- Text Size +
Story Notes:
My first short story. I have a couple chapters written but I'll be slowly posting based on how fast I can proofread and write :) Hope you enjoy. Please leave feedback!
“What’s your name?”

I almost jumped out of my skin! A little boy that couldn’t be any older than three peeked into my office and interrupted me from my thoughts. I was in the middle of charting for my last patient.

“Kevin. What’s yours?”

“Michael. How old are you?”

“I’m 37.” I left out the half.

“Oh. Are you a doctor?”

I get that a lot. People see a man in scrubs and assume I’m a doctor. I knew that would happen going into this profession. I also knew that with this job, I would be surrounded by women. And I am, but I didn’t mind. That’s what I signed up for.

“No, I’m not a doctor.”

“Miiiiiichaaaaaaaalll! Where you at? Get your ass over here right now or else no McDonald’s.”

This is the part of the conversation where I get annoyed. Michael’s visit didn’t bother me at all but his mom’s shrill demands sure did. Five bucks says that when Michael has to come see me for being overweight, his mom is going to deny fast food completely.

“Michael, let’s go find your mom.”

I took his little hand in mine and we turned the corner. I handed him off to his mom who barely muttered her thanks.

I walked back to my office and as I stared at my computer to finish my charting, I continued to type the same words that I’m used to typing.

Excess juice
Inadequate water intake
Fast food 3-4 x per wk

Sometimes it seems like everyday is exactly like the one before it. I finished my note and grabbed the next chart. I’m a creature of habit so it doesn’t bother me too much. But sometimes I feel like I’m not really helping people. I just feel like I should be doing something bigger.

Working as a registered dietitian at a pediatric clinic was not easy. More specifically, working in the WIC clinic was not always easy.

Yes, on an easy day the work could be mindless but that’s not what I signed up for.

I didn’t become a dietitian to print vouchers and give them out. I did it to make a difference. I want to help lower the rates of childhood obesity. I want to be part of the solution, not the problem.

I want to teach these parents healthy eating habits to pass down to their children.

But eight of the ten people I meet could care less about what I had to say.

They just want their vouchers.