- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A big thank you to everyone that's been reading and am glad you've enjoyed it this far.


Chapter 4


"So that's courtesy of?" Brian raised his brow inquisitively after noticing the rather large marking on Skylar's neck.
"Really?" Brushing it off as they waited for their order at Starbuck's that morning.
"So you and Nick are?"
"I guess we are exclusively screwing each other."
"Do you have no shame?"
"Not really." She grinned and picked up her Caramel steamer where their order had been placed.
Brian picked his up and followed her to a table in the corner. "So how's that friend of yours doing?"
"You mean Alyssa?"
"Yeah."
"You interested in her?"
"No. Just curious if casanova's broke her heart yet."Taking a sip of his coffee and trying hard to avoid eye contact with his newfound friend of three months. She could read him like the back of her hand. Of course he was interested. Skylar was his in. He just had to get rid of Mark.
"Brian. Look at me."
"What?" Raising his gaze toward her.
"You like her. I'm not stupid. There's a reason Marky Mark didn't introduce you to her. You're a threat."
"Me?"
"Why are you so surprised? You're the All American boy. Women love that."
"You didn't."
"Only because you aren't the right size for me,"she teased.
"Apparently I'm not the right size for a lot of women."
"Meaning?"
"Meaning one size does not fit all. Leigh can find a way to ruin anything for me. She uses my child to keep me from being happy while she's having the time of her life."
"I'll kick her ass if you want me too."
"Would ya?" He smiled.
"Brian. I've seen your face go from sixty to zero the minute you stopped asking about Alyssa and started talking about Leigh. I don't a lot about what happened there but Nick tells me that Leigh Anne always treated you like dirt. Despite what the press ever showed of you . She always played nice in public. Is that true?"
"Yeah," he answered reluctantly.
"You deserve to be happy Brian and every time I mention my friend, your face lights up like fireworks on the Fourth Of July."
"Because you know what your heart wants. I've never been so drawn to anyone in my life Sky. I never believed in love at first sight until I saw her that night."
"What night?"
"The night of LeighAnne's Birthday dinner."
Alyssa's jaw dropped. She couldn't believe he remembered Alyssa from six months ago. Scratch that. Alyssa never forgot his face either. She knew that much. She could see it in her eyes that afternoon at the party. She was so mesmerized she didn't care if Mark knew or not."I've got to get you two together."
"But what about Mark?"
"I'll take care of that. You just need to show up at my party."
"For what?"
"For my Birthday."
"When is your Birthday?"
"Two weeks from now. You will be there."
"That wasn't a question was it?"
"No. If I have to have Nick toss you over his shoulder and drag your ass here, you'll be here."
"You don't take no for an answer do you?"
"Not if I can help it. You should know that by now."
"Fine. I'll be there."
"Like I really had to twist your arm."


Two weeks later on the night of Skylar's party, Alyssa had TMZ on the TV when she should have been setting up. She couldn't help it though. She watched it religiously. Some things you just don't give up just because it's your friend's birthday. After she watched it she was going to give Skylar her present but something came on the screen that changed her mind. There was her friend and the man she knew should be hers. She had no right to be jealous. They were both grown women. Alyssa was denying herself the happiness she knew she could have if she just had the guts to leave Mark but there was her best friend betraying her. Right in front of God and everybody. She couldn't stand to watch the remainder of what was transpiring on the screen so she flipped it off.
"Anything good on the tube lady?" Skylar bounced into the room.
"Not really."
"Shouldn't you be watching TMZ right now?"
"It's just a bunch of garbage,"Alyssa replied and got up off the couch.
"You didn't think so yesterday."
"Nobody was answering the door so I let myself in. Is that okay Skylar?" Nick had entered the room.
Alyssa shook her head in disgust."Happy Birthday." And left the room.
"What's eating her?"Nick asked; confused.
"I'm not sure. Make yourself at home and I'll find out. Beer is in the cooler on the deck if you want one. I'll be back soon as I can,"Skylar said and went to find her friend. She pushed the partially opened door wide and sat down next to her friend on the bed. "What did I do?"
"Two?"
"What are you talking about?"
"I saw you on TMZ with that guy and now this one?!"
Shit! She wanted to tell Alyssa her plan but Mark had that immaculate timing.
"I'm sorry. Did I interrupt something?"
"Nothing that can't wait,"Alyssa said sharply and got up off the bed to greet him.
"Happy Birthday Skylar."
"Whatever." She left the room. She'd been wanting to set up Brian and Alyssa for a month now but she just didn't have the motivation until he confessed. She knew Brian was insanely in love with her friend from the day they met at the party. If Callie(Miss Double D's ) from next door didn't work she would have to go to plan B but she was pretty confident the aspiring actress from next door would catch Mark's attention so fast it'd makehis head spin.
"Something wrong?"He said as Alyssa returned to her place on the bed.
"I've known my friend to be a lot of things but slut is one thing I never thought I'd hear myself call her."
"I'm confused."
"I was watching TMZ tonight and there she was with another one of those idiots you work for."
"You mean Brian?"
"Is that his name?"
"Alyssa, they're just friends. She's dating Nick."
Relief washed over her but not for the reasons he would think. "So I'm like the worst friend in the world right now. And on her Birthday."
He took her hand."I'm sure if you explain it to her, she'll understand. You know she and I don't get along very well but I think she'd be happy to know that I pushed you in the right direction."
"I think I should go apologize to her."
"I think that's a good idea babe."
"You want a beer or something?"
"Why don't you go apologize to her friend and I'll find the beer."
"Thank you."Alyssa pecked him on the cheek and grabbed the small box from her dresser.
He followed her out of the room. Fuck! If I don't get some of that tonight, it's over as her behind guided his path back to the living room.
"Uh Sky.....Can we talk for a minute?"
"I don't know. You were talking in code there. "
"Because I didn't know what was going on myself and I just assumed the worst which is really terrible considering how we watch out for each other."
"So you thought I was doing two guys right?" Finally figuring out what Alyssa had been talking about.
Alyssa sighed." I know it's terrible but yeah. Why couldn't you tell me what was going on in your life?"
"Because I wanted to be sure of what was going on." Smiling over toward Nick.
"I guess I can understand that but can you ever forgive me?"
"Depends on what you got me for my Birthday,"Skylar teased.
"You funny lady. Here you go." She handed her the small box rectangular box wrapped in silver paper with a red bow set atop it. She watched as her friend's eyes lit up like the Northern lights when she discovered the pair of tickets to opening night of the brand new Harry Potter movie.
"Oh My God! I love you !" As she flung her arms around her friends. "You are the best!"
"What is it?" Nick inquired.
After she settled down, she sat down on the couch next to him and shown him what it was.
"Harry Potter? Don't you have to be like twelve to like that stuff?"
"Don't you have to be like twelve to play all those video games you play?"
"Whatever turns you on." He rolled his eyes.
She leaned in as her hand slid up his thigh and whispered in his ear,"You turn me on but that's an X-rated story."
"How 'bout that beer honey?" Alyssa took Mark's hand and stepped out onto the deck. It was filled with wine coolers and various beers. She knew there was plenty inside.
"Did that make you uncomfortable?" He pulled her onto his lap with her drink and his in hand.
She set them on the clear table top."A little maybe."
"Listen 'Lys, I'm fine with where we're at. Anything that's good is worth waiting for. We'll know when it's our time."
Now he had to go and start acting like a gentleman again. Took him long enough. But was he really worth holding onto after all?