- Text Size +
“What are you doing here?” Daphne finally asked as they both sat on a fallen tree trunk.

“What am I doing here?” Alex said removing his hat and mask. “I have tried to think of a way to explain that question because I knew you would ask me that.” He started as he looked at her.

“Well?” Daphne said as she rubbed her arms, it chilly she now realized it had been a bad idea to wear a strapless dress.

“I can’t really explain it without sounding like a total weirdo.” Alex finally said exhaling. “But how about I tell you that I am glad I found you because it was killing me that we had not seen each other after that wonderful kiss.”

Daphne shook her head, “I wanted to be that way. How did you know I was here?”

“I have my ways…” Alex said staring at her intently. “You can’t just go into someone’s life and change it. Then expect to just leave it without hurting that person!” he said a little angry.

“I’m sorry that wasn’t supposed to have happened.” Daphne said feeling horrible.

“I don’t believe that.” Alex said bluntly. “I believe that your purpose here is to change people’s lives. You’re a great talker and you free spirited Daphne… you can make the most grouchy person smile. It’s your nature to help people change and to experiment life the best way possible. I think that is what made me become attracted you… you not afraid to live.”

“That’s because I don’t have much more to live!” Daphne said.

“Don’t say that!” Alex said hugging her. “As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.” Alex said softly into her ear. “A very wise person told me this and I believe to be true.”

“I lied…” She said hugging him.

“Have you tried seeing other specialist…?” Alex finally asked the question.

“It has spread Alex its everywhere. My kidneys are starting fail… Nothing can cure it… the medicine I’ve been taking is only to ease my pain.” She said.

“I know some people who know great doctors maybe they can help us.” Alex said.

Daphne shook her head and pushed him away slowly. “They all say the same thing Alex. I’ve traveled but not only to experience life to the fullest I’ve done research and have tried every treatment possible to find a cure. Nothing has helped.”

“Well then we should make the best of the time we have…” Alex said giving her smile.

“We?” Daphne asked.

“Yes I plan on staying here with you…” Alex said.

“No you can’t what about Rochelle? I can’t do that to her…” Daphne said standing up quickly. “You need to Alex and you have stay away.”

“About that…” Alex said pulling out the envelope. “She wanted me to give this to you.”

“What she knows you’re here?” Daphne asked shocked.

“Yes… she sent me to you.” He said as he handed her the envelope.

********

“Hey Janelle have you seen Daphe?” Chase asked as he spotted Janelle.

“Uhm no… I think she said she was going to the ladies room. Listen while I wait for her why don’t you dance with me… Russell has left me neglected.” She pulled on him till they were on the dance floor.

“Fine but then you are going to help me find her. I want her to tell me what she thought of the song.” He said smiling at her.

“She loved it.” Janelle said nervously as she looked around trying to spot Paloma Faith or a Phantom of the opera outfit in the crowded barn.

“She did? I hope she will finally let me be with her. I love her so much.” Chase said a smile on his face.

“Chase… maybe you should look for someone else. I’ve been with Daphne and she is not getting better. Don’t make her feel obligated to be with you. She loves you she does but she also doesn’t want to hurt you.”

Chase stared at Janelle, “Why are you all of a sudden on her side. She needs someone that loves her by her side. I will be there for her till her last breathe, of course always praying for a miracle that will save her.”

“Chase, just think about it ok? Don’t get offended you’re my friend and I am just telling you like it is.” Janelle said biting her bottom lip, she had a feeling that with AJ’s presence Chase was going to get into trouble.

“I understand your concern and thank you for caring but you know just how much I love her. I can’t just move on knowing she is still here and that she loves me still.”

Janelle swallowed the lump in her throat and smiled weakly. “I know.” She said in head only agreeing with him loving her still.

The song finished and Janelle quickly spoke, “Listen why don’t you check the bathroom and I’ll look around.”

“Fine if you find her just text me and if I find her then I’ll text you.” Chase said as he began to walk toward the restrooms.

“Hey Chase help me with this.” His brother in law Pete said to him as he passed by him.

“Ok.” He said hesitantly as he looked toward the bathroom. “Where do you want me to put the table?”

“Just put it by the shed tomorrow I’ll put away. It’s just Corina thinks we need more dancing space.” Pete said helping him fold the legs to the table.

“Only my sister,” Chase said as he picked up the table and began to walk out the crowded barn. He walked a few feet to the shed and put the table down. “Now I just have to find Daphne.” He told himself as he began to walk back to the barn.

He was almost to the entrance when saw the red dress, the dress Daphne was wearing. She was with someone, curiosity got him and he walked toward them. As he got nearer he had to stop in his tracks as he saw Daphne willing accept the kiss of the man with her…