- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Just some notes for the whole story. All recommendations are real :) Feel free to use them. This chap is a bit longer. Enjoy!
For every good day I had, feels like I had a couple of bad ones. Today started with me waking up late. I had a rough night with Mason, who decided that he was more interested in me reading Green Eggs and Ham to him repeatedly than in going to sleep.

I didn’t even have time to pack lunch today. I tugged on some clothes while brushing my teeth and grabbing a piece of bread on the way out. As I pulled up to work with two minutes to spare, I did a quick inventory. Clothes were on, had my badge, and had a bottled water. I ran in so I wouldn’t clock in late, and then I got to work immediately.

Halfway through the day, I had reached my ultimate annoyance level, and it all started with my first appointment. Jamie was referred to me for being overweight. His BMI/AGE was at the 98th percentile on the growth charts.

“So Ms. Hoffman, Jamie was referred to me because his weight is a little high for his height right now.”

“Well, he’s really tall.”

“He is really tall. He’s actually at the 80th percentile height for age. But this number actually factors in his height already. It’s his weight for his height. You mentioned here that he skips breakfast and eats snacks between meals. So why don’t you tell me what kinds of foods he likes to snack on.”

“He loves chips. I can’t stop him from eating chips.”

I never understood that. How can you not stop your child from eating chips? He’s only 4!

“Well, where does he get the chips from, Ms. Hoffman?”

Has she figured it out yet? Wait for it…

“I buy them.”

She looked bored.

“Well, why don’t you just stop buying them and that way he can’t find them in the house and eat them?”

“I guess. I never thought about that. But see, I like chips, and I’m not overweight. I don’t think I should have to suffer.”


Is it suffering when we can’t have chips now? Last time I checked, suffering was a poor child that is being made fun of for being overweight. Suffering is Type 2 Diabetes in children. Suffering is people in other countries that have nothing to eat and no government program to help. I still don’t think Ms. Hoffman gets it. Eating healthy isn’t a form of deprivation, it’s just educating them on how to take care of their bodies.

I can’t blame her completely though. You know something’s gone wrong in this society when we feel like we’re suffering if we don’t get junk food. I switched the food package to 1% or skim milk instead of 2%, and then I printed the vouchers and had her sign them. I typed up my notes and ended them with “Expect poor compliance.”

My thoughts were interrupted with the constantly ringing phone. Now that I think of it, it’s been ringing like crazy all day. We had a clerk whose only job was to answer the phone. I looked at the schedule and remembered that it was Jill who was on phones. She was probably in the bathroom again. I swear, I think she spent half the day in there. If you ask me, I’m pretty sure she can blame the Taco Bell she ate for lunch everyday.

Alright, I’ll take one for the team. I pulled up my computer to the scheduler tab.

“Good afternoon, Lexington Health Unit WIC. How can I help you?”

“Um, yes. I got my vouchers for my baby’s milk earlier this month but I already ran out. How can I get more?” I got her name and looked up the vouchers given so far. Sure enough, she had already received this month’s vouchers, and there was nothing I can do. This won’t end well.

“Well ma’am, you’ve already received this month’s vouchers. Unfortunately, there’s nothing we can do to provide more formula. You’ll have to wait until next month to cash the next month’s voucher.”

“What’dya mean? My baby’s hungry and you’re telling me you can’t give me more formula?”

“I’m sorry about that ma’am, but WIC does not necessarily provide your family with all foods needed. It is a supplemental food program.”

“So what am I supposed to do?”

The shit’s about to hit the fan.

“Well ma’am, you can buy it.”

“BUY IT???!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH FORMULA COSTS? I can’t afford that and thanks to you people I guess my baby’s just gonna starve!” That lovely statement was accompanied with her slamming the phone.

Wow. Funny how I knew how that conversation was gonna go. I know that formula is expensive, but it’s true. WIC is a supplemental program, and it’s not our fault that she ran out. I really don’t mean to sound callous. I walked over to where the charts were and noticed the bin was empty. Ok, looks like we’re all caught up.

I decided to walk around a bit and say hi to everyone. Sometimes I felt a little antisocial. I could blame the fact that my office was a little isolated. But to be honest, they weren’t really my type. They did a little too much gossiping and not enough working. Don’t get me wrong, I can joke around but I guess in a group of guys, I would be “the serious one.” I’ve heard that it comes off as snobby sometimes.

“Hey Cat! How’s it going this morning?”

“Pretty good, Kevin. Busy morning, huh? Seems like it slowed down a bit now.”

Cat was our front desk clerk this week. We have three clerks at all times, and they rotate weekly between front desk, phones, and income. She was nice enough. But she was young, and you can tell she talks about you as soon as you turn around. I decided to head back to my office. After looking at the schedule, I realized that there wouldn’t be an appointment for awhile.

I figured I could get information together for our next meeting, and in the meantime I can call Howie back. I must have missed the damn alarm the other night. I loved Howie like a brother, but I hated to call him out of the blue. I always felt like I was disturbing him because he has such a busy life. His wife, Leigh, just had a little girl named Caroline. And they already have a two year old, James. Howie and I went to college together. He was getting his degree in finance, and we ended up in an accounting class together. Who knew that a dietitian had to take accounting? Thank god he was in the class with me because I don’t think I would have been able to pass without him. After school he went on to get his MBA. Now he actually owns some hotels. Yeah, I said owned. They live in Florida, but we’ve always stayed in touch.

I was surfing the net when he picked up. “This is D.”

“Howie, you do have caller id…why do you pick up the phone like you don’t know who it is?” Howie is always all business, but is one of the sweetest guys you’ll meet.

“Hey Kev! I got a new phone and haven’t really switched everything over yet. I guess that’s lazy of me. See what having a new baby does to me? I’m so exhausted I can’t even think straight!”

He was serious. He can’t function without sleep. Any change in the poor guy’s sleeping patterns, and he’s lost.

“Congrats man. I’m sorry we haven’t made it out there to see her yet. Work has just been so busy that I haven’t been able to take the time off.” That was a lie. Truth was that we couldn’t afford the tickets. I didn’t want to tell him that because I know he would offer to pay, and I don’t want him to.

“It’s ok, man. You know how it is. She’s really just pooping, eating, and sleeping. But enough about me, how’s work?”

I sighed. “It’s going ok, Howie. I guess it’s just not what I expected. But when I have my good days, they’re really good. I feel satisfied and appreciated when they listen to what I say, you know?”

“Kev, you know every job has its ups and downs. You deserve to be happy, but keep in mind that no job is perfect. Really think about what you want to do. If your heart is telling you to look elsewhere, then you should.”

Yeah but it’s not like hopes and dreams will pay the bills.

“You know if you ever need anything, Kevin, you can call me.”

Did I say that last statement about the bills out loud? I swear, he knows me too well.

“I’m good, Howie. I think I’m just gonna stick with it for at least a year and see how it goes. I’m gonna have to start thinking though because I’m coming up on a year soon. Money’s tight, but we’ll survive.” I wanted to change the subject. I didn’t want us to be pitied. I hate that feeling. I mean, I know that Howie truly cares about my family but still…I didn’t need to complain to him.

“Well Kev, I wanted to talk to you to tell you that John and I will be in town to scope out a new area. It’ll probably be in a couple of weeks, but I’ll definitely keep you informed. I want to spend some time with you and the family. Cool?”

“Of course, Howie. I can’t wait to see you. Well I should go so that I can get back to work. Send my love to the kids and to Leigh. Is she breastfeeding?” I couldn’t help myself.

“Yes, she is. And if she wasn’t, I wouldn’t admit it to you.” We both chuckled. What can I say, I can make my opinions known when I wanted to.

“Good, Howie. Well, keep in touch and I’ll talk to you soon.”

“Later, man.”
Chapter End Notes:
I'll be back later this week with the last chap!