter in my room was like having another student. I found myself correcting him as much as I corrected my students. I never thought a thirty year old man could be compared to a five year old child. If today was any indication of what the year was going to like with Nick, I had my work cut out. Maybe this is why so many teachers drank.

“Mr. Carter, we need to discuss my expectations of you for the school year.” I motioned him over to the table. The students were at art class.

“Okay, Miss Abbott.” He smiled and sat at the child size table.

“I take my job very seriously. I expect a lot out of my students. They have a lot to learn in a short time period. We do a lot of hands-on age appropriate activities. At the same time they are expected to listen and follow directions. You will not do anything to interfere with their learning or well being or I will see that you are removed from my class.”

“Yes. I will be on my best behavior.”

“For the first few weeks, you will be assisting me with lessons and activities. You will pass out papers, check papers, get materials ready, pass out snacks, etc. When I see that you are ready I will have you work with small groups of students on math and reading.”

“Sounds like fun.” Nick remarked sarcastically.

“Mr. Carter, I do not need an attitude from you. Personally, I don’t really need your help. You are here because you got into trouble. I do not want to hear you mention why you are helping in the classroom. The students don’t need to know about your personal life. Tomorrow, please do not wear jeans and a t-shirt.”

“What am I suppose to wear?”

“Dress clothes. I’m sure you have some. Dress pants and a dress shirt would work. I expect you to act professionally. You mess with my students; I will mess with your community service.” I looked him in the eye.

“I will be prepared for tomorrow. Is there anything else I need to know?”

He looked uncomfortable. I wasn’t trying to be mean, but I had a lot of expectations. You had to play by my rules if you were going to survive a year in my room. I wasn’t a mean teacher, but I had no tolerance for spoiled celebrities who get into trouble and get thrown into my room for community service. It was ridiculous to have singer coming and working in my room.

“Yes, I would like you to read the chapters on ages five and six in Yardsticks. It will help you understand the developmental stages of the students in this classroom. We will discuss it tomorrow. Do you have any questions?”

“Not at the moment.”

I handed Nick the book and went to my desk to work. Nick sat at the table reading the book I had given him.

--------------------------------

Nick’s Point of View

“Mr. Cart, could you please open my chips?” Fred smiled at me.

“It’s Mr. Carter.” I said as I opened the bag.

“Okay Mr. Cart. Thanks.”

I saw another student raise her hand. I walked over to her side of the table.

“What do you need honey?”

“Can you open my yogurt?”

I took the yogurt and pulled the seal off. Pink yogurt splattered all over my shirt.

“Oh shit.”

“Miss Abbott. Miss Abbott. Mr. Carter said a bad word.” Anastasia yelled across the cafeteria.

Miss Abbott walked over to our table.

“What is wrong?”

“Mr. Carter said a bad word.” I gave the little girl a dirty look. She gave me one back. I did not like Anastasia.

“Anastasia there is no need to yell across the room. Please raise your hand if you need my attention.”

“But, Miss Abbott, he cussed in front of us.”

“Anastasia, that is enough. I will deal with Mr. Carter. Please try to remember not to tattle. If you are trying to get someone in trouble that is tattling. If someone is hurt or in trouble you need to tell a teacher or grownup. That is helping. Think about it.”  Miss Abbott walked away from the table.

I was relieved that she didn’t reprimand me in front of the kids. I think I was in more trouble than most of the students in the class. I didn’t know how to act in a school setting. It was a whole different world.  Hanging out with Baylee was nothing like being with twenty kids in the classroom.

“Mr. Carter, cursing is not appropriate or acceptable in the school setting. Please refrain from using bad words.” She gave me the teacher look. I was already tired of that look. Miss Abbott had a habit of treating me like a kid instead of an adult. It wasn’t my fault I wasn’t a teacher. I was learning as I went. I wish she would cut me some slack

“I’m sorry. It kind of slipped. I’m not used to working with kids. I will try harder.” I gave her my best smile. I think I was acting like one of her students.

“Thank you. I apologize for Anastasia’s behavior. She is having difficulty with tattling.”

Miss Abbott handed me a napkin and walked away.

So far my day had been horrible. It was going to be a long year. I thought the fans were crazy, but nothing compared to five and six years olds.