- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
ok here is the next chapter... I really would love your feedback. I'm on a roll. :)
It was the middle of October already, she felt the cool breeze. Her supply of medicine was dwindling but she was not going to back out from her intention. She was ready for whatever was to come.

She looked out of the apartment she occupied right on top of her grandfather’s garage, her pops had the best land in all Portage a total of twenty acres. She smiled at the beauty of fall, the yellows, oranges and reds were beautiful as the sun came up.

So far coming back home had been the best choice. Her mother seemed more at ease and she realized that fall and winter were her favorite seasons, Wisconsin was the best state for those seasons. It was already cool.

She was brought back from her thoughts by the knock on her door. She assumed it to be Janelle so without much thought opened the door. “Chase?” she said.

“Hey,” Chase said giving her smile. “Can I come in?”

“Uhm yeah sure,” Daphne said allowing him in. “What are you doing here this early?”

“Well I wanted to invite you for later tonight we are playing at a bar in Madison. I would love for you to listen to our new material. I also have this.” He said taking out an orange envelope.

“Oh what’s this?” she said taking the envelope and opening it. She smiled as she saw the invitation. “Oh your annual Halloween bash.”

“Yeah when Carina heard you were back she made sure to give me an invitation for you.” Chase said giving her his lopsided grin.

“How’s your sister?” Daphne asked as she heard her name.

“Good she is actually knocked up. Pete is super excited about it…” Chase said excited himself.

“Your going to be an uncle finally?” Daphne said excitedly.

“Yeah… that way Carina will have someone else to take care of instead of me! I am twenty seven for crying out loud.” Chase said as he ran his hand through his Mohawk.

“Well to her you will always be her baby brother she did raise you…” Daphne said. “I was just about to go for a walk up the hill maybe find some blackberry’s”

“Oh cool need a companion?” Chase asked as he saw Daphne put on her coat and a scarf.

“Ok but you sure you can?” she asked as she grabbed her Ipod.

“I can and you might need protection against a bear or something.” Chase said grinning at her.

“Yeah? What can you do? Run faster than me to get help?” she asked laughing a little.

“I can give myself to the bear so you can run.” He said with his lopsided smile again. “Your hair looks wicked in this haircut.” He said as he got closer to her and ran his fingers through her long bangs.

“Thanks…” she said blushing. Chase always made her blush, he was looking extra hot too. “Shall we go?” she asked.

“Yeah…” he cleared his throat.

**********

“I still can’t believe she had to leave so suddenly. Poor Daphne, I really liked her.” Rochelle said as she crawled up the bed and toward Alex.

“Yeah so she asked me to keep an eye on her car. She even put the house for sale.” Alex said feeling a little guilty for sort of lying to Rochelle.

“Well let’s hope all is well with her parents and she can return. If not maybe we can help by sending it or maybe we could drive it up there for her.” Rochelle said as she straddled her fiancé.

“We’ll wait and see.” Alex said pulling Rochelle in for a kiss. That was all it took for her to stop her blubbering about Daphne.

“Oh god I’ve missed you… I am so glad to be home.” Rochelle moaned as Alex found her sensitive spot on her neck.

Alex only moaned as he tried to put away his thoughts about the lie he was feeding his fiancée. He still didn’t know what to make of the letter and it was apparent he had to put that off till he was alone again.

He stopped what he was doing and allowed Rochelle to take control. In that moment it hit him what if Daphne was really ill to the point that she felt she had little time wouldn’t she want to be with her family? What if she had gone back home? There was only one way to find out. He knew the perfect person for the job… so did this mean he had made up his mind and was not angry at Daphne?

What had Daphne done to him?

“Alex!” Rochelle said as she smacked his chest. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” he said quickly as he grabbed her and pinned her on the bed. “Let me show you just how happy I am to see you…” he said as he began to kiss her again.

“No I’m not in the mood anymore…” Rochelle said pushing him away. “Maybe another night when your not lost in your thoughts.”

He sighed as he saw Rochelle get off bed and into the bathroom. "What the hell is the matter with you Alex you just said no to sex with your hot fiancée." He reached for his cellphone after he heard the shower being turned on.

"Hello?" he heard Nick say.

"I need your help." Alex said cutting to the chase.

*******

"Daph," Chase said as they sat on a fallen tree.


"Hmm," Daphne said as she looked at the beauty of the woods.

"I know you don't want me to talk about us but I can't help it." Chase said. "I love you and I know you are trying to spare me from suffering... but I am still suffering because I don't have you. I want to be with you as long as you are here."

"Chase," Daphne said putting space between them. "I know how you feel and trust me, I am very attracted to you right now, always have. But to see you suffer as you see me die is not something I can live with. Besides this past year I have learned so much about myself."

"Daph you love me right?" Chase asked cutting her from speaking.

Daphne bit her lip, she did love him but only half heartily for Alex had now taken the other half ok maybe more than half... but she wasn't going to admit that. Besides she didn't want to harm Chase more than she was already doing so she gave him a weak smile, "Yes."

"Then just let me in." He said before crashing his lips to hers.

Daphne felt the heat of the kiss and could not help but kiss him back. It brought her old memories and she loved those memories. Yet after a short second the face of Alex popped in her head and she pulled away.