- Text Size +
Chapter Six

As I headed up the stairs, I checked my device for the clues I had already gathered. The game was pretty much half over. I had three cleared suspects, three cleared weapons, and four cleared rooms.

I was pretty impressed with myself.

Once I got to the second floor, I wrapped my hand around the banister and looked down. I couldn't help but think it would be a long fall.

I crept down the hallway, keeping close to the wall. It was even darker up on the second story than it had been on the first. The first couple of doors opened right away. After about the fifth door, I found one that was locked. I glanced to the side and saw the panel.

Bingo.

I tapped my device against the panel and entered. I looked around and laughed.

The guys had transformed the room into a makeshift studio with drums, guitars, a mixing board...the whole nine yards.

And Howie was lying on the floor in a true dead man pose, his head under the couch. His Wookie head was over by the drums.

"I know you're not going to talk to me before I find the clue," I said. "Right?"

He didn't answer.

"Alright, be that way," I said.

I began my hunt around the room. I quickly became frustrated. I had assumed the kitchen was going to be the hardest. The studio was kicking my ass.

"You sure do know how to make things difficult D," I said.

No answer.

I finally found the jump drive wedged into an amp. I sat down on top of it and plugged the drive into my device.

"I found it D," I said. I sniffed. "Why does it smell funny in here?"

No answer.

I glanced down at the screen. The eighth clue was bathroom.

"Not the bathroom, huh?" I said aloud. "That makes sense. Another person probably couldn't fit into the bathroom with Lou. Right D?"

I put the jump drive back. Howie still hadn't moved. I kicked the bottom of his shoe with mine.

"C'mon! Gimme your clue!"

No answer.

I glanced over towards the drums set. The Wookie head was just laying there grinning at me. It looked like it had landed in some oil.

"Dude, bad place to put your head. There's oil or something down here," I said. I bent down and picked up the fuzzy Wookie.

And Howie's head rolled out.

"AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I dropped the Wookie. My heart had just gone from zero to two hundred. Howie's eyes were wide open and there was a look of pure horror.

"JEN!!! JUSTIN!!" I screamed. I started to look up at the ceiling for a camera. "HELP!!!!"

I turned back to Howie lying under the couch. I wasn't thinking straight, but I had a hope that this was another prank. If it was I was going to kick him in the nuts. I grabbed his feet and yanked.

Out came Howie's body.

But he was missing a head.

The room spun uncontrollably.

I'm pretty sure I fainted.

------------------------------------

When I came to, I was inches from Howie's feet. I tried to tell myself it was all just a bad dream, but when I looked across the room there was Howie's head. It was still looking at me.

"Oh my god. Oh my god," I mumbled. I scrambled to my feet. I began sweating profusely.

This wasn't fake. There was no way you could not have a head. At least I was pretty sure you had to have a head to live.

Of course you did. What the hell was I thinking?

I stood up and made sure that I wasn't going to pass out again. I felt like vomiting. I was a big fan of horror movies, but this wasn't a movie. This was real.

Howie was...dead.

My brain was sluggish. I closed my eyes.

Think.

I figured the first thing I needed to do was call 911. I pulled out my cell.

No signal.

Alright, plan B. The first thing I had to do was get the other guys out of the rooms. I decided to backtrack. After all, this wasn't about a game anymore.

It looked like we had become the game for someone.

And it didn't take a genius to figure out who that someone was.

I made my way back down the stairs. I constantly looked around. The back of my t-shirt was drenched with perspiration.

Once I got downstairs, I headed back to the dining room. The red light wasn't on. I tapped my device and slid in. The moment the door locked, I lost it.

"BRI! HOWIE'S DEAD! WE'VE GOT TO GET EVERYONE TOGETHER! I NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE CONTROL ROOM IS TO--"

I stopped. Bri was slumped down at the table again. His head was laying in a large pool of blood. The gun was covered with blood and flesh. It looked like someone had hit him full force with the barrel several times.

His hand was stretched out as if trying to reach for help. It was the hand that actually caused me to keel over and vomit.

Someone had caught off his wedding ring finger.

Once the contents of my stomach had completely emptied onto the floor, I got out of there. I was too stunned to cry.

However, I wasn't too stunned to yell when I ran right into Alyssa.

"AAAAAHHHH!" we both screamed. I jumped back and quickly looked for a weapon.

"I'm sorry," she gasped.

"Did you do it?" I asked.

"Do what?"

I stopped.

"Stay right here. Don't go anywhere," I said.

She looked at me like I was nuts, but she nodded. I kept my eye on her just in case. I headed down to the kitchen. I tapped my device, the door unlocked, and I looked in.

I quickly shut the door.

Leighanne was dead. Very dead. The fake knife through her stomach had been replaced with a real butcher knife. She was pinned to the chair.

And the damn bat was still flying around.

I let myself back out. Alyssa was still standing where I had left her.

It didn't seem like Alyssa would have done this. I had bumped into her on her way out of the kitchen and at that time Leighanne had been very much alive.

"You've got to come with me," I said.

"Why?"

I swallowed. "Someone's going from room to room killing everyone."

Her eyes widened. "What? Is this some kind of joke or--"

"It's not a joke," I said. I paused. "How well do you know Ivanka?"

Alyssa blanched.

"The four of us needed a fifth player and found her on the fanclub. She's creep," she said. She turned pale. "Do you think--?"

"That's my guess," I said. I licked my lips. They were dry. But at least they were alive.

"Have you been down to the movie room yet?" I asked.

She shook her head.

I swallowed hard. I had a bad feeling of what I'd find. But I needed to see for myself.

"Follow me," I said.

"And watch your step."

-----------------------------------

Author's Note: I posted a chapter of this at work really quick since I have Internet here. My Internet at home should be back up late tonight. Expect updates on the other stories tomorrow morning! I should mention that this story is only ten chapters long. I will be updating one new chapter on Fridays only from now on. The story will end October 29 right in time for Halloween. I look forward to reading what you guys think! :)