- Text Size +
“I really do appreciate this Dr. Hunt.” Daphne said as she followed the doctor into the cancer wing at Children’s Hospital. “I have helped before where I use to live but I just moved down here and wanted to check it out. I also want to visit them and give them gifts.”

“I think that will be wonderful Miss Newbury,” he eyed her and smiled. “It is nice to see people your age helping out the best they can.”

“Well lets just say I know by experience how this is…” Daphne said looking out a window into the busy streets of LA.

“Are you a cancer survivor?” he asked.

“No… I’ve been battling it for quite sometime. It has spread and I am not responding to treatment well…” Daphne said as she closed her eyes to try to stop the tears that threatened to come out. “Any who I want to give to all these kids happiness… show them some fun when they are stuck in here.”

“I’m sorry.” Dr. Hunt said swallowing the lump in his throat.

“Hey I’m fine… just you know taking it a day at a time.”

“Here let me show you around then.”

******

Daphne pulled up to her home and gasped when she saw who stood outside her gates. “Janelle?” she whispered as she opened her gates and drove the car in. After parking she got out of the car and ran toward her friend.

“Well look at you… you look great.” Janelle said hugging her. “Don’t blame Everett he really did try to keep it away from where you were but I do have the feminine advantage and well got it out of him.”

“I’m glad you’re here.” Daphne said hugging her again. “I’ve missed you.”

“Me too… by the way Chase wanted me to tell you he misses you and loves you. To come back home.” Janelle said.

“Janelle please… you know better than anyone that what I am doing the best for me.” Daphne said as she pulled on her friends arm and walked toward her house. “So before you freak out I have a monkey… as a pet.”

“Oh my fucking god… are you serious?” Janelle asked stopping in mid step.

“Yes… I got him in Brazil.” Daphne said laughing.

“I can do this… it’s a monkey not a dog.” Janelle said taking deep breath. “Hey love the new hair.”

“Thanks I had no choice…” she said as she opened the door to her home. “Welcome to Daphne’s abode.”

“Wow… Daph you have outdone yourself. You are so talented.” Janelle said admiring her walls all had a different drawing.

“Thank you… I still have to finish the hall, my room and well half the house.” Daphne said smiling proudly at her job. “How’s Chase?”

“Sad… he really does love you Daphne.” Janelle said as she plopped into a bean bag.

“It is best that he learns to live without me…” Daphne said.

“He was willing to marry you…” Janelle said as she pulled out a black velvet box from her pocket. “He wanted me to give you this… he still wants you to have it.”

“I don’t want it…” Daphne said walking away abruptly.

“HEY…” Janelle said following her out of her house and into her back yard. She gasped as she saw the entire yard full of dandelions. “Wow…”

“I know…” Daphne said picking a puff ball again and blowing on it. “I loved him too.”

“Then why not let him be here for you now?” Janelle said as she approached her.

“I just don’t just like I don’t want my mother or any other relative here.” Daphne said.

“Well at least grant him his wish.” Janelle said as she took her hand and slowly slipped the diamond cut ring with onyx stones around the diamond into her ring finger. “It’s gorgeous.”

“It is.” Daphne said as she looked at her hand. “I hate my life…” she said hugging her friend as she began to cry.

********

Alex had been in earshot to what Daphne and some woman talked. What could she be hiding from? He had almost gone toward the fence to ask if she was alright as he heard her cry.

Something was wrong with Daphne and didn’t know what it was. He wanted to… she sounded really hurt. He couldn’t just sit here though and torture his mind with the many possibilities.

“I have to get out of here for a while.” He told himself as he grabbed his keys. As he walked out he saw Daphne and her friend leave too.

Without really understanding his actions he was following them. It was sort of hard though so he wouldn’t get caught. He kept thinking about the talk he had overheard.

After a thirty minute drive he recognized the where they were. He waited for them to enter the busy Night club. It wasn’t his favorite club very paparazzi infested. He sighed heavily as he dialed a number.

“Ok this better be good.” Nick said answering the call from Alex.

“Hi listen I was wondering if you wanted to hang out with me right now?” Alex asked.

“Uhm ok? Lauren is out with her girlfriends… where do you want to meet?” Nick asked.

“Les Deux?” Alex said cautiously.

Nick began to chuckle, “Your kidding right?”

“No… ah come on just tonight…” Alex asked as he lit a cigarette.

“No… I’ll pass.” Nick said.

“I’ll explain in detail my reasons if you come…” Alex said.

“Ok but if it gets to crowded and paparazzi infested I am out of there.” Nick said as he began to look for something to wear. “See you in a few.”

Alex smiled, “Thanks ok see you here.” He said as he hung up.

*******

“Wow the prices are out there.” Janelle said as she eyed at some of the prices.

“Ok don’t worry about that I got this.” Daphne said as she took a seat.

“I can’t let you buy me everything Daph.” Janelle said.

“Yes you can and you will I have a lot to spend before I die.” Daphne said with a bitter smile.

“OK we promised not to think about that remember?” Janelle said as she looked around. “I wonder if we will meet any celebrities.”

“We will eventually this a hot spot for that.” Daphne said.

After fifteen minutes they were already happy and enjoying there second drink. “I really don’t think you should be drinking with all that medicine you drink.” Janelle said as she took a drink from her rum and coke.

“Why bother?” Daphne said eating the olive from her martini. “We should go bowling tomorrow or do something.”

“I want to take that Dearly Departed Tour.” Janelle said with a smile.

“OOOH that sounds interesting.” Daphne said and that’s when she spotted Alex and Nick walking into the club. “You got to be kidding me.”

Janelle followed her stare and gasped when she recognized them. “Wow Nick got yummy.”

“Uhm… yeah.” Daphne said nervously.

“We should go ask for there autographs. I mean you were into them big time… wasn’t AJ your favorite?” Janelle asked and then looked at Daphne when she realized AJ had waved toward them and were now walking toward them.

“I’ll explain later please.” Daphne said just before they made it to where they were.

“Daphne what are you doing here?” Alex asked smiling at her.

“I was showing my friend a good time. She came to visit me so I am showing her LA…” Daphne said smiling at him. “Alex this is my friend Janelle Sims.”

“Janelle?” Alex said as he remembered there first conversation. The woman extended her hand and smiled, “Nice to meet you.”

“Same here…” Janelle said as she extended her hand to Nick.

Nick took it and smiled. “How are you liking LA?”

“Well I just got here today but so far what I have seen has been good.” Janelle said as she turned to look at her friend. She didn’t look to well she was sweating and looked like she was going to faint. “Daph you ok?”

“Yeah I’m fine…” Daphne said giving her a weak smile. “I think I am ready to go…”

“Yeah ok… we should head out.” Janelle said knowing to well what was happening to her friend.

“It was nice seeing you again Nick and Alex I’ll see you around.” Daphne said as she patted a napkin to her forehead. “I think I’ve had too many drinks, you should drive Janelle.”

“Ok…” she said as she took her friends keys. “Bye.”

Alex and Nick watched them walk away. “You see what I mean?”

“No… she is obviously drunk and that is her friend who is here visiting. You are hallucinating AJ and not only that I think you might be a little more interested in the redhead than you lead on. Shame on you… I can’t believe you dragged me out here for this.”

“Why do I bother to even explain things to you…” Alex asked as he sighed heavily. “Something is up and I am going to find out.”
Chapter End Notes:
hehe... and the plot will thicken. Review? :)