- Text Size +
Chapter Eight - On the Way to L.A.

"So is this the program that the magazines use to airbrush people to make them look thinner?"

Nate laughed. "Yeah, but I use it just to clear up small background details. You don't need airbrushed."

I smiled happily. My whole posse was on the plane to L.A. with me. Kayleigh's flight was scheduled to land later tonight. We'd have a whole free day together before my first Cali concert where I expected her to rock out in the front row.

Angel was sitting a row behind us talking on her cellphone. I tapped one of my pictures.

"There's got to be something you'd want to change," I teased. "You're a guy after all."

Nate closed the laptop. His hand fell to my knee.

"Not a thing."

His hand felt amazing. After the whole bus thing, we hadn't gotten any farther than kissing. Not that I was complaining. His lips had a license to thrill.

And thrill they did.

"So you're not going to give me a digital boob job?" I asked. I had given up on worrying about my mouth censor. It was completely and utterly broken around him.

Nate's eyes sparkled. His eyes scanned the area around us and then focused right down into my clevage. The hand that was resting on my knee trailed up my body. He grabbed my breast for just a second before sliding his arm around me.

"They're perfectly fine," he diagnosed.

My mouth flapped like a fish out of water. I wanted to say something witty, but he had just grabbed my boob! He chuckled, leaned over, and kissed me.

Okay, so words weren't that important. I leaned into him and tilted my head slightly. My lips opened in invitation. He always tasted like cinnamon. Of course, that made sense because he was so spicy and...

"Brooke?"

We reluctantly pulled away. Angel was hovering over our seats. She was pretending to ignore the fact that I was trying to makeout on the plane.

"What's up?" I asked after a second. Nate opened his laptop back up.

"I was just talking to the tour team," Angel said. "They've found an opening act for the rest of your tour."

"That's great!" I said with a smile. My first opening act had been three girls that were barely thirteen. I think everyone in the audience felt kind of dirty watching them. They shook more stuff than I did and they didn't even have the stuff to shake yet! Needless to say, they had moved on before we took off to L.A.

"Yeah..." Angel said. I didn't like her tone of voice.

"What's wrong?"

"Well, I don't want you to spazz," she warned.

"What? I don't spazz!" I said. Nate snorted. I smacked his shoulder. "Who is it?"

"It's Grenadine."

-----------------------------------

"Brooke, come out of the bathroom. We're almost ready to buckle up again and you need to be back in your seat," Angel said. She tapped on the door again.

"GIVE ME A MINUTE!" I said. I heard a frustrated sigh.

Okay, so maybe I did spazz. I had locked myself in the bathroom for forty-five minutes. But I had a right to spazz. Why?

Why me?

Of course, I didn't spazz alone. The moment I stopped hyperventilating, I called dad.

"I'm working on it, honey. At the longest, it will only be a few dates," dad promised. "How are you doing other than this?"

I sighed. "I'm fine. I was perfect. Until this."

"I know," dad said. "But you're the bigger person here. Trevor's the one that should feel awkward. Not you."

He was right; but it still didn't make the whole thing feel less awkward.

"How's everything at home?" I asked sullenly. "How's mom?"

"Well," dad sounded kind of excited. "Mom and the babies are doing pretty well. Except for the constant vomiting."

My eyes widened. "Babies?"

Dad laughed. "Twins."

"And she didn't kill you?"

Dad stopped laughing.

"Let's not get into that right now."

I smiled. "I miss you guys."

"We miss you too BooBoo. Hey, Noah wanted to know if you listened to the song he gave you at the airport."

I smacked my forehead. "I totally forgot. Tell him I'll listen to it tonight."

"Will do. Love you baby girl."

"Love you too, dad."

I hung up, took a deep breath and opened the door. Angel looked at me in concern.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded. "I needed a dad talk."

We walked back to our seats in silence. I buckled in. Angel did the same behind me. Nate looked like he wanted to say something but was smart enough to know better.

"Why them?" I asked aloud. I still couldn't let it go. I heard Angel lean forward as much as the belt would allow.

"They couldn't fill the small venues on the West Coast. Since you're under the same label, the company decided to merge them with you to see if things improved."

"I don't want them," I moaned. If I was being specific, I didn't want to see Trevor. Not this soon. Not after he had broken up with me over the phone.

"I know. But your dad talked to the promoters. I talked to the promoters. Even if we can get them off the tour, it's not going to be for at least a few stops."

I sighed. "I know. Dad told me."

"What's bad about Grenadine?" Nate asked cautiously. I looked at him. I figured if I didn't tell him, he was going to find out sooner or later.

"Trevor Tylers and I were kinda seeing each other," I explained. "He broke up with me."

Nate laughed. I couldn't believe he laughed!

"He broke up with you? What a loser."

I smiled. "Really?"

"A total loser," Nate said. "Of course, you can do better."

I laughed. He wiggled his eyebrows insinuatingly. I felt my darn eyelashes bat again.

"I think I can too."

------------------------------------------

"Wow, this hotel rocks," Nate said.

We were staying at the Sofitel Hotel. Everything was chrome, black, and ultra sleek.

"It beats the bus doesn't it?" I asked. Nate laughed.

"Well, I'm sure your bus isn't bad. Sharing a small space with other guys isn't exactly fun."

I smiled. "Yeah, dad used to say it was nuts when he had to share one bus with the other guys."

I handed Nate a room key. "Luckily, I was nice and got you your own room."

His eyes widened in surprise. "Really?"

I laughed. "I thought you could use some quiet while you worked."

I got a dimpled grin. "That's awesome."

We all headed up to our rooms. Per dad's request, Angel's room was adjoining to mine. Kayleigh was going to stay with me. Nate was down the hall. The dancers and band were scattered all throughout the floor.

I had no idea where Grenadine was staying. Not that I cared. I didn't. Not at all. Uh-uh.

"I'm going to go unpack," Nate said. He tapped his bag. "But maybe you and I can go have a late lunch?"

I nodded. "I'd love that. My best friend is flying in tonight."

Nate smiled. "I can't wait to meet her."

I watched him walk down the hall. His butt looked amazing. I fanned myself, giggled, and unlocked my door. I headed in with some of my bags. A huge cart with the rest of my stuff shouldn't have been far behind. I flipped on the light and looked around.

The suite was amazing. It had an entertainment lounge, a huge bedroom, an opulent bathroom, and a balcony.

As I headed towards the balcony, I stopped to admire a HUGE bouquet of red roses. I leaned down and inhaled the beautiful scent. I pulled out the card. I always loved the welcome cards from the hotel.

But it wasn't a welcome from the hotel.

Brooke -

By now I'm sure you heard we're you're opening act. These past few weeks have been absolute torture for me. I made a mistake. I know I hurt you. Can you find it in your heart to just give me a chance to explain? I miss your beautiful smile.

Love, Trevor