- Text Size +
"I swear. I wonder why we even go out to dinner anymore when you can't get a table right away," Leigh Anne huffed as the group was escorted to a large set of tables toward the center of the restaurant.
Brian stopped and gently pulled her back with him."This is your Birthday. Could you at least be grateful for a few minutes?"
"Why? You're a celebrity. They should have had it set and ready to go before we got here."
"I don't want to say this Leigh but you've become a snob."
"Me?! Rochelle's got me beat there."
"Now you're just being mean to be mean. I'm beggin you to stop this childish behavior."
"You think I'm being childish?! I'll give you childish!" She started stomping through the restaurant to catch up to the group.
He followed quickly behind her and caught her arm again at the table. She turned to face him." What is this really about Leigh?" They'd been arguing everyday for nearly two weeks. They'd been married ten years and had never argued over anything more than what he was wearing out the door that night. Lately, she'd start one over something as small as getting Baylee out of bed in the morning.
"So now I'm not invisible?!"
"Excuse me?"
"We used to talk all the time Brian and now it's like you can't stand to carry on a conversation with me in public."
"As opposed to you flirting with every waiter that waits on us every time we go out to dinner?"
"If we'd have had a host and not a hostess we'd have been here a hell of a lot faster than we were."
This wasn't the woman he married. What was going on?"So one of us was supposed to turn on the charm so you didn't have to stand in your three inch heels for more than five seconds?!"
"Yes!"
He rolled his eyes incredulously."you amaze me."
"You amazed me at one time."
"Now we know why I've been sleeping on the couch the last two weeks. It's a wonder I didn't rush over to the bar, grab that blonde and bend her over the barstool."
She smirked."You'd be lucky if she so much as looked at you. Women want a strong, virile looking man not a scrawny assed, balding boybander."
"You did."
"I must have been on drugs."
"So you really think women don't find me attractive anymore?"
"No I don't."
"Let's test your theory then. First one that looks my way is sleeping in OUR bed tonight."
"Oh! I'm scared."
She mocked him just as he locked eyes with the most gorgeous baby blues he'd ever encountered. He knew it was just an idle threat but the sensation he got was something he hadn't ever felt in his life. They talk about love at first sight but he couldn't believe there was really such a thing." There she is."
Leigh Anne turned her head to find the object of Brian's sudden fixation."Go for it!" She challenged.
"Brian. Come on. You don't wanna do this. Let's just salvage what we can of the evening,"Howie urged.
"I'll let it rest but I've lost my appetite. I think I'm just gonna call it a night. Happy Birthday Leigh!" Not once letting his gaze drift from the stranger at the bar.




"Did you catch that eye candy over there lady?" Skylar nudged as Alyssa sipped on her strawberry dacquiri.
"Yeah. I have," She responded as his eyes bore into her. Almost like he was looking right through her and into her soul.
Yeah, she was a hopeless romantic. Too bad the guy already had a girlfriend or wife. Same old story. Just when she thought she had one down, the girlfriend or wife would always appear at his side. She hadn't given up on love. She'd just given up looking for it. Seemed like it was staring her right in the eyes at that very moment but she'd never know.
Skylar had seen the look in her friend's eyes. At least she thought it was that same look of desire Alyssa had at least once a week. Thank God their pager went off just then."Let's go lady. Our table's ready."
"Okay." She followed her friend blindly through the sea of tables before the waiter seated them. Placing the menus before them he politely told them he would return in a few minutes to take their orders. She couldn't get those eyes out of her mind though. The fates weren't in her favor apparently. Maybe they were trying to tell her that she'd see him again, to just sit tight and enjoy what you've got right now.
"The waiter's kinda hot isn't he?"
"Yeah. He's okay but you always go for a man in uniform." Teasing her friend and coming back to reality. There was no such thing as love at first sight. She just had to settle for the dream of it.
"Girlie. You'll thank me later."
"For what?"
"For stopping you from making a mess of your night."
"I forgot. Girl's night out even if we meet a guy whilst we're dancing later."
"You got it sister."
Holding her drink up, she nodded to Skylar to do the same." A toast. Screw men! Tonight it's all about the girls!" She just wished she believed she'd heed that.