- Text Size +
Both Alma and Wentworth were acting a little off color with one another over the next few days and everyone noticed.

“MILLER! GOMEZ! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU TWO?” Brendan yelled. “LAST WEEK T HAT SCENE WOULD HAVE BEEN PERFECT AFTER ONE TAKE. AND NOW? IT SHOULDN’T TAKED FIFTEEN TAKES TO GET ONE DAMN SCENE! NOW GET OUT OF MY FACE BEFORE I GET REALLY MAD!”
They walked slowly to their trailers, not saying a word to each other. Alma sat in her giant cube chair and thought. They needed to do something or they were going to ruin the movie.
*~*~*~*~*

In his trailer Wentworth was pacing. He needed to do something or the movie was going to go to hell.
*~*~*~*~*
Alma woke with a start. Wondering who was pounding on her bedroom like that and why.

“Come on Alma, open the door!” Wentworth repeated.

Sleepily she asked, “How’d you get into my apartment?”

“You’re not in your apartment. You’re in your trailer on set.”

She sat up and rubbed her eyes. When had she fallen asleep?

Alma unlocked and opened the door and in his hurry to get inside, Wentworth pretty much knocked her over.

“Dude,” she said. “Watch it.”

He held his hands up and replied, “Sorry.”

“What do you want?”

“Brendan’s gone for a few days. His daughter just had a baby,” he told her.
“Ummm, that’s nice, but what does it have to do with me?”

“Because it means we have four days off. Be ready at ten am, I’m coming to get you,” he told her.

“Ten am on my day off?? ARE YOU NUTS?” she gasped.

He smiled. “Yes, I am. But I’ve got something planned and if you’re not up by ten you’ll miss it.” Wentworth stood. “Beside, you’ve been asleep for five hours. You can’t tell me you won’t be up early.”

“Five hours?” she asked; he nodded. “CRAP! I missed the meeting.”

“When you didn’t show up Michelle called me. I told her that you were completely exhausted from a late night shoot and she said that it was fine.”

“Thanks,” Alma smiled.

“At least you’re smiling again. Anyway, if you’re not ready in the morning, I’m going to wake you up again,” he threatened.

Alma threw a pillow at him. “I’ll be up.”
They left the set in high spirits and Alma wondered what he had in store for her.
*~*~*~*
Wentworth went back to his hotel, put on his disguise, and went to the grocery store.

He got everything he had planned on picking up and then went in search of a picnic basket large enough to carry it all.
*~*~*~*~*
Alma was up at eight the next morning; she felt rested and refreshed. She hadn’t been able to fall asleep the night before and by midnight she had had to brew her ‘stinky pee tea’ because it knocked her out within minutes.
Since she didn’t know what Wentworth had planned, she dressed carefully. She chose jeans, purple converse and her ‘Team Edward’ t-shirt.
*~*~*~*~*
Wentworth drove over to Alma’s slowly, wondering if he should just turn around and forget everything he had planned. “Too late now,” he muttered to himself as he pulled up in front of the apartment building where she lived.

He walked quickly to the door and knocked before he could talk himself into changing his mind.

Alma was all smiles when she answered the door. “Hi,” she said. “Let me get my bag and I’ll be ready to go.”

He waited by the door while she went to grab the bag she had purposely left in her bedroom.

As they walked back to his car, he noticed that her bag had a photograph of Taylor Lautner on it with the phrase “Portable Space Heater” printed under it and he snickered.

“What?”

“Why is Taylor a “Portable Space Heater”?” he asked.

“Read Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and then you’ll know,” she replied.

“And I suppose I’ll find out what ‘Team Edward’ is also?”

“Psh. Duh. By the end of the summer you will k now. I am making you read all four books.”

“Yes ma’am!” Wentworth saluted.

“They’re good books. You’ll like them. And I happened to know that you were at the Hollywood premiere of Twilight.”

“I don’t think I wanna know how you know that,” Wentworth laughed.

“Yeah, you probably don’t,” she laughed back. “Where are we going anyway?”

“You’ll find out when we get there.”

They drove on in silence for a while; the silence was once again comfortable and both people in the car relaxed at being able to be near one another without freaking out again.

They pulled to a stop seemingly in the middle of nowhere and Alma joked, “Is this the part where you drag me out to middle of nowhere and leave my body to the elements?”

“Hahaha. You’re hilarious you know.” He moved to the trunk and pulled out the large picnic basket. “Follow me.”

He led her on a fifteen minute hike that ended in the middle of a meadow.

Turning in a circle, Alma asked, “How’d you find this place? I’ve lived here my whole life and I’ve never seen this place.”

“I like to explore. Well,” he laughed. “that and my car broke down the third day I was in town.”

Alma laughed as the two spread the red and white checked blanket across the ground.

As he began to pull the food from the basket, Alma said, “So, what does your name mean?”

“The meaning of my name?”

“Yeah.”

“It means ‘pale man’s settlement’. Not too interesting.”

She smiled. “What about your middle name?”

“It has two. ‘Nobleman’ and ‘Leader’. You’re full of questions aren’t you?”

“Why, yes, yes I am. What about your last name?”

“It means ‘One who grinds grain’. Now tell me what your name means. First. Middle. And last.”

“Well, my first name means ‘soul’. My middle name means ‘flower,’ and I’m not exactly sure what my last name means. I’ve never been able to find anything.”

“I think I’m gonna call you ‘Soul’ from now on.”

“Thanks…Paleman,” Alma giggled.

“funny,” he tossed a grape at her head.

They fell back into the comfortable silence again as they begin to eat.

A while later Alma set her plate down beside her and lay back with her head in the grass. Moments later, Wentworth joined her.

“So,” he spoke. “What are you thinking?”

She pointed. “How that cloud looks like my kitty French Toast.”

“French Toast? That’s an interesting name for a cat who most likely looks nothing like its namesake.”

“You’re right. FT looks nothing like French toast, but he is cute.”

“Sure he is.”

“That one looks like Waffles,” Alma said, pointing at another cloud.

“Dare I ask who ‘Waffles’ is?”

“Michelle’s bunny. He has a full name which is ‘Waffles Chester Black’.”

“That’s…interesting.”

“Yeah, Michelle’s a pretty weird person and she’d be the first to admit it.”

He laughed, “I’ve got a few friends like that.”

“Weird friends are the best kind to have.”

“Too true,” Wentworth stood and walked to the pond. “That little waterfall is more beautiful that some of the larger ones I’ve encountered.”

Alma joined him after repacking the picnic basket. “You’re right,” she said. “It is pretty.”

“I wonder if the water’s cold or not,” he said aloud.

“Why don’t you stick your hand in and find out?” Alma suggested.

He smiled widely. “I have a better idea I think,” he turned toward her, still smiling.

Alma got his meaning and began backing away, but he caught her around the waist and tossed her into the pond before she could blink.

The pond was only about two feet deep. Alma sat up with her arms crossed over her chest with a ‘hmmmph’ look on her face. “WHAT’D YOU DO THAT FOR?” she shouted.

Wentworth shrugged, “I wanted to test the water.”
“It’s not funny,” she hissed as he doubled over with laughter.

“You don’t have to stay in the pond you know. You can get out.”

“You threw me in; you get me out.”

“Oh no! I know what you’re thinking. There is no way I’m getting into that pond.”

“Oh yes you are,” Alma stated as she jumped up and ran toward him. Wentworth of course, ran the other way.

He stopped for just a second to catch his breath and Alma jumped onto his back.

“TO THE POND!!” she shouted as she began laughing. “COME ON, TO THE POND!”

He sighed in defeat. “At least let me take my phone out of my pocket.”

“Drop it on the blanket,” Alma told him, still holding on.

He walked to the blanket and dropped his phone and wallet onto it and walked toward the pond.

At the last second, Alma dropped back to the ground and told him, “Payback is fun,” and promptly pushed him in.

She started to turn away and he said, “Oh no you don’t,” grabbed her wrist and pulled her back into the pond.

Alma landed on top of him and began giggling.
“Trying to drown me?” he laughed.

“Hey! You’re the one who pulled me in.”

She stood and held her hand out to him. “Come on, we need to dry off.”

They were lying on their backs, pointing our shapes in the clouds again, when Wentworth turned on his side to face Alma.

“What,” she asked. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

“Nothing,” he said. “I just felt like looking at you to make you ask questions.”

“Umm…okay.”

A few minutes later she felt his eyes on her again. “Yes?”

“Nothing,” he grinned.

The grinning was getting to her; she started to push herself into a sitting position so she could stand and walk away but Wentworth caught her wrist. “Where do you think you’re going?” he asked seconds before kissing her.