- Text Size +
I wish that I could wake up with amnesia
And forget about the stupid little things

-5 Seconds of Summer 'Amnesia'


We showed up at Kevin's doorstep early the next afternoon. We hadn't even called him first, Brian and I just decided to go over there and surprise him.

He didn't even look annoyed at the two of us just standing there and showing up unannounced. Yet another sign that things were weird in the group. Normally Kevin hated that kind of thing. He's a planner and organizer through and through.

But he smiled when he opened the door to let us in, and then he wrapped both of us in a tight hug.

“Hey fellas,” he said after he pulled away. “Good to see you.”

Like we hadn't just seen him a week ago. I think the break was beginning to mess with the timing in our heads a little.

“Hey Kevin,” Brian said, smiling at him all the same. “Where's the little one?” he laughed.

I snickered a little bit too. Nick really was becoming like Kevin's kid as of late.

Kevin rolled his eyes like he was irritated, but I knew he wasn't. If he was, Nick wouldn't be staying at his place. Actually, he probably would be. But I still knew Kevin wasn't annoyed by his presence.

“He's playing video games in the living room.”

Brian nodded, shifting uncomfortably in his spot for a moment before slipping off his shoes and going off in search of Nick.

After he was gone, I turned to Kevin. “We thinking about an impromptu trip to the pier. Brian and I went there for a little bit yesterday, but we decided it'd be better with you guys.”

Kevin raised his eyebrow. “Really?”

“Yeah!” That actually had happened. We were there for about half an hour before we'd started reminiscing and finally deciding on coming back the next day with Nick and Kevin. Neither of us said it out loud, but I knew we were both thinking the same thing. It'd probably be a nice way to try and reconnect before the tour started... and the ocean would be a good distraction for Nick, who might bored with us easily.

“Okay,” Kevin shrugged. “Let me go get changed then.”

~~~


I walked into the living room and looked at Nick. He looked fine. I don't know what I was expecting – maybe that he'd be more banged up or that he'd look more pissed off.

But he looked normal – whatever normal was for him lately. He was just sitting on the sofa with his legs crossed, staring intently at the TV screen with a controller in his hand.

He was eerily reminiscent of the 13 year old kid I remembered. Just a lot taller.

“Hey Nicky,” I said, walking towards him,

He looked up at me for a split second before turning his attention back to his game. “Hi.”

“What'cha playing?” I tried, realising that I had no idea how to talk to him like we were friends.

He didn't even glance at me. “Final Fantasy,” he said, before drawing in a deep breath and glaring at the screen. Something must have happened in the game, but when I looked over at the TV I really couldn't figure out what it was.

“How're things?” I tried again.

“Shitty. They just killed my mage.”

I rolled my eyes. “I meant with you.”

“Oh. Fine,” he shrugged, zoning out and concentrating on the game again. So much for me trying to get through to him. I didn't even know what I'd say if and when I got there anyway, so it was probably for the best.

So I just decided to change the subject. “Howie and I thought that the four of us could go to the pier today.”

That got him to look at me. It was so easy to bait him. “The pier?” he asked, his voice brightening a little bit.

“Yeah. We could walk around or go swimming or something.”

Nick cocked his head to the side like he was considering it, but I knew he had already decided it was a good idea.

“Yeah, okay,” he said finally, tossing his controller to the side and walking off. “I'll go get my trunks.”

So predictable. At least he hadn't completely lost every facet of his personality.

~~~


Going to Santa Monica Pier actually turned out to be a really good idea, I had to hand it to Howie and Brian.

The four of us were walking along the board walk, eating ice cream, laughing and talking. Even Nick, who seemed lately like he couldn't care less about anything looked like he was happy.

“Where'd you get that swimsuit, Howie?” he giggled, walking a couple of paces behind us. “The clearance rack at Wal-Mart?”

I smirked at glanced at Howie. His swim trunks were bright orange with little palm trees scattered all over. Trust Nick to latch onto those and make fun. Whatever kept his brain occupied was fine with me – and making fun of Howie was always good for that.

“No Nick, for your information these are Calvin Klein.”

“Bullshit, they are not classy enough to be Calvin Klein.”

Howie rolled his eyes and I had to stifle a laugh. “Swim trunks don't have to be classy, Nicky. Besides, what would you know about that?”

Oh Howie, don't even try to dish it out on him. You'll just make it worse.

“My swim trunks are super classy,” he said, pointing downwards.

They actually weren't that classy. They were just plaid. But I guess they were classier than Howie's, which was probably Nick's less than articulate point.

“Uh huh,” Howie continued, clearly uninterested in engaging Nick any further. “I'm getting a coffee.”

“I'll join you,” I said, following him over to the stand. “Guys?” I asked, glancing over at Brian and Nick.

“Nah,” Brian shook his head. “Actually, I'm going to go down to the water... Nick?”

Nick glanced over at me, his eyes sort of wide and concerned. I think he was hoping I'd bail him out of going down to the water alone with Brian.

But I wasn't about to do that.

“Yeah, okay,” he said finally, scuffing his flip-flops along the boardwalk as he followed Brian down to the beach.

~~~


I followed behind Brian with my head down. I didn't know what the fuck I was supposed to say to him and I still had no idea why he was here and suddenly acting like we were his best friends.

Walking along the pier? We hadn't done that in... I couldn't remember the last time we'd done that. So that tells you how long ago it was. Probably when I was like, fourteen.

“Water's nice!” Brian called out to me. He was already up to his ankles in it. But he hadn't taken his shirt off, so he probably wasn't planing on going any further in.

I laughed and ran towards him, purposely kicking up water once my feet hit it.

It splashed all over his legs and trunks. Ha!

“Yeah,” I grinned, wading my feet around a little bit until the water was partway up my legs. Then I walked a little bit further.

“Jesus fuck!” I shouted as the water hit my crotch. No matter how warm it was, that part always sucks the most about going to the beach.

I actually heard Brian laugh behind me. He must have been following me. I sort of thought he wouldn't, which was why I'd gone in further, I guess. I stopped when the water was partway up my stomach.

“We're going back on tour soon,” he started, looking at me.

I raised my eyebrow. I didn't know what he was trying to do, but it really seemed like he was trying to have some sort of Kevin-like heart-to-heart conversation. Uh, no thanks, Brian.

“Yup,” I said, pressing my lips together.

He looked at me sadly for a second. I braced myself to tell him to fuck off when he started with the Kevin “I'm just concerned about you.” act, but he didn't. Instead he just sighed and smiled at me.

“We'll always be friends, Nicky,” he said softly.

If this was his way of starting something, I didn't give a shit. But I didn't really want to ruin our nice day, either. So I just took my hand and sliced it through the water, splashing him with a heavy dose of water. “You know it,” I laughed.

And he laughed too, splashing me back until the two of us were soaked.

“Think those old men are done with their coffees?” he laughed, water dripping off of his hair.

I snorted. “Kevin's probably not even done ordering.” I splashed him again.

“Yeah,” he laughed, using both of his hands to splash me and then throwing himself into the water in an attempt to swim away.

I chased after him, and I'm a much better swimmer than he is so it wasn't hard. I caught up to him, grabbing onto his legs and pulling him underneath before swimming away and grinning at him.

It was actually a pretty good day.